The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Loving the pic dgrintalis! Something we can all aspire to! And good luck on the sale Hilary.

cspradbery, the big houses tend to add an acquisitions stage to the torturous process but not always. The editor trying to push my novel through said it's just a case of getting everyone together to sit down and thrash out what they think of the book. She didn't mention an acquisitions stage.

Astri, I'm around the same 3-week mark since second reads too (I think, maybe longer). I always envisaged you'd get second read notification then an R or a deal a week later. But it really doesn't work like that, arghhhh! But I have had updates along the way - including a meeting.

To update everyone, I actually met my editor a coupla days ago cos my agent had a party (those who follow me on twitter probably saw me mention party etc) and the editor was there *gulp* Didn't know this until the afternoon of the party (went straight from work so the attire sitch was a mare!). My agent's great, she grabbed me as soon as editor walked in and shoved me at her, ha ha!

It was VERY loud with lots of people chatting and music playing (good music. Rock, love!) so difficult to hear what she was saying. But ultimately, she said she adored the novel and cried at the end and now it's just a case of getting everyone to finish reading it then getting them all together after holiday season to discuss.

But one of their major authors is launching her third novel end of Oct so that has to be the priority. But they will get to my novel once they get to grips with this uber author pre-launch. She then said 'I'll talk to your agent and really hope to get back to you---' Yep, didn't hear that bit cos someone nearby laughed really loudly, nightmare! I think she said Monday or Tuesday but I could be wrong. I was gonna ask her to repeat but then when of her old colleagues came over so made polite goodbyes. Gah!

Anyway, I don't know, it was all very surreal. She's lovely, it's clear she loves the novel, we discussed things that could be changed and we seemed to be singing off the same hymn sheet. But I can't help but get this little niggling feeling: if she loved it, really loved it, wouldn't I have a deal by now? Maybe that's just my typical British cynicism. In fact, I feel completely like this journey is over, what is WRONG with me? I think it's cos it's been about 6 weeks since sub now and I always told myself 'if no deal by 6 weeks, the dream's over for this novel'.

I need to go read The Secret again and start talking to the Universe... ;-)

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Trixie - that party sounds amazing!! How freaking cool that you got to meet your editor. Whoo hoo!!!

And I just want to say...don't give up hope yet! 6 weeks really isn't that long. For example, my R&R that i'm waiting to hear the verdict on...we sent the original ms to the ed in question in DECEMBER. Each step of the process has taken a month to three months, and I'm still waiting...sometime this week the ed is meeting with her boss, so we should know whether it's going to acquisitions or not maybe this week. And while, yes, sometimes I feel like if it was going to happen, it would have by now...it's also made it through so many hoops already, that's got to be a good thing, right? Sometimes these things just move really slowly. I know the ed with my book really, REALLY wants to buy it...that she's been working hard to shore up support. I don't know if she's been able to or not, but the fact that she took longer to try, rather than just say "eh, got some mixed reactions, we're done" means a lot.

So hang in there!! (And I'll do the same). It doesn't hurt to prepare yourself for disappointment, but I wouldn't assume, by any means, that the time it's taking has any bearing on the outcome.

Good luck!!!

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
NEWS FLASH: The editor just emailed my agent to ask us to come in for a meeting to discuss an exclusive revise and resubmit. They can't make an offer right now as they still feel the novel needs work, but they really love it. My agent said we still have a few keen editors to hear from so until she hears back from all of them, she won't commit to a meeting yet.

So that's better than an R and it'll be pretty cool to go into the office of a maaaaajor publishing house in London to discuss my novel.

Anyway, will see what the other editors say, my agent's chasing them again (she's a little terrier).

Sorry for writing such long epic updates! And thanks for the word of encouragement Tracy, looks like we're in the same boat now...

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
WHOO HOO Trixie!!! That's great news!! DEFINITELY better than an R for sure!!! And how great that you have other eds interested as well. I hope your agent chases them down quickly!

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

Tracy, just read your initial post properly. I think the problem I have is that I have a very close friend who got a 6-figure deal within 6 weeks. There's also two other girls in my old writing group who also got good deals within a month.

BUT I must stop comparing myself to other writers. Plus I write in a different genre, a more difficult genre that's not selling too great at the moment.

I need to accept each path to publication is individual and while our paths might not be a smooth quick painless processes like my friends, they still might lead to deals at the end of the day. Have my fingers and toes crossed for that editorial meeting for your novel this week!

Anyway, thanks for everyone's support. The other interested editors are two editors who told my agent they're halfway through and loving it, the editor from the literary house who called my agent to specifically request it then two other editors my agent's not heard a ditty from despite chasing (but these are at the HUGE imprints: HC and TWorld so not expecting much there!). IF Rs roll in from all of them, agent will then set up a meeting with interested editor. She said she'll do this before she starts thinking about approaching smaller imprints.

One thing I know from this process whatever the outcome: my agent is amazing (and I know cos I had another one before to compare her to!) If any agentless querying writers reading this want to know who she is so they can query her, PM me!

Last edited:

cspradbery

Best before 1998
Registered
Reaction score
Wow Trixie, that sounds really promising!

Thanks for your feedback on my situation too. I can totally empathise with you about how long the whole process takes, as well as being resigned to the fact that it probably just won't happen. I'm sure part of that is me trying to temper the excitement, as if I let myself get my hopes up I'll be in for a bigger fall.

I'm sure you'll have good news, it sounds like a lot of people are liking your MS.

I still haven't had any more news, so for me it's currently one R and one going to the editorial board, with eight more to hear from.

Trixie - what genre do you write?

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
cspradbery, I write women's fiction now, but used to write YA - a booming market whereas women's fiction is struggling a bit, trust me to move into a struggling genre ;-)

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
*spreading the good luck mojo all around*

moonfairee

Registered
Reaction score
YAYYYYYYYYYYY Trixie that sounds like GREAT NEWS!!

:snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy:

And good luck *pixie dust* for everyone waiting.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so since it's hit PM today, I'll assume this deal is solid.

CARNIEPUNK, an urban fantasy short story anthology that was born in a twitter conversation (and then lovingly shoved forward over various obstacles and disappointments for over a year), will be published by Pocket in August, 2013. I'm a contributor, along with a bunch of other AWers and, you know, about 5 NYT bestsellers. Eeeeee!

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! From what I've seen, it's going to be a LOT of fun...in a creepy, carnival kind of way. :D

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like the very best kind of fun to me (but check with Damien :))!

moonfairee

Registered
Reaction score
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY HILLARY!!!!!! SO EXCITING!!! The anthology sounds awesome!!!

:snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy:

I looked up the full announcement when you said Pocket and OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG *runs around like a sugared-up Eric Cartman* we have the same editor :)

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks OL and moon!

I just realized that, moon. (Would you mind PMing me to let me know how your experience has been? I haven't yet worked with him. Though, judging from your excitement, I'd say it's good. :D )

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.