tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Ha ha. Iiiii didn't cut 75k. Yet. That's another writer around these parts. And that's just one of her books. :greenie

But I am facing serious cuts to a fantasy book I wrote that clocked in at an embarrassing number I'm not even naming. Suffice to say, I'm dealing with that puppy...later.

Good luck, you guys. It's hard work revising but of high value.

*waves sparkly pom poms in support*

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I've written and published a fair amount of stuff but I've never stalled out before on a book for too long a time. I just slaved through it--toughed it out. Got lucky that way 'cause Ann Rice said that was the way to do it. She is the queen of my damned and can always pull me out of a tailspin via her writing advice YouTubes. But whoa....got a middle grade fantasy stuck at 16,000 because I have horrendous doubts and fear. I can't put my finger on the problem, maybe because there are so many little problems that all add up into a whopper of a problem. I think my dialogue and narrative are waaay too high-brow for this type of book and I can't seem to get into the "kiddie" zone and stay there. I'm not trying to dumb it down. I'm trying to get a friendlier, easier voice that is more typical of eight to 12 year-olds. It just ain't happening.

Time to regroup and dive in, or leave it alone.

I hope everyone else is in that white hot heat and going happily and speedily to the finish line.

Last edited:

MJG_Write

WriteTeachSleep
Registered
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
When is the worst time you've received a rejection? This year I received one just before I went to walk at graduation. Shouldn't have been checking my email but it popped up just as I was getting a congratulatory text from my family.

I also got a rejection on Easter this year too. That was cool.

fitzdiaz

Registered
Reaction score
Worst R? On my birthday. First email check of the day was a form R on a full.

I'm not a big crier over things that affect only me, but I burst into tears over that one.

tri- I hope the stall works itself out. Can you just keep cruising, see what you end up with, and adjust from there? To be honest, it sounds like you're waaaay more seasoned than I am, and know what's going to work best for you. It still sounds frustrating.

RLGreenleaf

Ummm, just one more chapter...
Registered
Reaction score
I have a curious question to ask, and I wonder how any of you might handle this situation, or what helpful opinion you might have.

I believe that others may have found themselves facing this very same issue before, and do not believe that I am alone in this.

Many years ago, I started writing a short-story collection -- about 20 or so stories that followed a particular theme. I finished a good number of them, but the collection itself is incomplete.

I recently decided to finish the remaining stories, but while working on them, found that I am no longer the same person who started writing these stories long ago. I wonder if I have changed so much...that I might now be unable to finish them, or to write them in the same spirit in which they were originally intended.

I am slowly struggling through them, editing and updating them and improving them (except for the ones that were already completed), and am succeeding, but...I find that my "state of mind" is no longer the same that it once was. And it was this "state of mind" that drove me to start writing them in the first place.

I really want to finish them, but am struggling.

My question to you is this: how does one finish writing such stories when you are no longer the same person who started writing them?

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
Fitzdaiz - that's awful.

Greenleaf - I wish I had some advice to give but I don't write short stories.

So I got a form on my full this morning. I've CNRed the other. I really thought the agent that gave me the form might say yes. Ah well. I have a date tonight and I'm debating whether or not to cancel as I'm kind of down.

Moonchild

I write fluff and that's OK.
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. So sorry, Belle. :( Form Rs and CNRs on fulls are THE WORST. I agree with Netz that you should go on your date. Might take your mind off querying hell.

Greenleaf - Power through, maybe? Or let yourself change or adapt the stories to better reflect who you are now? (Full disclosure: I haven't written short fiction in a long time, so this is more my approach to older draft zeroes of novels that have been marinating in my hard drive for a bit too long, so that the original story feels alien to who I am now.)

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
If I return to an old story and it just doesn't work anymore, I don't try and force it. I'll take it in a new direction or I'll mine it for ideas and write an entirely new story with the essence of it. Mostly I can't help though: I don't often return to those old pieces (though I keep intending to) just because I have so many current ideas for shorts.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The problem with not dealing with rejections right away is that eventually you end up with a lot of rejections in your inbox. I have three currently. The latest one "came close", which is nice; I haven't gotten an almost since I got back in the submitting saddle, and I was beginning to fear the hiatus had broken whatever concatenation of random factors had been getting me on short lists before.

Mind you, close-but-no is still a no.

--No, wait, make that four Rs. Ironically, just last night I was looking at this story and thinking, "If it comes back from Market X within their stated response time, I can send it to Market Y before deadline." And here it is. Never let it be said the writing gods don't have a sense of humor. But at least I know where to send this one next.

~ ~ ~

Lots of R cookies to spread around, to Theodore, Taylor, RJDrake, Belle_91, and anybody else who needs 'em.

utesfanami - Cheers on the light-bulb moment, and on the requests! It's so nice when you get even a little bit of feedback that you can *do* something with, isn't it?

RJDrake - Good luck on the trimming.

The hard part is knowing which words go where. :(

Quoting that one because it is so very, very true.

triceretops - Sympathies. Few things make you want to bang your skull against the desk like the book that just won't go, and won't even tell you why not. Do you have access to a savvy kid of the right age range, who could read some of what you've got and tell you what it sounds like to them?

Belle_91 - How was your date? (Assuming you went.)

RLGreenleaf - I've been somewhere similar; there's a sprawling saga of a novel I started in college, that I revisit every once in a while thinking maybe I should actually finish it... and usually end up putting down and going to work on something else, very far away. The angst-ridden characters that were compelling to me then are frequently annoying to me now, and let's not even get into the other issues. And yet, there's a thread there that keeps drawing me back....

This thing will probably never get finished, and maybe that's just as well. But when I have managed to do some new work on it, it's usually in the wee hours of the morning. Apparently angst is more palatable at 3:00 a.m. Is there something you can do to put yourself in a more compatible mood with the "state of mind" of the existing stories? Time of day, listening to certain music, working in a different location, whatever? Something that resonates to the person you were then, but isn't entirely alien to the person you are now?

There was a convention panel about long-running series that said that it's almost like a collaboration: the writer you are now has to work with the writer you were when you started, and those may be two very different people. Would thinking of it like collaborating with an old friend be any help?

Or, you could try to incorporate your new state of mind, and do something on a thematic level with the growth and change from one to the other. Might be tricky to pull off without giving the collection a split personality, but might be nifty if it worked.

RLGreenleaf

Registered
Reaction score
Moonchild and Liz_V:

Thank you for our comments on my question.

Turns out that I did pretty much what you suggested -- but I also incorporated elements from "before" with elements from "now" and got a much better product than either could have provided by itself.

The one story that was really giving me the most problems ("The Weaver") finally resolved itself, and I changed it entirely, with a much better ending.

Unfortunately, I cannot now use the old ending, where the main character shouted out, in the last line of the story: "I feel blind! I feel blind! I wish that God would come to me as Light, instead of this Dreadful Hunger..."

In the new version, the main character finds joy instead. :)

And joy is what we all deserve. :D

Belle_91

Registered
Reaction score
The date went very well. He's a very nice guy, and we are going out again. I'm starting to really like him. It's thrilling and scary all at once.

RLGreenleaf

Registered
Reaction score
Belle_91:

Glad to hear that you decided to go on the date, and glad to hear that it went well.

I usually "judge" a person -- especially one I just met -- by how good a character they might make in a story. :)

NotForUsThanks

Registered
Reaction score
When is the worst time you've received a rejection? This year I received one just before I went to walk at graduation. Shouldn't have been checking my email but it popped up just as I was getting a congratulatory text from my family.

I also got a rejection on Easter this year too. That was cool.

Ouch Utesfanami!

I got an R this year after driving 3 hours in heavy traffic coming home from holiday. All holiday I had been so happy, imagining what it would be like to get The Call when I came back home, because I was really hopeful. I couldn't access emails whilst away because the holiday site, although it claimed it had wifi, didn't. So I got home after an exhausting drive, sat on my bed surrounded by bags to unpack, and went to check messages on my phone....

Coming back off holiday sucks, coming back off holiday to an R really sucks :cry:

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I pitched my novel at #PitDark and not one bite :-(

Belle_91: Tell me about your horse! I used to ride and have been missing it.

Belle_91

Registered
Reaction score
cobalt jade--He's not mine, but I like to pretend he is. His name is Romeo. He's the fattest Tennessee Walking Horse you'll ever see. The person who owns him, my aunt, has him on a diet. He's a huge scared-y cat, too, but I love him.

Sorry to see you're pitch contest didn't work out. I think those things were great initially, but agents have said they can't read all of the pitches/tweet as it's gotten too bogged down. Keep going!

Last edited:

RLGreenleaf

Registered
Reaction score
The secret word for today is: Content Editing

Yes, I know that is actually two words, but...

has anyone run across this term before? And if so, do you have any words of wisdom that you can share?

I received a reply on one of my several full ms submissions out there, and they said that they love the story, but they want me to do some "content editing" and then re-submit.

I have been reading articles online, tyring to get this concept to sink fully into my thick skull.

Trying to figure out how to apply it to my novel.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. :)

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Greenleaf, that's a good question. That's all they said? "Do some content editing?"

rnpudel

Registered
Reaction score

has anyone run across this term before? And if so, do you have any words of wisdom that you can share?

I received a reply on one of my several full ms submissions out there, and they said that they love the story, but they want me to do some "content editing" and then re-submit.

I have been reading articles online, tyring to get this concept to sink fully into my thick skull.

Congrats on the R&R! Content editing is pretty broad. It basically means to edit the flow and pacing of the story. Sometimes it can also include character depth among other things. Is there scenes in your story that don't move the plot forward? If so, the first step is to get rid of them. After that, have a CP read for pacing and character depth. (This is a very short and simple explanation.)

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by

Going by rnpudel's definition, I guess you could always email them back and ask if there are any particular areas/scenes/whatever they'd like you to focus on so you don't waste time making changes to bits they were happy with (assuming you're happy to make changes to your ms). :)

RLGreenleaf

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses.

Netz: that is a good idea -- perhaps I should ask them for a little more detail on what they want.

rnpudel: yes, "content editing" IS a pretty broad term. I found some useful information online, but after I read it all -- well, it's eggzackly like you said: it's pretty broad. :(

Jeneral: They said more than just content editing; they said that they really like the story, and want me to re-submit after I've cleaned it up a bit.

I have the same full ms at a second publisher. I will wait to hear from them before I start any new editing.

It's 150K words, and it's painful to do so, but I think I might be able to shave off some scenes and...well, it's painful. :(

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Well, 150K is a pretty high word count... what's the genre?

RLGreenleaf

Registered
Reaction score
Mixed genre, I suppose. To say that it is a pirate story is to sell it short. It is at once a love story, a story of revenge against a despicable act, and a tale of a woman fighting for justice within the disadvantages of a man's world, and rising above herself in the process. Sprinkled throughout are wisps of philosophical musings.

Sorry...started to sound like a query letter. :(

Last edited:

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
I got a personalized R with some really nice compliments and actual helpful feedback. So whew, I'm doing something right.

Mixed genre, I suppose. To say that it is a pirate story is to sell it short. It is at once a love story, a story of revenge against a despicable act, and a tale of a woman fighting for justice within the disadvantages of a man's world, and rising above herself in the process. Sprinkled throughout are wisps of philosophical musings.

So pirate story, cool! :)

lianna williamson

Registered
Reaction score
Another R for me, and from an agent who had written me a long, personalized R on my last novel, and invited me to query her with any future work. So I had my hopes up with this one. Bummed.

Status
Not open for further replies.