Southerners desperately needed! 1960s and 1820s New Orleans and 19th century plantations in Virginia

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Can't help you with whether the doctor would attend the delivery. That would depend on when the baby is delivered, I expect. I have a hard time believing a doctor would help dispose of the baby...except maybe to take it elsewhere for adoption...which I'm not sure was invented then...not formally anyway.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

latourdumoine

Where nightmares continously breed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helsinkilives.wordpress.com
Oh the doctor wouldn't do it. I just meant would he be there or not. He'd just do his job and then get the hell out of there when he saw what was going on. He couldn't be implicated in this.

I can imagine some doctors would do it, hard as it is to imagine for us. Human nature and all that.

Mark W.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
If I recall, doctors back in the day (at least in the rural areas) did not deliver babies or even really did checkups. All that was handled by Midwives (and not nessecarily slave midwives) from conception up to childbirth was their area of expertise.

Now if the family was in a city and of means, then a doctor might be called in but even then, in that age, the midwife would be the 1st choice I would think. Might want to look into it.

latourdumoine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
If I recall, doctors back in the day (at least in the rural areas) did not deliver babies or even really did checkups. All that was handled by Midwives (and not nessecarily slave midwives) from conception up to childbirth was their area of expertise.

Now if the family was in a city and of means, then a doctor might be called in but even then, in that age, the midwife would be the 1st choice I would think. Might want to look into it.
The case that inspired this whole interest clearly involved a doctor coming to the house, a lot. Which is why I find this more and more interesting. As you said, doctors would rarely do checkups. This was in New Orleans and the family was definitely of means. I'm guessing the doctor was a family friend and either used that friendship to help the wife through this as he sensed how worried she was (and who wouldn't be in her situation, knowing that the baby might look too much like the father, and it's not the man of the house) or the wife had complications earlier (health issues), and her husband wanted the doctor there. It ends there, unfortunately, the information I mean. Then it jumps to the husband taking the baby away and never disclosing what he did.

Can you tell I love a good mystery? :)

latourdumoine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
And then it drives me crazy when I can't solve it. But hey, I managed to find out that the third governor of Louisiana and Thomas Jefferson were pretty tight. Or else he was kissing up to the president (apologies to any descendants reading this, I type this with my tongue firmly in my cheek. Afternoon well spent.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
latourdumoine:

The book I was thinking of is The Plantation Mistress: Woman's World in the Old South by Catherine Clinton. It's an interesting book for getting a fix on women's place in the world in the antebellum South.

Divorce was on option. Clinton cites that in North Carolina, 41 petitions for divorce were submitted in 1813 to the NC State Legislature (which is how divorces were obtained). Eleven men complained of misconduct by the woman, "from bigamy to bearing a black child". However, these petitions were rejected or passed over (maybe yours would be granted).

A divorce case from 1830 is cited. Curtis Winger wanted to divorce Elizabeth Sledge; he claimed she had slept with Mitchell and Bailis, who were presumably slaves. He said her newborn child was fathered by Bailis. He was granted divorce.

Divorce would be messy and public. Not necessarily the most likely scenario.

Clinton notes that the taboo against white women sleeping with black men was so strong that little evidence of it exists in the records. (Could it be that it wasn't as prevalent as she thinks?) I think the whole thing would be hushed up by fair means or foul.

Clinton notes the case of a planter's daughter who fell in love with a slave and mysteriously disappeared. I wouldn't put it past the husband to make something similar happen, though it would harder with a wife than a daughter.

Hope that helps some.

latourdumoine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
latourdumoine:

The book I was thinking of is The Plantation Mistress: Woman's World in the Old South by Catherine Clinton. It's an interesting book for getting a fix on women's place in the world in the antebellum South.

Divorce was on option. Clinton cites that in North Carolina, 41 petitions for divorce were submitted in 1813 to the NC State Legislature (which is how divorces were obtained). Eleven men complained of misconduct by the woman, "from bigamy to bearing a black child". However, these petitions were rejected or passed over (maybe yours would be granted).

A divorce case from 1830 is cited. Curtis Winger wanted to divorce Elizabeth Sledge; he claimed she had slept with Mitchell and Bailis, who were presumably slaves. He said her newborn child was fathered by Bailis. He was granted divorce.

Divorce would be messy and public. Not necessarily the most likely scenario.

Clinton notes that the taboo against white women sleeping with black men was so strong that little evidence of it exists in the records. (Could it be that it wasn't as prevalent as she thinks?) I think the whole thing would be hushed up by fair means or foul.

Clinton notes the case of a planter's daughter who fell in love with a slave and mysteriously disappeared. I wouldn't put it past the husband to make something similar happen, though it would harder with a wife than a daughter.

Hope that helps some.
Oh it does! It does! Thank you so much.

I know in the original story she didn't get to divorce. And what you just posted really makes me think why she didn't. It couldn't have been because she was young. Maybe her parents drummed it into her, but then, her mother divorced her father and that's a fact, too. I mean, the concept of divorce and the woman initiating it wouldn't have been alien to her. Maybe she thought he'd eventually tell her where he buried the baby or what he did to the baby. Then again, there are as many reasons for staying together as there are people, so who's to say.

I'm guessing the attitude was, if we don't talk about it, it never happened. Ergo white women did not sleep with slaves, Creoles or in essence anyone else they shouldn't be sleeping with.

I keep thinking of that one scene in 12 Bar Blues where the woman could pass for Italian. She went to New York, met a guy, they got married. She never told anyone the truth. When they had a baby, it came out black and her husband swore that she'd had an affair. They divorced but I'm pretty sure it was in the early 20th century.

blackrose602

Registered
Reaction score
Website
blackrose602.wordpress.com
Hi! I'm a bit late to the party, but I would like to help if I can. I was raised in Central Florida. My grandmother is from Georgia and her roots stretch to pre-Mayflower Virginia. I moved to New Orleans 10 years ago and have been heavily involved with historical societies in town.

Here are some preliminary answers to your questions:

1. When emailing former plantations functioning as museums, are they generally open to questions concerning the families that used to run them, or is it best not to mention that and focus on the general info they put up on their websites?

Absolutely, positively, ask them detailed questions. Every plantation tour I've been on, the guides are exceptionally knowledgeable about the day to day lives of both the plantation owners and the slaves. By all means, ask about duels too (and hauntings, if you're curious). They're very friendly, very open, very dedicated to preserving the accurate history, and have a pretty much encyclopedic knowledge of how things were done. You won't offend them. Promise.

2. Anything that should never be asked under any circumstances?
See above.

3. If you were the love child of an unfortunate union between someone of color and a white person, what was your fate likely to be (death, sold to a plantation, thrown down the river, sold to the Baratarians . . .)?
Depends...could be any of the above, or raised in secrecy.

These apply to my own experiences in a Southern family and what I know of New Orleans in your time period. I'm not as up on 19th century Virginia--the Revolutionary War is my time period there.

1. What was a typical Southern breakfast when you were growing up?
Huge. We never had specific "must-have" foods, my family loves variety. But there would be two or three egg dishes, pancakes or waffles, grits or Cream of Wheat, at least two of bacon, sausage, ham. Crawfish in New Orleans in any of a dozen preparations. Coffee and orange juice. Bloody Marys and mimosas are exceptionally common breakfast drinks, though my family was teetotalers.

2. What were the codes of chivalry you were brought up with, in other words, what did your parents teach you were good manners? To illustrate, my dad's best friend was from Alabama. I remember walking down the street with him once, and he deliberately switched sides, so he'd be closer to the street. We were in Germany at the time, and I'd never seen anyone else do that. I know that every culture has different guidelines, so it's interesting to follow up on it.

In Southern culture, the man always walks on the street side, so your dad's friend was correct. Southern women are known for being soft-spoken and refined, leading to the description "smile sweetly to your face while twisting the knife in your back" (stereotype of course, but largely true). Southern men tend to be courtly (open doors, pull out chairs and give up bus seats for women). Southerners in general, men and women, insist on picking up the check. More than once, I've sat in a restaurant with my grandmother and her sister (both women of more than comfortable income), watching them snatch the check out of each other's hands. Ma'am and Sir are still used a lot in New Orleans and other parts of the South, but are kind of dying out now because it tends to make the recipient feel old. We really do sit out on the porch all afternoon during the summer sipping mint juleps or cold beers, because it's too damn hot to do anything else ("lazy summer afternoon in the South" is a very accurate descriptor).

3. What did you call soft drinks? I remember someone saying that in GA, where she lived, everything was a coke or cola (if I remember correctly).

It's a Coke. Order a Coke in most Southern restaurants and the wait staff will ask what kind. Older members of my family (born circa 1920s) sometimes order a "Co-cola."

The rest of these refer solely to New Orleans in the 1820s.

4. Do you have any suggestions for literature concerning those who could pass for white in the 1820s. From what I gathered so far, many would pass themselves off as Spanish, even going so far as to darken their skin.

Not sure. But there was a whole highly stratified society of mixed-race people in New Orleans. Quadroons and octaroons, one-fourth black and one-eighth black respectively, were highly revered for their stunning beauty. The placage system allowed white men to take black women as common-law wives (while simultaneously having a legal marriage to a white woman). Typically the woman would be provided with an impeccably decorated apartment and all the funds she could ever need. The man did not live with her, but visited frequently. The children were raised with all the privileges enjoyed by their white fathers (lavish lifestyles, foreign education), with the exception being that they could not inherit position.

5. How would a male like that be able to interact with high society in the 1820s? I mean, what position would he have to have? Or could he have? Masked balls are another idea. If he was "Spanish" that wouldn't be a problem, but wouldn't that also imply that he was from out of state since otherwise people could trace his parents.

Mixed-race men were not revered in the same way as women, and privilege was not simply handed to them. But they were governed by the Code Noir, also known as the Black Codes. Free blacks (which included mixed-race) were permitted to live equally to whites, with just a few exceptions. They could not hold public office, marry whites, or vote. They were allowed to own businesses, own slaves, attend the opera and the theatre, live wherever they wished, etc. Slaves were also granted certain privileges by the Code, including the right to sell their own wares for profit, Sundays off, the right to gather freely, and the right to practice their own religion as they saw fit.

6. If this person had an affair with a white woman and she got pregnant, what would the consequences be for all involved? I'm guessing the pregnancy would first get hushed up if she was single (and extremely lucky so her folks would send her somewhere), and if she was married, the earliest you'd find out is when the baby was born. I'm also guessing the guy wouldn't just be challenged to a duel but killed, lynched or thrown in jail, or asked in no uncertain terms to leave the state. As for the baby, I don't think anyone would be callous enough to kill a newborn (though I'm sure that happened as well), so would they have sold or given the baby to an orphanage? And then tell everyone the baby was stillborn or something? And how many cases like that could there be (and in the case of visible people i.e. plantation owners, bank managers, people who couldn't afford to have that sort of scandal because they would lose face)? I'm guessing those would be impossible to trace.

Again speaking solely of New Orleans, it completely depends. Mixed marriages were forbidden by law. So was sex with someone of another race, but it happened all the time. Women had the right to property ownership and to manage their own affairs. If the woman was wealthy and not already married, or willing to divorce her husband, she could choose to enter into a sort of reverse placage--taking the man as a common-law husband but never actually living with him. Some families chose to send the baby out of town to be raised as a foundling by relatives.

As for punishing the guy, not so much as you would think. I'm sure somebody in New Orleans probably went to jail for something similar, so if you want him to he can. But New Orleans was a frontier town, similar to the Old West of a few decades later. The city was built in the middle of a swamp by French prisoners and their prostitute wives. Pirate Jean Lafitte was, by the time of your setting, a war hero. Lynching didn't exist, but street justice did. If your guy messed with the wrong woman, he could easily find himself at the wrong end of a sword or pistol--possibly stabbed in the back. But it all depended on who her family was, how they felt about the whole thing, what his position was, who his friends were. It could go in any conceivable direction.

7. If France is associated with wine and Germany with beer (in terms of clichés), what is Louisiana most associated with and when you raise your glasses, what kind of toast do you make? I remember this one scene in Mississippi Burning where the old guy said, "may your soul rise to Heaven before the devil knows that you're dead" and even though I know it's originally Irish, it just fit.

Louisiana is seafood and hard liquor. Absinthe, imported from France, was growing in popularity at the time. But as a major shipping hub, New Orleans could get pretty much anything it wanted.

8. What are the things you miss most about the South (foods etc.) when you're in another area.

The live oak trees dripping in Spanish moss. The sticky humidity that feels like a deep freeze in winter and a sauna in summer. The smell of rain. The carnival of the senses in the French Quarter, from tarot readers to balloon artists to tap dancing kids with bottle caps glued to their shoes. Seafood. Home cooking. Tiny hole-in-the-wall dives serving world-class food. The alcoholic haze hanging over the city at all hours. The morning-after atmosphere of Bourbon Street at dawn.

Other things to consider: Research Marie Laveau and Delphine LaLaurie. Marie Laveau was the Voodoo Queen of New Orleans. During your time period, she was just coming into prominence. A free-born mixed-race woman, Laveau did more than anyone else to create the peculiar mix of Voodoo and Catholicism still practiced in New Orleans today. She was a hairdresser to wealthy white women and made a fantastic living selling them voodoo spells and potions. Yet she was also a devout Catholic, faithfully attending services at St. Louis Cathedral. She actually helped out the Church, putting butts in seats by insisting that her clients attend services. Fascinating woman, and more fascinating when you consider that there were actually two, a mother and daughter. They pretended to be the same woman to lengthen their career and increase the mystique.

Delphine Lalaurie becomes particularly important if your time period stretches into the 1830s, but everyone already knew of her by the 1820s. She was a prominent society woman. Her first husband, a banker and lawyer, died in 1816. She married the second, a much younger doctor, in 1825. Already living in a luxurious home in the French Quarter, she purchased an even more luxurious place at 1140 Royal Street in 1831 (with her own money, and she managed the home with almost no involvement from her husband). They were among the social elite, constantly hosting elaborate parties and balls.

The rumors about Lalaurie were rampant, suggesting that she horribly mistreated her slaves. In the early 1830s, she was investigated following an incident in which a slave girl jumped to her death from the balcony to escape from Madame Lalaurie, who was said to be brandishing a whip. The couple was required to forfeit nine slaves, but family members bought them and sent them back to the Lalaurie home. In 1834, a fire at the house led to a shocking discovery--the Lalauries were performing all manner of gruesome experiments on slaves chained in the attic. A mob formed, but the Lalauries were able to escape and were never seen again.

On a less sinister note, look into the history of Mardi Gras. The festival was celebrated in New Orleans as early as the 1700s, but masked balls were banned in 1803 (though the ban was sporadically enforced). By the mid-1820s, masking was legal again, and slaves were usually allowed to participate (though this went in and out of favor and the Black Codes were frequently updated to reflect changes in thinking). The modern parades didn't start until the mid-1830s, though, and blacks were not allowed to participate (though they did march as flambeaux, torch-bearers for the nighttime parades, a practice still popular today). It wasn't until the early 1900s that African-Americans organized their own krewe, the now highly-respected Zulu Social Aid & Pleasure Club.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
:) ^^^

I don't know if you are looking for fiction that may help you brainstorm your research, but two works I like a lot are: The Feast of All Saints by Anne Rice, about les gens de couleurs in New Orleans; and Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, about much more modern Savannah, which is closer to my Southern culture.

latourdumoine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Wanted to reply sooner but was down with the flu.

Blackrose and Backslashbaby, thank you so much! I always wanted to read Midnight . . . so here's the opportunity. Will you hate me if I admit to never having heard of The Feast of All Saints? ;) I'll look into that as well.

Blackrose, you're not too late. I'm developing it as we speak (there's a draft written but I change so much when I start editing, it practically becomes a new story. Hate blank pages, so this is my way of getting something done).

By all means, ask about duels too (and hauntings, if you're curious). They're very friendly, very open, very dedicated to preserving the accurate history, and have a pretty much encyclopedic knowledge of how things were done. You won't offend them. Promise.
I'll hold you to that! ;) Seriously, I am interested in hauntings, but I'm totally chicken when it comes to that. Knowing myself, I'll still ask though, since curiosity will get the better of me. Considering I'm in Finland, I'm safe (until I actually manage to go there). I don't know why I never associated duels with plantations. I do know they took place, but to me it was always in a "remote place somewhere". Never actually taking into consideration that the remote place had to belong to someone, if nothing else, so no innocent person would get hurt.

If you were the love child of an unfortunate union between someone of color and a white person, what was your fate likely to be (death, sold to a plantation, thrown down the river, sold to the Baratarians . . .)?
Depends...could be any of the above, or raised in secrecy.
And of course the wife would never know because the husband would "want to protect her", never mind that he was protecting himself as well. So chances were her family might not even know that the baby wasn't his. I'm trying to make the husband as psychopathic as possible. Although, the idea was inspired by some rumored-to-be historical cases (as told to me by friends some time ago), I'm not trying to base it on anyone specific. I'm sure in some cases, the wife would know, but like I said, the character has to be mind-control scary. The kind of person who'd come to haunt you on your wedding anniversary 200 years later, and you wouldn't know if it was creepy or romantic.

Those breakfasts sounds amazing. I never really have breakfast, but if I had something like that, I'd be eating in the mornings.

In Southern culture, the man always walks on the street side, so your dad's friend was correct. Southern women are known for being soft-spoken and refined, leading to the description "smile sweetly to your face while twisting the knife in your back" (stereotype of course, but largely true). Southern men tend to be courtly (open doors, pull out chairs and give up bus seats for women). Southerners in general, men and women, insist on picking up the check. More than once, I've sat in a restaurant with my grandmother and her sister (both women of more than comfortable income), watching them snatch the check out of each other's hands. Ma'am and Sir are still used a lot in New Orleans and other parts of the South, but are kind of dying out now because it tends to make the recipient feel old. We really do sit out on the porch all afternoon during the summer sipping mint juleps or cold beers, because it's too damn hot to do anything else ("lazy summer afternoon in the South" is a very accurate descriptor).
Yeah, he really had that Southern chivalry about him. Funny thing is, he moved to NY when he was eighteen, and when I met him he must have been in his late thirties, and he'd been living abroad for pretty much most of his life. But the more I think about it, the more I can see what you wrote about in him. I was a kid, so to me it was just natural. My dad would have made the perfect Southern gentleman now that I think of it, because he was really big on all those things as well. So, I guess, in a lot of ways, I was used to it.

I love that image of sitting on the porch sipping a beverage. I absolutely agree about the heat being paralyzing.

One question about the check. If you're a guest, say someone visiting there, and you're invited out to eat, or someone suggests you go to a restaurant, should you also fight over the check or would that be seen as rude then (as opposed to it being two people who know each other very well, like you described). I'm asking because in some cultures one thing is rude and it's perfectly acceptable in other places, you know the way in some parts your help is most certainly welcome in the kitchen and in other parts just suggesting you'd be willing to help out would be considered downright rude (I got chewed out once when I offered to help a lady with the dishes as a teen because in her culture "that was very rude.")

But there was a whole highly stratified society of mixed-race people in New Orleans. Quadroons and octaroons, one-fourth black and one-eighth black respectively, were highly revered for their stunning beauty. The placage system allowed white men to take black women as common-law wives (while simultaneously having a legal marriage to a white woman). Typically the woman would be provided with an impeccably decorated apartment and all the funds she could ever need. The man did not live with her, but visited frequently. The children were raised with all the privileges enjoyed by their white fathers (lavish lifestyles, foreign education), with the exception being that they could not inherit position.
I remember reading about that. So technically a child of such a union could gain access to the higher echelons of society like the governor's ball? I kind of want to make him a wine master (the octaroon, I'm looking at four key characters in this, the wealthy middle-aged guy of high standing, the young wife (I know it's a cliche, but the age difference between them is necessary because he has to come across as a pompous *** in that environment, yet at the same time creepy. They mirror a set of characters from the main plot, and this set has a very insignificant age difference, plus, I show another couple where the age difference is equally big and that union works), the kindly doctor (another cliche but also important) and the octaroon. So based on what you said in 5., he could make it to a position where he could meet the judge's / doctor's / opera owner's wife.

6. If this person had an affair with a white woman and she got pregnant, what would the consequences be for all involved? I'm guessing the pregnancy would first get hushed up if she was single (and extremely lucky so her folks would send her somewhere), and if she was married, the earliest you'd find out is when the baby was born. I'm also guessing the guy wouldn't just be challenged to a duel but killed, lynched or thrown in jail, or asked in no uncertain terms to leave the state. As for the baby, I don't think anyone would be callous enough to kill a newborn (though I'm sure that happened as well), so would they have sold or given the baby to an orphanage? And then tell everyone the baby was stillborn or something? And how many cases like that could there be (and in the case of visible people i.e. plantation owners, bank managers, people who couldn't afford to have that sort of scandal because they would lose face)? I'm guessing those would be impossible to trace.

Again speaking solely of New Orleans, it completely depends. Mixed marriages were forbidden by law. So was sex with someone of another race, but it happened all the time. Women had the right to property ownership and to manage their own affairs. If the woman was wealthy and not already married, or willing to divorce her husband, she could choose to enter into a sort of reverse placage--taking the man as a common-law husband but never actually living with him. Some families chose to send the baby out of town to be raised as a foundling by relatives.
That's it! The reverse placage. But she can't do it because she's too young and it just wouldn't do. She's 20 when it happens. But if he wouldn't let her divorce him? Or family pressure?

As for punishing the guy, not so much as you would think. I'm sure somebody in New Orleans probably went to jail for something similar, so if you want him to he can. But New Orleans was a frontier town, similar to the Old West of a few decades later. The city was built in the middle of a swamp by French prisoners and their prostitute wives. Pirate Jean Lafitte was, by the time of your setting, a war hero. Lynching didn't exist, but street justice did. If your guy messed with the wrong woman, he could easily find himself at the wrong end of a sword or pistol--possibly stabbed in the back. But it all depended on who her family was, how they felt about the whole thing, what his position was, who his friends were. It could go in any conceivable direction.
I love Lafitte!! All the legends and the mystery around him, his true heritage, the affair, etc. When you say it could go in any conceivable direction, do you mean as far as race riots breaking out? I guess that would bring it into alternative history territory. So let's say Scenario 1:she's the governor's wife or the judge's wife or the attorney general's wife. Her father was in politics. Her husband wants to hide the indiscretion, because he wants no evidence (plus he's impotent so he would have known all along it wasn't his. But he keeps her in doubt for nine months because that's just the kind of person he is). Her mother is European but divorced her father a few years after they came to America. Not sure how much this would stigmatize her in the husband's eyes (I'm going with very much as he's a very "moral person"). The octaroon she had the affair with has other women as well (quadroons, octaroons). The husband doesn't mention the indiscretion to her family, says the baby was stillborn and sends her away to their plantation to "recover". Meantime he has the octaroon thrown in jail on some pretext (knowing the law, he can come up with pretty much anything). The octaroon's friends hear of it, there's tension in the air to begin with and next thing you know, riots. Reading it back now, it sounds really farfetched, though they could start something around the already existing riots in 1824.

Scenario 2: The wife is from an average middle-class family. The husband and her father see this as rape (still middle-class family, not that much influence, maybe they're even working class). Husband and father want some kind of vengeance. The baby is sent away with her (or his) relatives, like you suggested. The husband or father contacts someone in Lafitte's circle (see how badly I want to have Lafitte in there? :) ). They then knife the guy in the back on a quiet corner. I somehow can't see the husband in Scenario 1 doing something similar, creep that he is. But throwing him in jail, in a building where the wife knows he's there but still can't be reached, that would be his thing. I'll have to brainstorm for something else. I don't really want the octaroon to just leave. That to me would be too cliched (though I'm sure that's what happened plenty of times, and he may or may not have known she was pregnant with his child).

Louisiana is seafood and hard liquor. Absinthe, imported from France, was growing in popularity at the time. But as a major shipping hub, New Orleans could get pretty much anything it wanted.
I love that image of the prisoners and their prostitute wives building the city and then the seafood and hard liquor.

I remember reading up on Marie Laveau and Delphine LaLaurie, thanks for reminding me again. That's awful about the family members buying the slaves and sending them back. Were they aware of any of it? I know slaves were considered property, but still. And what made her that way?

In that vein, is there anywhere I could get an old map online because I've been googling myself crazy trying to find out where the governor would have lived in 1821, where the attorney general would have lived in the time period from 1820-21, where a federal judge would have lived. All I get is links to later when I look for the governor's mansion. I'm sure there's something that eludes me that's pretty straightforward. Someone pointed me to the artist David Harouni, and his gallery (933 Royal St) looks like a pretty cool house, so could that be somewhere the octaroon might have lived at? And who would have been invited to the governor's ball then? Also, if masked balls were reemerging, wouldn't the first such ball be a huge event? Where would they hold it? Sorry for firing off all these questions, I tend to get carried away. Just feel free to ignore the ones you want to ignore.

And once again, thank you, and thanks to everyone for answering.

Mark W.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
One question about the check. If you're a guest, say someone visiting there, and you're invited out to eat, or someone suggests you go to a restaurant, should you also fight over the check or would that be seen as rude

If you invite someone to dinner, you are under obligation to pay for it (otherwise you shouldn't have invited them). For the guest (as opposed to the host) tries to pay, it could be seen as rude since the implication is there that you cannot take care of their guest.

If you intend otherwise, you make it plain from the beginning that the meal will be "Dutch Treat", meaning that everyone pays for their own way.

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
In my WIP I'm getting close to a part that will be set in New Orleans (1819 in fact), just after I finish my Mississippi flatboating chapters (my goal for this weekend). I suppose its hardly coincidence, given the fame of the original, but I was sort of planning on having a Marie Laveau stand-in, though I may need to adapt my plan a bit.

My main source for the New Orleans stuff will be Herbert Asbury, I'm going more for the mythic feel than social realism.

Re: gentleman walks on the street-side. I learned this from my mother who grew up on a farm in upstate New York. Her parents were Colorado/Iowa farm/ranch folk, so not Southern at all. I was given to understand the rule arose so that a gentleman would be able to stop a runaway horse or ward off ruffianly gutter-snipes who might insult a lady. It's not so zealously observed these days.

EXCEPT, when walking my child through a parking lot. I quickly got religion about being on the outside while walking a two-year old through moving vehicles. That left only the inside angle to worry about. :eek:

latourdumoine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sounds like a great way to spend the weekend. I'm sure there were other Marie Laveau types, maybe not as prominent as she was, but they might have wanted to keep it low profile.

My dad's side of the family was Hungarian-Jewish from Transylvania (so some farming land around there), and the standards of politeness he had, I can really appreciate them now. But I'm pretty sure he said something about horses as well. Plus the whole Austro-Hungarian Empire thing. It's interesting to see how these things take hold in certain areas / regions though. I've lived in some places where if a teenage boy or a young man wanted to help a lady off the bus, he'd have hell coming for it (once I saw one such lady slap the guy's hand away). In other places, if you didn't move fast enough as a kid to vacate a seat for an elderly person, the whole bus would snap at you.

I also love the image of the Baratarians showing up at the balls, polite as you please, with manners that would make any mother proud.

I think I mentioned this somewhere else. Saw Joan Collins do a talk show when I was in England. They asked her if she thought manners were on the decline. Her response was that it wasn't so much manners as consideration for others in general. I think that was spot on.

The safety of (your) kids trumps any rules of etiquette.

Dave Hardy

Registered
Reaction score
I think there was actually a couple of "Marie Laveaus." One was the grandmother in the early 1800s and the other flourished later around Reconstruction. Might have to look that up.

The best explanation of why a gentleman walks on the outside came from some kid, a source I don't recall. It was along the lines of "The man walks on the side toward the street so if a car goes out of control and crashes into the people, he gets killed first." :D

blackrose602

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Wanted to reply sooner but was down with the flu.
Hope you're feeling better now!

I'll hold you to that! Seriously, I am interested in hauntings, but I'm totally chicken when it comes to that. Knowing myself, I'll still ask though, since curiosity will get the better of me.
They say that the veil between this world and the next is a bit thinner in New Orleans. Whether that's true or not, who knows? But the entire place is haunted. I was pushed down a flight of stairs in the old slave quarter at my parents' place--and that's not even considered a particularly impressive ghost story among locals.

I don't know why I never associated duels with plantations. I do know they took place, but to me it was always in a "remote place somewhere". Never actually taking into consideration that the remote place had to belong to someone, if nothing else, so no innocent person would get hurt.
In New Orleans, most of the duels (though certainly not all) took place under the Dueling Oaks, a pair of enormous live oak trees on the Allard Plantation along Bayou St. John. A sizable portion of the plantation land, including the Dueling Oaks, became City Park in 1850, but the duels were held there from the late 1700s until dueling was outlawed in 1890. One of the oaks still stands today (I actually got married underneath it). Keep in mind that duels were not necessarily fought to the death, sometimes just to first blood, and the combatants were often good friends. Dueling was the accepted means of settling virtually any dispute. Some people fought them just to show off their skill with a weapon.

And of course the wife would never know because the husband would "want to protect her", never mind that he was protecting himself as well. So chances were her family might not even know that the baby wasn't his. I'm trying to make the husband as psychopathic as possible.
Perfectly plausible.

I love that image of sitting on the porch sipping a beverage. I absolutely agree about the heat being paralyzing.
It's such an iconic image, I'd definitely try to slip it in somewhere.

One question about the check. If you're a guest, say someone visiting there, and you're invited out to eat, or someone suggests you go to a restaurant, should you also fight over the check or would that be seen as rude then
Depends on the context. If you don't know each other very well, then the host pays and the guest graciously accepts. If you're moderately close friends/relatives, then the guest offers to pay/split, the host declines, and both sides mildly protest once or twice before the guest ultimately accepts the host's hospitality. It's the super-close relationships (parent/adult child, siblings, best friends) where the real back-and-forth comes in.

I'm asking because in some cultures one thing is rude and it's perfectly acceptable in other places, you know the way in some parts your help is most certainly welcome in the kitchen and in other parts just suggesting you'd be willing to help out would be considered downright rude.
That reminds me. In your time period, society families would, of course, have had "help." But in later periods, or among poor families at that time, the unstated Southern rule is "women in the kitchen." At every gathering in my family, all the women and girls over age 6 or so hang around the kitchen from the time they arrive until the meal is served, and then again after the meal to clean up. Mostly Grandma does everything (thinks no one can do anything as well as she can), but everyone's there to hand her things or do minor tasks. Mostly we just sit at the table and gab. The guys take over the living room in front of a football game, unless they're outside messing with the grill. Among my parents' generation and younger, it's much less sexist, and a lot of the guys are very good cooks. But whenever Grandma's generation is around, tradition prevails.

I remember reading about that. So technically a child of such a union could gain access to the higher echelons of society like the governor's ball?
Yes. Of course, he'd have to demonstrate that he was the "right sort" (refined, well-dressed, charming, good dancer, excellent conversationalist. It was hard to deny society access to wealthy men's legitimate sons, even if they were boors, but the illegitimate kids, both white and mixed, were fair game for ostracizing if they didn't play by the rules.

I kind of want to make him a wine master...So based on what you said in 5., he could make it to a position where he could meet the judge's / doctor's / opera owner's wife.
Absolutely. A wine master octaroon, assuming he meets the above requirements of charm and refinement, would be a popular guest.

That's it! The reverse placage. But she can't do it because she's too young and it just wouldn't do. She's 20 when it happens. But if he wouldn't let her divorce him? Or family pressure?
He wouldn't be able to prevent the divorce. Women had an absolute right to demand a divorce (no such thing as no-fault or irreconcilable differences then, but it was easy enough to find a reason, from adultery--oh, how ironic!--to "outrageous conduct"). Family pressure-quite a strong possibility, depending on how much influence they have over her.

I love Lafitte!! All the legends and the mystery around him, his true heritage, the affair, etc.
Just don't forget that Jean Lafitte died in 1823, his older brother Pierre in 1821. So you could certainly connect your story to their gang or their descendants, but if you want to tie in to them directly, it needs to be very early on.

When you say it could go in any conceivable direction, do you mean as far as race riots breaking out? I guess that would bring it into alternative history territory.
Very alternative history. There are no records of race riots in New Orleans until 1866, when the Reconstruction-era Black Codes were adopted. Nothing wrong with alternative history, of course, it's just a different choice.

My opinion only: Scenario 1 is not possible unless you choose alternative history. The country was much bigger in those days, and the odds of prominent New Orleans being involved in the Hardscrabble riot of 1824 in Rhode Island? Very stretched--though not impossible in an alternative scenario.

However, you could possibly do something similar if you leave out the "race riots" aspects. The jail at the time was still the Spanish Colonial Prison of 1769, which was not demolished and replaced until 1837. It's where Jean and Pierre Lafitte were held for piracy--a really nasty place, by all accounts. So having the octaroon thrown in there would be particularly vicious.

Then have the octaroon's friends (some of whom are likely also the husband's friends) swear vengeance. Same sort of scenario as you postulated, but on a smaller scale. And I'd keep race more or less out of it, since most of the friends on both sides would most likely be white anyway.

Scenario 2 I really like. I think that would work well. Understated but historically accurate. The swamp was a popular dumping ground for bodies then...

I remember reading up on Marie Laveau and Delphine LaLaurie, thanks for reminding me again. That's awful about the family members buying the slaves and sending them back. Were they aware of any of it? I know slaves were considered property, but still. And what made her that way?
I'm going to venture a guess that the LaLaurie relatives probably had no idea. Nobody in town did. The LaLauries were very popular, very charming, in every way the ideal neighbors/relatives/friends. Their underground life was, well, deeply underground. I'd be surprised if anyone at all knew what was going on. As far as I'm aware, nobody knows what made her that way. She vanished without a trace right after the fire/discovery, so no psychological/medical records exist.

A piece of folklore, though probably just a legend, postulates that she may have escaped to Jamaica, where she became the White Witch of Rose Hall. But other versions of the White Witch legend have the witch murdered around 1832, two years before LaLaurie left New Orleans. So who knows really?

In that vein, is there anywhere I could get an old map online because I've been googling myself crazy trying to find out where the governor would have lived in 1821, where the attorney general would have lived in the time period from 1820-21, where a federal judge would have lived. All I get is links to later when I look for the governor's mansion. I'm sure there's something that eludes me that's pretty straightforward.
The Cabildo, built 1795-1799 next door to St. Louis Cathedral in what is now Jackson Square, was the seat of government. It's the heart of the French Quarter which was, of course, the only part of the city that existed at that time (except for a few plantations upriver in what became the American Sector, now Uptown).

The French Colonial Governor's Mansion stood on the other side of the Cathedral from the Cabildo, but that house was torn down to make room for the Presbytere in 1791. So your governor can't have lived there, but both he and the judge would have lived nearby--if you can't get an actual address, don't worry about it, anywhere in the Quarter will do.

Here is a modern map to get you started. I don't know how much you've researched this, so my apologies if I'm covering ground you already know.

Then, as now, the Quarter stretched from the Mississippi River to Rampart Street, a distance of only seven blocks. In the early French Colonial days, a literal rampart, or fortified wall, stood on Rampart Street, but to the best of my knowledge, it was already down by your time period. Across Rampart from the Quarter is Congo Square--a hugely important location, as it was the Place de Negres, or gathering place for New Orleans' blacks.

The Code Noir gave slaves Sundays off and granted them freedom of religion, and Congo Square was where they gathered--to sell items amongst themselves and to whites, to socialize and dance, and most importantly, to practice voodoo. Now, many people say that the Congo Square rituals were performed for the white onlookers (of which there were hundreds, Sunday afternoons at Congo Square were just as important to whites as to blacks), while the real rituals took place in Bayou St. John (near the Allard Plantation with the Dueling Oaks, in what is now Mid-City). Congo Square and its huge importance to both blacks and whites played an instrumental role in marrying voodoo and Catholicism, a blend that is still very much alive and well in New Orleans today among people of all backgrounds and cultures.

During your time period, the Treme was just being built--a middle-class neighborhood for free people of color that abuts Congo Square and the French Quarter. But it wasn't until the latter part of the 19th century that it really developed. Most people in your time period, black and white, lived in the Quarter. If you've ever seen the HBO show "Treme," it's set in that neighborhood.

If you zoom in a little on the map, you'll see an area just down Basin Street from Congo Square, bounded by St. Louis and Conti. That's St. Louis Cemetery #1, opened in 1789. St. Louis Cemetery #2 opened three blocks away in 1823, though burials were still held in #1 as well. If anybody has a funeral in your story, read up on death and burial customs in New Orleans--they're a bit unique. For example, mass graves are common--if you could afford a big family plot, then you shared with relatives. Otherwise you shared with strangers (in a very practical, though morbid, contraption known as a wall oven).

In New Orleans, the heat and humidity are so intense that it speeds up the decomposition process--the above-ground burial vaults act as slow-burning crematoriums. So they bury someone, then in a year and a day they can open the vault. They sweep the bits of ash to the back, where they fall into a receptacle at the base, and put the next person in.

Below-ground burial has been available for a long time now, but many old families still prefer the traditional way. But back then, they had to bury above ground--the water table is so high that when they tried below-ground, old Uncle Arthur would pop up and go floating down the street during a hard summer rain! I could go on and on, but really, if you need any burials, do look into the customs.

Anyway, back to the Quarter. In the other direction, the boundaries are Canal Street and Esplanade Avenue (14 blocks total). So the entire area is very easily walkable, and anyone could live anywhere within the boundaries regardless of where he worked/shopped/played.

Canal Street is one of the widest streets in the country, because it was intended for a canal to go there. The canal was never constructed, but the wide street served as a barrier between the old French Creole families in the French Quarter and the "upstart Americans" who were beginning to move into newly subdivided plantations upriver (in Uptown).

Esplanade Avenue was the critical link between Bayou St. John and the Mississippi River. Somewhat later in the 1800s, the wealthiest French Creoles began building mansions along the street, but in your time period very few if any homes existed there.

The Mississippi River was a crucial trade link (still is), and the waterfront area was packed with warehouses and docks (and dive bars and brothels). No "respectable" citizen went down there if he could help it. But just off the river, at the intersection of Decatur and North Peters, is the French Market. Built in 1791, it was the marketing hub of the city--meat, milk, produce, textiles, imported clothing, tools, exotic herbs and spices, coffee, pralines--whatever you needed was readily available at the French Market.

The heart of your location is the Place d'Armes, which became Jackson Square in 1815 following the Battle of New Orleans. Your characters would know it by both names. Which they used would depend on what they thought of General Jackson (basically a hero in New Orleans, but politically polarizing).

Jackson Square is bounded by Decatur, Chartres, St. Ann and St. Peter. St. Louis Cathedral, with the Cabildo to its left as you face the Cathedral, and the Presbytere to the right, sits along Chartres facing the Square. The Presbytere was just used for commercial space in that era, so nothing too terribly relevant to your story.

The Cathedral was built in 1727 and rebuilt several times after fires. By your era it looked much as it does today, just smaller. The priest at that time was the much-beloved Pere Antoine, who passed away in 1829 and is rumored to haunt the place today. Everyone who was anyone attended Mass, regardless of personal beliefs, as it was very much a see-and-be-seen event. Marie Laveau was highly instrumental in helping get "butts in seats" when attendance seemed to be on the decline shortly before your time period. All were permitted to attend services, from the richest man to the poorest slave.

The Place d'Armes (Jackson Square) was the site for public executions, primarily of runaway and disobedient slaves, starting in the late 18th century and winding down in your time frame. The practice was gone by 1856, when they replaced the old gallows with a lovely equestrian statue of Andrew Jackson. It has always been known as a sort of free speech zone, a gathering place for everyone regardless of wealth or skin color. Today it's where the tarot readers, musicians, visual artists and street performers ply their trades.

Those are probably the most vital locations in your story to get "right." Beyond that, if you use someone notable try to see if the historic address is available. But in general, you can figure that there were residences and businesses all over, and the records aren't really that complete. So you can place things where they make sense for the story.

Someone pointed me to the artist David Harouni, and his gallery (933 Royal St) looks like a pretty cool house, so could that be somewhere the octaroon might have lived at?
That's a cool building, and would work fine. So would hundreds of others. One of my favorite facts about the city today is that most of those old French Quarter homes have been divided into apartments. They all have a shared courtyard, often featuring all sorts of native and exotic flowers--no backyards in the Quarter, but the courtyards serve the purpose wonderfully. And they all have a lockable front door. But you never know exactly what you're going to see when you enter that door.

A couple of examples: My former apartment at 1030 St. Peter was part of an 1860s three-story single family home. The main structure was left intact, and the apartments were sort of "wings" of the original home. So when you went through the front door, you were standing in the grand entrance foyer, with the sweeping grand staircase in front of you. To the left was one apartment, to the right another. I lived on the second floor, the only apartment on that floor. So you went up the grand staircase and around the bend to the left, and we had two entry doors--one to the main part of the apartment and one to my roommate's bedroom. Up the stairs again was the attic apartment, which was unlocked since it wasn't rented. A really neat loft-style space, which I loved exploring.

My parents' former apartment at 730 St. Philip: Originally a single-family home with a slave quarter out back. The main house had been cut up more severely, so it was harder to tell how it originally looked. Two apartments, including my parents', on the ground floor opposite each other. Upstairs, two more apartments opposite each other. Third floor, one apartment. But the back wall had been removed behind the stairs--where there was previously a back door, it was an open archway. So if you went straight through from the front door, past the staircase, you'd end up in the courtyard, encased in high (10-12 feet) brick walls. Opposite the main house was the slave quarter. It had been destroyed by a fire and never rebuilt, so it was just a shell--the stairs were still intact and there was plywood over the remaining joists upstairs, so we could poke around (that's where I got pushed down the stairs by a spirit). Downstairs was used as communal storage for everyone in the apartments.

So you really do have a ton of leeway in where you place the housing and what you want it to look like. I encourage you to look at a lot of contemporary photos online and imagine how things looked back then.

And who would have been invited to the governor's ball then? Also, if masked balls were reemerging, wouldn't the first such ball be a huge event? Where would they hold it?
Okay, let's break this down a little. New Orleans nightlife was world-renowned, second only to Paris at that time. It was still very much a French city, so virtually everything that happened in Paris (operas, plays, fashions, rituals) happened in New Orleans practically the next week, plus New Orleans had traditions of its own. So even during the era that masking was prohibited, grand and glorious balls, often following a night at the opera, were held frequently.

The governor's ball, like all balls of the time, would be held at home in the sweeping ballroom. It might be the grandest in the city, or it might not be. New Orleans parties, it's just what she does, so everyone in society would compete to throw the most elegant ball. Most wealthy homes had an upstairs consisting of two or three rooms connected by panel doors. So they could be used for various practical functions such as a sitting room or dining room, but the staff could easily open the doors and convert the rooms into a single large ballroom.

Now let's talk about the Carnival season, which begins on Twelfth Night (January 6) and continues through Mardi Gras Day (literally Fat Tuesday). The date of Mardi Gras varies each year according to the date of Easter, but it is always the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday. Incidentally, the party stops at precisely midnight that night. Even today, mounted police ceremonially sweep the streets at midnight, clearing people out (though today the bars stay open and people keep partying, back then it was a legal mandate to go home and get ready for Lent).

Today Carnival is known for a seemingly endless series of parades, but it also the ball season. All the krewes hold formal balls, and many society families (virtually all of whom belong to at least one krewe) time their daughters' coming out to take place at a krewe ball. Traditionally the krewes were highly secretive and the balls were open only to members and invited guests, but some of the modern super-krewes sell tickets to the public.

Anyway, back then the ball season had even more meaning than it does today. It was not uncommon for the young marriageable men and women (late teens to early 20s) to attend literally a ball per night. Masking was banned by the city council in 1806, but enforcement was sporadic. Many of the private balls are believed to have been masked despite the ban--after all, the entire government would have attended. It is believed that the ban was primarily enforced against public masking because the American federal government was concerned that masking could give an opportunity for slave uprisings.

In any event, there weren't krewes back then--except possibly the Perseverance Benevolent & Mutual Aid Association, which formed in 1781 and seems to have been a proponent of organized parading.

The first "official" Mardi Gras celebration happened in 1833, so a bit after your time period. But public masking was definitely allowed by the mid-1820s, and people took to the streets in droves wearing wonderfully odd and grotesque costumes.
Sorry for firing off all these questions, I tend to get carried away. Just feel free to ignore the ones you want to ignore.
Sorry for dumping so much information in your lap. I guess I get carried away too :) Feel free to keep asking, I'm sure I can drum up some answers somewhere ;)

I think there was actually a couple of "Marie Laveaus." One was the grandmother in the early 1800s and the other flourished later around Reconstruction. Might have to look that up.
There were two, a mother and a daughter, both born free in New Orleans. The mother came to notoriety around 1820. But part of her mystique was that she never seemed to age. In 1881 Marie Laveau passed away in her home at the age of 98. Yet people continued to see her around town. Eventually someone figured out that, at some point, the elder Marie had passed the mantle to her daughter. That was the secret of her longevity, as well as part of the secret of how she was able to accomplish so much. The two women worked together to develop the Marie Laveau mystique.

Last edited:

Dave Hardy

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if you can use this, but it's a great anecdote. Look up "James Humble" and "Bernard Marigny" and "Duel." It's a little story about how dueling could have unexpected twists. I'm off to get my flatboat off a snag and down the river.

scrivenerlf

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! This is a treasure trove of information. I'm so glad I came across this site and this thread. I'm going to be researching for writing I want to do about life in the South during Reconstruction and a lot of the comments already tell me this is the place to put out some questions.

latourdumoine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I don't know if you can use this, but it's a great anecdote. Look up "James Humble" and "Bernard Marigny" and "Duel." It's a little story about how dueling could have unexpected twists. I'm off to get my flatboat off a snag and down the river.
I just looked them up and I love the story! Hold on, things are actually beginning to crystallize . . . Thank you so much! How's the river btw?

Hope you're feeling better now!
Thanks. I'm in that state where your brain is working in a different mode than it usually would, and so gives you lots and lots of ideas (not all of them good, but at least I'm not confined to my own home anymore:)).

They say that the veil between this world and the next is a bit thinner in New Orleans. Whether that's true or not, who knows? But the entire place is haunted. I was pushed down a flight of stairs in the old slave quarter at my parents' place--and that's not even considered a particularly impressive ghost story among locals.
I was thinking that, but not in those exact same words, more an impression I couldn't really articulate. I can totally see that though. Whether it's because people believe in this and so are more open to it, or whether it's because if and when people believe they open up different portals, or . . . whatever the case may be, I can totally see it. And getting pushed down the stairs, wow. I would have freaked out. When I was living in Budapest, some people said that there was some kind of special energy there. I also read the same thing about Prague. Going by that, I think I can get an impression of the vibe in that respect (strange as that may sound). And just the fact that they call it a "veil between this world and the next" makes it sound to me like there's some deeper knowledge. Btw, can I use the veil-phrase, please? I love that idea, and it fits the story perfectly, since it's basically about this teen bride . . .

One of the oaks still stands today (I actually got married underneath it). Keep in mind that duels were not necessarily fought to the death, sometimes just to first blood, and the combatants were often good friends. Dueling was the accepted means of settling virtually any dispute. Some people fought them just to show off their skill with a weapon.
I have always been fascinated by duels. Love the idea of getting married under one of the oaks. As you can see, in my head there's a very strong connection between those two :).

But coming back to marriage. I know that the husband can't be seen as purely a bad guy, but even though you said it was possible, I still want to see him as the monster. However - and this is why I'm stressing it because your comments have been a huge help - I'm beginning to see the nicer side of him, which would never have happened without this thread. He is limited by his age, upbringing and his idea(l)s.

New Orleans has been in my head for a long time, it even managed to sneak into a WIP that I'm putting the finishing touches on as we speak (I like to work on several things at once). The point at which this really started taking shape though was when I read Kate Chopin's The Awakening. Which reminds me that I forgot to answer a question earlier, I'm looking for both, fiction and non-fiction on the subject.

It's such an iconic image, I'd definitely try to slip it in somewhere.
Interesting you should mention that. I actually had that in there, and it was purely a subconscious move. I mean, it didn't come from thinking, they're from the South, they have to sit on the porch, it just developed from the characters and the action. I just realized this when you commented. There are some scenes in there that describe just that, sitting on the porch, sipping something.

Which reminds me, is it realistic for the domestic slave to mix the lady of the house a drink consisting of ice water, lemon and lime, ginger, sugar and crushed ice because she's pregnant and shouldn't drink alcohol? Part of me is screaming, "way too cliche" and the other is going, "yeah, but there's something in there, I'm just missing one tiny thing / ingredient that either doesn't work or is too cliche." The scene I have is that two friends are drinking this during the summer (they're up North), someone sees this and says something like, "you guys are really channeling New Orleans."

Depends on the context. If you don't know each other very well, then the host pays and the guest graciously accepts. If you're moderately close friends/relatives, then the guest offers to pay/split, the host declines, and both sides mildly protest once or twice before the guest ultimately accepts the host's hospitality. It's the super-close relationships (parent/adult child, siblings, best friends) where the real back-and-forth comes in.
This is exactly how it's done in my family, or how my dad would have done it. Both my parents were really big on manners, but the more I read here, the more I realize that my dad's understanding of the world and etiquette came very, very close to the South.

I was talking about this in a different context with several people from different cultures, and while this is exactly what I would do and what I'm used to, I'm always paranoid about checking. I agree, family is where it gets really interesting. And I love that image of Grandma doing everything and people just doing these minor tasks. For some reason I was thinking of Fried Green Tomatoes. Loved that movie already as a kid.

Another thing, would relatives consider you strange if you didn't get married by a certain age? I actually have relatives like that (24 is really the limit, considering a woman should be educated, but anything older than that, is frowned. And the present generation's habit of "living in sin" is something they really can't deal with, as "the poor children" will get hassled at school because mommy and daddy aren't married).

Again, you can't generalize, but say if I had a character whose aunts were on her case all the time, and someone else would tell her that she should just tell them to "bugger off" and she'd reply that she couldn't because there was the whole issue of respect your elders, that would be realistic, right? When my parents came to visit me during my college years, they would stay with me and my roommates, some friends found that strange, since they rarely saw their parents anymore, others were doing the same.

I always got the feeling that - again a sweeping generalization - if you say that the Portuguese and Italians are closer to their families and speak every day, while the English don't (this is going purely by my set of friends and where they're from), could you make the South Portuguese / Italian in that respect? Maybe I'm not quite over the flu yet, since this last part reads kind of weird to me, and I can't bring my brain to think up something less convoluted, so just feel free to ignore this, if it doesn't make any sense.

Yes. Of course, he'd have to demonstrate that he was the "right sort" (refined, well-dressed, charming, good dancer, excellent conversationalist. It was hard to deny society access to wealthy men's legitimate sons, even if they were boors, but the illegitimate kids, both white and mixed, were fair game for ostracizing if they didn't play by the rules.
Well-dressed, check. Charming, triple check. Good dancer, definitely check. Excellent conversationalist, oh hell yeah. Well, the husband would fit that boorish category perfectly. And again, things are starting to fall into place. Thanks!

Absolutely. A wine master octaroon, assuming he meets the above requirements of charm and refinement, would be a popular guest.
And I'm guessing any function he would care to dream up would be heavily attended . . . ? I'm still playing around with what profession he should have. And checking the list off above, isn't really helping me yet. i need to play around with this some more. But then I always have problems with professions, even in modern day.

I'd say the family pressure would definitely be there. But she is also doing this out of some interior "knowledge" that this has to be. And did I mention that this is heavily tied to the paranormal? Guess, I should have brought this up earlier.

Just don't forget that Jean Lafitte died in 1823, his older brother Pierre in 1821. So you could certainly connect your story to their gang or their descendants, but if you want to tie in to them directly, it needs to be very early on.
Thanks for reminding me of that! I always had him living until into the 40s for some reason. I mean, I checked, of course, but in my head he lived longer. Well, the wife has this crush on Jean Lafitte. Which again reminds me, are there any rumors as to illegitimate kids on Jean's side? I think I remember reading something about Pierre and something with a colored woman, and Jean and Clarissa Claiborne were apparently the Liz Taylor and Richard Burton of their times (not saying they had a love child or anything).

When the wife's baby is taken away, she's reminded of the death of Lafitte (if the event happens in 1824, as I think it might), seeing his death as another sign of her hopelessness because if he were alive, he just might save the baby. Something along those lines. I'm still working it out, but this is beginning to work. :)

Very alternative history. There are no records of race riots in New Orleans until 1866, when the Reconstruction-era Black Codes were adopted. Nothing wrong with alternative history, of course, it's just a different choice.
Sorry, that was my fault entirely. I was reading up on the conflict between Creoles and the new American arrivals that you mentioned as well, and I'm not even sure how that became a race riot. It was about the Governor being too weak (or I'm thinking too lazy) to do anything about it, and wanting to move the capital to Baton Rouge. He had to resign in the end. And in that vein, I love, love, love your suggestion about the prison (especially if the Lafitte brothers were held there), she'd see the building on her way to church.

So wait, the octaroon is thrown into prison, his friends (as you suggest), who are also the husband's friends (some of them, not all), swear vengeance. They plan on knifing him. A higher up politician gets wind of this, brings this to someone with even more power, the guy gets a transfer. Though the husband would still be able to bribe someone to bribe a guard to poison the octaroon. Too "pulpish"? It would not be the first time these two have clashed. And not the last time either, though not on such an immense scale. that's why I like your suggestion of keeping it small. I'm not planning to rewrite history. I do admire people who can do it, and do it well, but at this particular point and for this particular story, it's not really for me.

I can't really take any credit for the swamp scenario, that came from a friend when I was kicking ideas around. I think I might have mentioned this somewhere else as well. But I fell in love with the idea immediately because there's so much cruel symbolism in it, and it's perfect for the character. He wouldn't do it himself of course. And the slave would be too scared. But what if she told someone and that story gets passed on from generation to generation, and some 200 years later, someone overhears it? The ghost could still haunt the swamps . . .

I'll do the rest of this, when I get back. And please don't worry about boring me with any of this. I'm so into it, there's no way I'd ever get bored with it.

Dave Hardy

Registered
Reaction score
I just looked them up and I love the story! Hold on, things are actually beginning to crystallize . . . Thank you so much! How's the river btw?

The Father of Waters is taking a break while I fix a cup of tea. Then I'll dispose of a gang of river pirates and head down to Girod Street. :)

latourdumoine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
The Father of Waters is taking a break while I fix a cup of tea. Then I'll dispose of a gang of river pirates and head down to Girod Street. :)
:) That has got to be the best comment I've heard all week!

She vanished without a trace right after the fire/discovery, so no psychological/medical records exist.

A piece of folklore, though probably just a legend, postulates that she may have escaped to Jamaica, where she became the White Witch of Rose Hall. But other versions of the White Witch legend have the witch murdered around 1832, two years before LaLaurie left New Orleans. So who knows really?
Ah but if she's a witch, who knows what she's capable of, so it could very well be.

That is the best virtual tour of New Orleans I've ever had, thank you so much. I had a look at some of the stuff, but it's so much nicer when you get it from someone else, with the little extras thrown in! Makes it more alive.

The heart of your location is the Place d'Armes, which became Jackson Square in 1815 following the Battle of New Orleans. Your characters would know it by both names. Which they used would depend on what they thought of General Jackson (basically a hero in New Orleans, but politically polarizing).
When you say polarized, I'm guessing it would have to be deeper than merely saying if someone was a Democratic-Republican they wouldn't agree with Jackson. I'll look into that.

The Cathedral was built in 1727 and rebuilt several times after fires. By your era it looked much as it does today, just smaller. The priest at that time was the much-beloved Pere Antoine, who passed away in 1829 and is rumored to haunt the place today. Everyone who was anyone attended Mass, regardless of personal beliefs, as it was very much a see-and-be-seen event. Marie Laveau was highly instrumental in helping get "butts in seats" when attendance seemed to be on the decline shortly before your time period. All were permitted to attend services, from the richest man to the poorest slave.
Ghosts of priests is one thing I always found fascinating. I mean, wouldn't you assume they'd manage to get into the light? I have fifty different theories as to this, which I will spare everyone on here. And I love the idea of people coming to see Marie Laveau and not God :) but then I have a very experimental attitude towards religion, where I can very easily match different types of beliefs and they still make sense, so Voodoo and Catholicism, not a stretch at all ;)

Beyond that, if you use someone notable try to see if the historic address is available. But in general, you can figure that there were residences and businesses all over, and the records aren't really that complete. So you can place things where they make sense for the story.
Yeah, only thing is, I started looking into where the governor / judge / attorney general might have lived, couldn't find anything and then it became this thing, just for the sake of finding it. I'll calm down eventually. I'm thinking now that the Harouni Gallery is more likely to have been the residence of the octaroon (though not quite) or maybe the wife's brother. I love those apartments you described.

So the girl starts attending balls at the age of 15, the future husband sees her there, and asks for her hand in marriage.

What you said about the carnival season and Ash Wednesday, that sounds very close to home. My family's French Catholic on my mom's side, and while I wasn't raised that religious, some traditions were upheld. We didn't fast on Ash Wednesday but there was no meat, and there was most definitely no going out that night, and if I was out the night before, it was home by midnight. The only thing I don't understand is why would someone get married before Good Friday. I get that both Friday 13 and Good Friday are a huge no-no, but if Lent isn't over until Easter Sunday, she wasn't pregnant, and her birthday was on April 13, why get married the day before? Why not wait until after Easter? Maybe it's trivial and just a coincidence, but I'm gonna play around with it for a while.

Thank you so much! I can actually visualize the places much better now, with the people, as opposed to just seeing little snippets of scenes before.

blackrose602

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Going by that, I think I can get an impression of the vibe in that respect (strange as that may sound).
You probably can, to a large extent. I travel full-time now (travel writer) and I've found that each place has its own unique energy, but the overall vibe of haunted cities is similar. For example, Savannah and Charleston (New Orleans' sister cities) felt very much like home to me. But Charleston is sort of the upper-crust older sister of the family and Savannah's the young upstart (going on energies, not actual ages). Does that make any sense? Savannah's energy is a bit quicker (even though it's still a slow Southern city) and Charleston's is more refined.

New Orleans' energy is very mixed, since the city is so cosmopolitan yet so steeped in history. I used to get kind of edgy, feeling somewhat off-kilter, around Mardi Gras season--even though I love the holiday. I eventually figured out that it was because of the influx of chaotic tourist energy. But my mom taught me to let all that bubble up to the surface and dissipate without really affecting me.

Meanwhile, the energy that Bourbon Street tourists never experience is always there--a bit quieter than the noisy chaos, but always around. You can feel it especially strongly when walking the streets of the Lower Quarter (more residential, fewer bars) around 3-4 am. It melds perfectly with the sticky-sweet smell of flowers blooming in the courtyards, the palpable wet-blanket humidity, the faint scent of drying rain puddles, and the touch of a light breeze. The energy feels mysterious, almost dangerous yet entirely irresistible. It draws you in, makes you want to know more, understand more, experience more. In some ways I compare it to the classic "bad boy" archetype--dangerous and thrilling and beautiful and exciting--though it's definitely a more feminine version.

Another legend--I've been told that Marie Laveau placed a blessing/curse on the city. If you leave in anger or distress, strife and discord and tragedy will follow you, and you may be forced to return. But if you leave with love and respect in your heart, then you will be blessed in untold measure and always welcomed home again should you choose to return. I don't know if that's true or not, but I do know it's one of those places that gets into your blood. I wasn't born there, but on my first visit at age 16, I got out of the car, looked around, and said simply, "I'm home." I always knew I would live there. Now every time I leave, I miss it terribly. And when I return, I feel welcomed back. Does any of that make any sense at all?

And just the fact that they call it a "veil between this world and the next" makes it sound to me like there's some deeper knowledge. Btw, can I use the veil-phrase, please? I love that idea, and it fits the story perfectly, since it's basically about this teen bride . . .
Please feel free to use it. I've always just loved that saying, I think it sums things up perfectly. Just my own opinion, I think there has to be some deeper spiritual aspect--ley lines? Ancient tribes? Who knows, but where else could voodoo, Catholicism, new-age spiritualism, Victorian spiritualism, Wicca, other pagan practices...all be practiced by the same person simultaneously?

Another legend, admittedly way more than modern than your era. It is said that the Superdome was built on an ancient Indian burial ground. The Saints' record would certainly make a curse believable. But when the Superdome reopened more than a year after Hurricane Katrina, a priest came in to bless the stadium and the team. That year marked the Saints' turnaround, a string of good seasons culminating in the Super Bowl XLIV win. Granted, many people attribute that more to Drew Brees and Sean Payton than curses and blessings, but it's still a neat story.

Another Katrina anecdote. The statue of Jesus behind St. Louis Cathedral was flanked by two enormous live oak trees, hundreds of years old. Both trees came down in the storm. They took the thumb of one hand and the pinkie finger of the other, but the statue was otherwise undamaged. The pieces were found during post-hurricane restoration work, but the Archdiocese declined to have them reattached. They put out a statement that the statue would not be repaired until the city is whole again.

Anyway, back to your time period.

I'm beginning to see the nicer side of him, which would never have happened without this thread. He is limited by his age, upbringing and his idea(l)s.
Have you ever read Black Like Me? It's set in the Jim Crow South, the late 1950s, so well after your era. But it's the memoir of a white man who poses as a black man to try to gain insight into the racial tensions. Through his eyes, it's so easy to see the huge effects of age, upbringing and ideals. Maybe give it a look to help you further clarify your husband character. Sounds like you're on the right track.

Which reminds me, is it realistic for the domestic slave to mix the lady of the house a drink consisting of ice water, lemon and lime, ginger, sugar and crushed ice because she's pregnant and shouldn't drink alcohol? Part of me is screaming, "way too cliche" and the other is going, "yeah, but there's something in there, I'm just missing one tiny thing / ingredient that either doesn't work or is too cliche." The scene I have is that two friends are drinking this during the summer (they're up North), someone sees this and says something like, "you guys are really channeling New Orleans."
Well...your ingredients are very close to the modern recipe for an <insert your alcohol of choice here> cooler (brandy cooler, rum cooler). That's lemon-lime soda and a lemon wedge, plus the alcohol. So I could totally buy the ice water and sugar to dilute the lemon and lime. Ginger's known for settling the stomach, so that makes sense too. And it's hot, so of course it would go over crushed ice. I like it. The only thing I'm not sure about is the "not drinking while pregnant." I know the medical community had an opinion on that back in the 17th century, but it happened quite a bit all the way up through the 1980s--basically until Fetal Alcohol Syndrome was all over the news. So would your lady really have abstained? I suppose you could go either way with it.

Both my parents were really big on manners, but the more I read here, the more I realize that my dad's understanding of the world and etiquette came very, very close to the South.
That's really cool, actually, and discussing this with you has made me think about how codified Southern behavior really is. It's not something you think about when you grow up here, it's just how things are. Of course, people are people and everyone does things their own way, but some of the stereotypes really are true.

That brings me to a really important New Orleans issue--time. One night my dad was waiting for a Mardi Gras parade. Families make an entire day of it--staking out a spot, putting their kids up on seats on top of wooden ladders, having a huge crawfish boil in a massive pot in the middle of the sidewalk. The parades last for hours (3-4 hours for the bigger ones) and there are often two or three in the afternoon and two or three at night. So you just sit around and drink and eat and socialize.

Anyway, there was this lady there, who had clearly never been to New Orleans before. She was wearing a suit and carrying a briefcase (really dumb idea when you'll be on a curb for 16 hours). So parade time came and she started nervously pacing and glaring down the street, then at her watch, then back down the street. Five minutes later she cried out, "When's this damn thing gonna start?"

Any damn time it wants to. That's New Orleans time. When I ran a historic restoration company, I had to get used to the fact that New Orleans time applies to contractors too. Having been raised in a construction family in Orlando, I was used to contractors getting to the Home Depot at 6am and arriving on the job site by 8. I once made the mistake of showing up at a client's home at 10am, and I got roundly chewed out for waking her up! Everyone stays up late, the bars don't close, and everyone sleeps in. Nothing really happens in NOLA before 11 or so, and appointment times are more like guidelines than actual rules, to paraphrase Jack Sparrow.

Another thing, would relatives consider you strange if you didn't get married by a certain age? I actually have relatives like that (24 is really the limit, considering a woman should be educated, but anything older than that, is frowned. And the present generation's habit of "living in sin" is something they really can't deal with, as "the poor children" will get hassled at school because mommy and daddy aren't married).
I have relatives like that too--and good lord help anyone that my grandmother finds out is "living in sin." I don't care if you're 50 years old, you will get a lecture that makes you feel like you're six again. I'm twice divorced, and apparently on a one-way street directly to hell.

Again, you can't generalize, but say if I had a character whose aunts were on her case all the time, and someone else would tell her that she should just tell them to "bugger off" and she'd reply that she couldn't because there was the whole issue of respect your elders, that would be realistic, right? When my parents came to visit me during my college years, they would stay with me and my roommates, some friends found that strange, since they rarely saw their parents anymore, others were doing the same.
Are you talking 1820s or present? In that era, I can't fathom anyone even suggesting that someone disrespect her family like that. It just wasn't done, at least in the South. Now, if she was a "modern" (for the times) woman, she might have gone and done as she damn well pleased anyway, but she would have treated her elders with nothing less than kid gloves and utmost respect.

I always got the feeling that - again a sweeping generalization - if you say that the Portuguese and Italians are closer to their families and speak every day, while the English don't (this is going purely by my set of friends and where they're from), could you make the South Portuguese / Italian in that respect?
Yes, that would be fairly accurate. My uncle still calls my grandmother at least three times a day and stops by four or five times a week. My dad and I share an RV and travel the world together. My aunt takes responsibility for every ill or aging person in the family despite the fact that she's pushing 70 herself and is a very recent breast cancer survivor.

And I'm guessing any function he would care to dream up would be heavily attended . . . ?
Oh, yeah. He'd be quite popular. He might also host quadroon balls. Those were basically a way for women of color to get their mixed-race daughters into the upper echelons of society...sort of a black debutante ball. The pressure was really on to find a wealthy man who would take you on as a placage, since even if your mother had that sort of arrangement, it didn't carry over to the daughters once they were of marriageable age.

And did I mention that this is heavily tied to the paranormal? Guess, I should have brought this up earlier.
Do tell! I'm dying of curiosity now!!

Thanks for reminding me of that! I always had him living until into the 40s for some reason. I mean, I checked, of course, but in my head he lived longer. Well, the wife has this crush on Jean Lafitte. Which again reminds me, are there any rumors as to illegitimate kids on Jean's side?
Oh, goodness, yes. Jean was apparently a real charmer with the ladies, and is known to have had several quadroon mistresses/common-law wives. The primary seems to have been Catherine Villars, sister of Marie Villars, who was Pierre's primary dalliance. Jean and Catherine had at least one child, whom they named Pierre.

I think I remember reading something about Pierre and something with a colored woman, and Jean and Clarissa Claiborne were apparently the Liz Taylor and Richard Burton of their times (not saying they had a love child or anything).
Yes, apparently Jean and Clarissa were quite the picture together. Rumors abounded as to the actual nature of their relationship, but nobody really knows for sure.

That reminds me, are you aware of Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop? Legend has it that it was a cover business for Jean and Pierre during their years in New Orleans. Historical records show that there was a blacksmith named Lafitte in New Orleans at that time, so it is at least somewhat substantiated.

The building was constructed between 1722 and 1732, and managed to escape two great fires that destroyed most of New Orleans' buildings of that era. It's the oldest building used as a bar in the United States, and one of the oldest existing buildings in New Orleans (along with the Old Ursuline Convent, itself the stuff of ghost stories).

Today it's a bar in the Lower Quarter, at the corner of Bourbon and St. Philip. I lived for several years just half a block down, so I was there quite frequently. What's mind-boggling is that other than the addition of absolutely essential electricity (the bar coolers, electric lights in the bathrooms, a small TV above the bar), virtually NOTHING has been done to it. It would be condemned in any other city. The building sags badly at one corner (though it was shored up a bit a few years ago). There are no electric lights except in the bathrooms--how many places could get away with lighting solely by candles, no emergency lights or anything, while packed to overflowing with drunk tourists? The old brick oven is still there, right in the middle of the main room.

The owners decided to spruce it up a few years ago (the same time they shored up the sagging corner), and everyone was absolutely appalled. So here's how it went down. At the time, it hadn't been painted in over 100 years. Much of the paint was chipped off, just simply gone, with the bricks peeking out. It was a fantastic, and completely real, effect. So they decided to pay a contractor a whole lot of money to repaint the outside--in a faux finish that looked like the paint was gone in places and the brick was visible! It looked horrible at first, but it doesn't take things long to weather in New Orleans, so now it's more subdued and looks a lot more like it did before they messed with it.

It's a regular stop on some of the ghost tours, and for very good reason. Besides the Convent, it's arguably one of the most haunted spots in the city.

When the wife's baby is taken away, she's reminded of the death of Lafitte (if the event happens in 1824, as I think it might), seeing his death as another sign of her hopelessness because if he were alive, he just might save the baby. Something along those lines. I'm still working it out, but this is beginning to work.
clip_image001.gif
I love it! And it would be perfectly in character for Lafitte to save the baby, so it wouldn't just be fantasy on her part to believe that he would.

Sorry, that was my fault entirely. I was reading up on the conflict between Creoles and the new American arrivals that you mentioned as well, and I'm not even sure how that became a race riot. It was about the Governor being too weak (or I'm thinking too lazy) to do anything about it, and wanting to move the capital to Baton Rouge. He had to resign in the end.
Yes, that's the story I remember :)

And in that vein, I love, love, love your suggestion about the prison (especially if the Lafitte brothers were held there), she'd see the building on her way to church.
The prison was in what's now Pirate's Alley (three guesses why it's called that and the first two don't count ;). It was diagonally across from the rear courtyard of the church--where, by the way, the Lafittes were granted permission to sell their wares. Can you imagine? Pirates setting up shop in the courtyard of a Catholic church, in the shadow of the imposing prison? I love it so much! Today Pirate's Alley Cafe is there, in a building that went in on the site in 1837 after the prison was torn down.

So wait, the octaroon is thrown into prison, his friends (as you suggest), who are also the husband's friends (some of them, not all), swear vengeance. They plan on knifing him. A higher up politician gets wind of this, brings this to someone with even more power, the guy gets a transfer. Though the husband would still be able to bribe someone to bribe a guard to poison the octaroon. Too "pulpish"?
Pulpish perhaps, but absolutely, positively plausible. You have to remember, we're known for our corruption as well. We were, after all, the ones with the congressman who stashed $90,000 in a freezer! It was, is, and probably always will be easy enough to exert "influence" over the city's politicians.

I can't really take any credit for the swamp scenario, that came from a friend when I was kicking ideas around. I think I might have mentioned this somewhere else as well. But I fell in love with the idea immediately because there's so much cruel symbolism in it, and it's perfect for the character. He wouldn't do it himself of course. And the slave would be too scared. But what if she told someone and that story gets passed on from generation to generation, and some 200 years later, someone overhears it? The ghost could still haunt the swamps . . .
Nice! I love it...creating a haunting that weaves into the modern-day fabric of the city. Wonderful idea!
I'll do the rest of this, when I get back. And please don't worry about boring me with any of this. I'm so into it, there's no way I'd ever get bored with it.
So glad to hear that! It's one of my favorite topics, so I'm thrilled to have someone to discuss it with!

latourdumoine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
You are my absolute hero!! And what you wrote about the energies, it makes absolute sense. I got it really strongly in Budapest and here. I knew I'd end up here from when I was a kid and first heard of this country called Finland. I just didn't know how, and then events conspired and bam. It's been an interesting ride ever since. I'm so exited, I'm typing faster than I can think, because there's a lot of stuff here that I feel to cover ASAP. But the energy here, it was slow in coming, and then it sort of exploded. Now it's petering out, but then it flares up again.

If the octaroon organized quadroon balls, would he then get first pick? Because I was getting inspiration from some modern songs, and I could not get that image of him sitting there sort of "picking" the girls out of my mind, you know, the charmer's eye and all that. Subtly of course, not too in-your-face but still very much there?

Lafitte saved babies? I did not know that, but wow! I am speechless!! I'm so happy it could work though. Because that really is an important element in there.

Meanwhile, the energy that Bourbon Street tourists never experience is always there--a bit quieter than the noisy chaos, but always around. You can feel it especially strongly when walking the streets of the Lower Quarter (more residential, fewer bars) around 3-4 am. It melds perfectly with the sticky-sweet smell of flowers blooming in the courtyards, the palpable wet-blanket humidity, the faint scent of drying rain puddles, and the touch of a light breeze. The energy feels mysterious, almost dangerous yet entirely irresistible. It draws you in, makes you want to know more, understand more, experience more. In some ways I compare it to the classic "bad boy" archetype--dangerous and thrilling and beautiful and exciting--though it's definitely a more feminine version.
I am so on board with that. Which brings me to another thing, would you be able to feel that energy if you were far away and had never been there before? Or if you had been there as a baby? You mentioned that you felt that you'd come home. So if the character had been there as a baby, she could have picked up on that later, couldn't she? I can totally believe the curse / blessing that Marie Laveau placed on the city. Actually to me, that's the only logical explanation for a lot of things. And thank you for letting me use the phrase :). It's so perfect, the bride, so hopeful, and yet, all her hopes were dashed.

Have you ever read Black Like Me? It's set in the Jim Crow South, the late 1950s, so well after your era. But it's the memoir of a white man who poses as a black man to try to gain insight into the racial tensions. Through his eyes, it's so easy to see the huge effects of age, upbringing and ideals. Maybe give it a look to help you further clarify your husband character. Sounds like you're on the right track.
I heard of the book. My dad's best friend that I mentioned, he was basically my surrogate uncle. The person you go to when you need someone to talk to when you don't really want to talk to your parents because no matter how close you are as a family, sometimes you need someone not related by blood. He was black, and he never really spoke about racism (he was born in 1949) but there were little things that spoke volumes. He could watch any horror movie, no matter how bad or gory it was and never blink. He had this "bet" with my mom for two years running that he would be able to find a horror movie that would scared her because no matter what he brought to the table, she'd just shrug it off and she'd never get scared. I was back in the States, and he called me just to say that he'd found one, and she'd blinked. I told him that actually counted. But if I was watching a movie with him and there was a black guy beaten up by a cop, he'd have to leave the room. I think that, more than anything, taught me a lot about black and white perception in the South. It was pretty powerful.

And that made me smile that I managed to understand the husband! Like I said, I do want to show a human side of him and not just this stereotypical white supremacist. That means a lot to me. I was watching this interview with Bryce Dallas Howard about her part in The Help, and she was saying that she was trying to find some sort of humanity in the character, and the one thing she could come up with was that she felt threatened and she really believed she was protecting the people she cared for, that she wasn't all bad, and that was the only way she could play the character.

Well...your ingredients are very close to the modern recipe for an <insert your alcohol of choice here> cooler (brandy cooler, rum cooler). That's lemon-lime soda and a lemon wedge, plus the alcohol. So I could totally buy the ice water and sugar to dilute the lemon and lime. Ginger's known for settling the stomach, so that makes sense too. And it's hot, so of course it would go over crushed ice. I like it. The only thing I'm not sure about is the "not drinking while pregnant." I know the medical community had an opinion on that back in the 17th century, but it happened quite a bit all the way up through the 1980s--basically until Fetal Alcohol Syndrome was all over the news. So would your lady really have abstained? I suppose you could go either way with it.
Yeah, I had issues with that as well, the not drinking when pregnant. Again, that's my friend's doing. I was writing at her place of work, and she started mixing that over the summer. A few hours after that, the person who "introduced" me to David Harouni showed up, so I decided to put the two together. But hey, if the pregnant lady was worried, and the doctor was there, couldn't he recommend it as well? To cool her down maybe? Not sure how popular ginger was back then. Or the octaroon could bring it out to her when she's in the garden at a ball, trying to cool down.

I can see I'd love it there. Here people are ten minutes early and that's considered "right on time." I tend to see it as guidelines, too. Of course, I adapt, but when it's of my own making, or when I meet up with my French friends, no one is on time. My dad was interesting in that respect. If he said he'd meet you somewhere at a specified time, he'd be there 15-30 minutes early. But if it was something like a parade and it didn't start on time, he was fine with that.

I'm twice divorced, and apparently on a one-way street directly to hell.
Hah! I have relatives who I'm sure think I'm going to hell in a hand basket because I'm at an age where I should be married, but I really don't feel like getting married. :)

Are you talking 1820s or present? In that era, I can't fathom anyone even suggesting that someone disrespect her family like that. It just wasn't done, at least in the South. Now, if she was a "modern" (for the times) woman, she might have gone and done as she damn well pleased anyway, but she would have treated her elders with nothing less than kid gloves and utmost respect.
Sorry, I meant now. I cannot see that taking place in the 1820s. Even now at family dinners, when I disagree with my aunts and uncles there is no way I could even tell them that their opinions are wrong. Like you said, nothing but kid gloves and utmost respect. And isn't it interesting how you never really think about it, it's just the way things are.

I always find it interesting to see people's reactions when you're out with your friends and your parents call you. Those with the same family dynamic will immediately understand and smile, even tell you to pass on their regards to your parents. Those who see their parents once every five years, give you an interesting look. When I was in England, I had friends who would prefer to work over the holidays because it was better money and they couldn't go home. That was one thing that would never have worked in my family. If you couldn't come to see them for the holidays, they'd show up on your doorstep. I like it, but I know people who feel restricted by it.

Oh, yeah. He'd be quite popular. He might also host quadroon balls. Those were basically a way for women of color to get their mixed-race daughters into the upper echelons of society...sort of a black debutante ball. The pressure was really on to find a wealthy man who would take you on as a placage, since even if your mother had that sort of arrangement, it didn't carry over to the daughters once they were of marriageable age.
Would white women be able to attend these balls as well? I have this image of the Lafitte brothers showing up there and the character who will later become the young wife of the pompous husband, sneaks out from a ball next door (with her brother's help, if they're 15/16) to see the quadroon balls. But as the host, would he be expected to dance with a few chosen girls or just one? Even the mothers?

I'm still trying to come up with a "crime" they can pin on him. Obviously, they can't say he defiled the wife, since the whole scandal would come out then, but maybe they could pin the issue of money on him, he stole some, embezzled some. I'll figure something out. And I know I keep saying that a lot, but I am also training myself in patience here, letting the ideas develop.

Do tell! I'm dying of curiosity now!!
Sure, no problem, but I'd rather do it over PM or email. Everyone here has been really sweet and helpful, but I'm worried about lurkers and it is a pretty crazy story. Not to mention that it could get pretty long (and that's from the person writing long posts to begin with :) )

Oh, goodness, yes. Jean was apparently a real charmer with the ladies, and is known to have had several quadroon mistresses/common-law wives. The primary seems to have been Catherine Villars, sister of Marie Villars, who was Pierre's primary dalliance. Jean and Catherine had at least one child, whom they named Pierre.
How could I forget that! I always want to see Jean and Clarissa as a couple. On a less romantic scale, they could just have been great friends, but still, the romantic in me wins out. And another question, are people in the South more romantic in the sense that one can say the French / Italians are more romantic than their Northern European brethren (again, I know it's a cliche, but hopefully that makes sense).

I've been meaning to go see Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop since I first heard of it about a year ago. I'm almost more inclined to believe public lore than documents in this case. And yeah, I cannot see it standing anywhere else without getting some heavy duty fines, threats of being torn down, but that place I really want to see. And I wonder who's doing the hauntings. It can't just be Jean and Pierre.

I love it! And it would be perfectly in character for Lafitte to save the baby, so it wouldn't just be fantasy on her part to believe that he would.
:) Cool! And I did not know that he would save the baby. I did hear that one story about how some guy had to pay Jean back some money and was scared and he took his young daughter with him, and Jean sat her down in his lap or something or let her deal the cards, and he won. I always tried to imagine what became of the girl later. But I can see how a lot of women would have a crush on him. And he kind of personifies NOLA to me as well, what you said about the bad boy image. Sure, you said a more feminine touch, but that energy at night . . .

Was there ever anything about fire? I know a lot of places burned down, but I'm thinking about fires that (allegedly) had to do with curses. Something along the lines of, someone cursing a family with, "every time you think of fire, every time you mention it, or play with it . . ."

Also, is there any way you can see this as a curse: The characters aren't connected to NOLA yet. Sometimes it comes up in conversation, sometimes it doesn't. One of the characters starts doing a project / article series. An item in that series includes the death of someone she once knew in a NOLA hotel room. The image she has is vivid, even though he hasn't died there and is still alive. Ever since she weaved that into her writing, the series has an element of bad luck attached to it. Whenever she tries to revive it, it's as tough there's bad luck around her, as though someone or something doesn't want her to take this further. Does that make sense?

Yes, that's the story I remember :)
;) And how do the people see that particular governor? I found a eulogy that praised him to high heaven. And then some articles stated that he was, to put it nicely, a pompous *******.

The prison was in what's now Pirate's Alley (three guesses why it's called that and the first two don't count ;). It was diagonally across from the rear courtyard of the church--where, by the way, the Lafittes were granted permission to sell their wares. Can you imagine? Pirates setting up shop in the courtyard of a Catholic church, in the shadow of the imposing prison? I love it so much! Today Pirate's Alley Cafe is there, in a building that went in on the site in 1837 after the prison was torn down.
See, to me that's the only way to do business. They obviously love the thrill (while sending everyone a message (prisoners, onlookers and guards), the ladies get something for the eyes, and well, business is business. :)

Pulpish perhaps, but absolutely, positively plausible. You have to remember, we're known for our corruption as well. We were, after all, the ones with the congressman who stashed $90,000 in a freezer! It was, is, and probably always will be easy enough to exert "influence" over the city's politicians.
That's interesting, when I first started putting all this in context, I actually wrote it out like that, a city full or corruption but at the same time active and vibrant. Didn't mean it in a disrespectful way either. Then again, I have all that Hungarian blood from my dad's side, and that place is pretty corrupt. Btw, how would you describe the humor in NOLA? Again, generalizing, but people here tend to have a very dry sense of humor, very morbid, too. And it's perfectly alright to talk about death. Or it'll come up in conversation. You'll ask someone something about a building or anything and they'll give you the information and then go, "a friend of mine committed suicide from one of those." A friend pointed out to me how Death is portrayed in paintings here, as opposed to Southern European paintings, which was really an eye opener.

Nice! I love it...creating a haunting that weaves into the modern-day fabric of the city. Wonderful idea!
Thank you! :) That will definitely keep me going when I'm stuck.

So glad to hear that! It's one of my favorite topics, so I'm thrilled to have someone to discuss it with!
Hello, can of worms ;). Seriously, I'm beyond thrilled! And very, very grateful.