Pattern books?

geminirising

Registered
Reaction score
I'm evaluating a picture book manuscript. The author describes it as a "preschool pattern book." I've worked in commercial publishing for years, and I've never heard the term "pattern book." Is this a thing in educational publishing?

After reading the book, I can guess what she means . . . basically, the repetition of text/format allows readers to anticipate/predict what the coming text will be. That's pretty much the hook of her story—other than this, there's no plot/escalation/conflict. I'm really not sure a "pattern book" is a marketable concept in the commercial realm, especially since she's already hired an illustrator (a big no-no in commercial publishing). Any thoughts?

kenpochick

I should be writing, not on AW.:-)
Registered
Reaction score
To the other question, yes it is an extremely marketable and established concept in the commercial realm though I agree she should be looking for an agent and not an illustrator.

geminirising

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. She asked me to evaluate it because I have editorial experience in MG/YA children's lit. I just wasn't familiar with this particular market. I'm trying to familiarize myself with it so I can help her with whatever I find.

Last edited:

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Patterns are an educational tool. They assist with teaching reading because the kids will recognize repeated words sooner and be able to point to them, etc.

Is this a concept book? What I mean is is the text intended to teach a concept? Alphabet books are concept books. They don't need a plot, but they do need a cohesive theme. These days, they also often contain plots. If the concept can be done with a story, it will have better marketability. Otherwise the key is curriculum connections. Is it something teachers could use in their lesson plans? Is it geared to the correct age group for those lessons?

I hope this helps.