My pity party

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
I will preface by saying I'm not really expecting anybody to read this long pity party! It all happened years ago and it killed my mojo--I stopped writing and am no longer part of the community. But occasionally I think about it and get flashes of anger and I know I have some bitterness I need to let go of. I thought writing it all out somewhere with other writers might be cathartic.

I queried my first MS in 2016. I was pretty green and had no agented friends, but knew enough to write a decent query and avoid the truly horrible beginner offences. I also knew enough to check P&E and AW'S Bewares section to avoid scam agencies, but I wasn't immersed enough in the industry to know a top agent from a meh agent. I ended up with two requests for calls. Agent 1 wanted major revisions. Agent 2 wanted minor revisions. Both were new agents. I know now that Agent 1 was from a highly respected agency and Agent 2 was from one that wasn't on anybody's radar, but I didn't know at the time. I went with Agent 2. I'm still annoyed with myself about this, even though I can't really blame myself - I didn't know what I didn't know, if that makes sense.

I signed, we did some light edits, and my new agent sent the book on sub. She wouldn't give me a subs list, saying that giving authors data only makes us obsess. I didn't like not knowing but I was too green and too excited to rock the boat. She did tell me how many she had subbed to, and when we got rejections she would name the imprints that had passed. Based on that she went to the right imprints--Big 5, agented-subs only, etc.

That MS didn't sell but while querying I had written a second. When it was polished I sent it to my agent. It took her three months to read it, even though she only had a few clients (I was the first one to sign with her). She gave a couple of paragraphs of minor feedback. While implementing the changes I had a spark of inspiration about plot points that had been bothering me, and ended up making a major revision. It was another three months before she read the new version, and we did some more minor revisions to get it ready for sub.

Before we could sub the agency owner went AWOL. The agents couldn't do much without her so after a few months they jumped ship. Mine went to a much more reputable agency (BookEnds). I had read Jessica Faust's blog posts and knew she was an author advocate and an industry veteran, so I was really happy.

Once my agent was settled at BookEnds, we went on sub. Again, she wouldn't give me a subs list. Communication continued to be glacial - not just for reading new mss, but simple questions would go unaswered. I would nudge after a few weeks or a month and invariably get an excuse... more than once emails started "I must have had a stroke because I thought I'd answered this already." I was friendly with another of her authors by this point and she had the same experience - slow replies, disorganisation. But neither of us wanted to go through querying again, and the niggles didn't seem big enough to do anything drastic.

I got sporadic updates until eventually my agent asked for a call. We had an offer for the second MS. My agent said she was so pleased "because this MS came so close to being acquired so many times!" which was complete news to me. The offer was from a UK publisher that I didn't know much about--I'm in the UK but I had always targeted the US market as it's so much bigger for romance--but it was a Big 5 imprint, only took agented submissions, and it was a print contract. The only points my agent tried to negotiate were the advance and to include some free agent copies. She got the copies but they wouldn't budge on the advance. The advance was acceptable to me and I signed.

A few months later I got an edit letter from my new editor. I read it and my stomach flipped. She was asking me to make all the changes I had already made... my agent had subbed the old version, from before I had made major plot revisions. I messaged my agent urgently and she did get back to me quickly for once, but not only did she not apologise or seem bothered in any way, she left ME to explain the fuck up to my editor. Thankfully the editor was absolutely lovely about it, even though we (my agent) had wasted god knows how many hours of her time. I sent the revised MS to my editor and things carried on.

At some points during the publishing process I asked my agent for advice. For example, when I got copy edits and began working through them, I had a crisis of confidence and suddenly hated every word I had written. I asked my agent if I was 'allowed' to make additional edits at that stage or if that would just annoy everyone. She never replied. Luckily I was sensible, kept my head, and stuck to addressing the copy editor's suggestions.

My book was released right when the pandemic was registering as a Serious Big Thing. February 2020. A handful of bloggers reviewed ARCs they'd been sent, though at least two said "I haven't had time to read this but it sounds fun!" I'm very grateful to them and I don't want this to sound like an insult to them, but it wasn't big name bloggers with lots of influence. The publisher did a blog post on their website. That seemed to be the sum total of promotion, which might have been fine if the book was being shelved in shops, but it transpired the print run had only been for 500 copies and the publisher focuses heavily on eBooks. I know some of the 500 copies went to libraries, as there is (or was at the time) a website where I could search stock at libraries across the country. But I never saw it in any book shops and neither did any of my friends--except my local branch of Waterstones, who kindly ordered a few copies after I introduced myself. I asked one other bookshop if they might order a copy--a shop very special to me in London--but they never replied.

Reviews were generally good. Last I checked I was sitting at around 4/5 on Goodreads and slightly better on Amazon. Good reviews, but very few of them. Not many people have heard of my book and I don't know how they were ever expected to... as a reader, I've got no idea how I would have found it.

While this book was being published I wrote another, which my agent hated. I had completely lost confidence at this point but sent three chapters of a new MS. Months went by with no response. I was feeling very dejected at this point. At the encouragement of some writer friends I wrote to Jessica Faust and asked to speak to her. We had a video call where I asked if I could be transferred to another BookEnds agent because of my communication issues with my current agent. She couldn't have been less interested and asked no details--I think the call lasted just under three minutes--but said she would "Get Amanda's [my agent's] persepective" and let me know. My agent sent me an email apologising for one specific query she hadn't answered. I'd heard the excuses before. The next week Jessica wrote to say none of her agents had room on their lists and I was released from my contract.

I think that's the part I'm most bitter about. That an agency who presents itself as so author-friendly was so uninterested in helping me when one of their own agents was behaving so poorly.

There was an options clause in my contract so I sent my editor a proposal package for another book and told her I was no longer agented. She replied that she liked the proposal but "sales of the first book aren't where they need to be" for her to acquire another book by me. I'm bitter that I seem to have done my job well--writing a book that got good reviews--and the publisher seems to have failed in their part--getting the book in front of readers--but it's me who lost out.

I know sour grapes aren't a good look. I know the publisher probably did a lot of stuff I never saw to get my book out there, but the stars didn't align. I know I probably did that British thing of being too polite when talking to Jessica, so she didn't realise how badly my agent had fucked up. I know my agent probably gave her a completely different story where I was a nightmare client. I know I need to let go of this so I can find joy in writing again. But for me, it's easier said than done.

Thank for for reading if you made it this far, and please don't think too badly of me for clinging on to this anger. Thanks for letting me get it all out.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry this happened to you, Earthling. There are others here at AW who've also had a less-than-stellar trade publishing experience (I'm one), and those wounds run very deep.

Hope talking about it helped.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I am so sorry all of this happened to you.

You're not alone having had a trade disaster. All I can say is it's not you, it's them.

I have come to believe that having a good agent is the most important part of the process, and it doesn't sound like yours was a good agent to you.

I get angry too. Still. Frequently. But it's getting better, slowly.

Vent as you need. (Consider opening a thread on Conquering Challenges - it's a good place to go when you just need to rage at the world for a while.)

alexp336

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alexpendragon.com
I'm still annoyed with myself about this, even though I can't really blame myself - I didn't know what I didn't know, if that makes sense.

There's a quote I heard once which has stuck with me for years, that "people do what they know, and when they know better, they do better." You made the best decisions you could at the time, from what you knew of an opaque and often confusing industry, and faced with a situation which is meant to be a gleefully happy one for a writer. I hope you can forgive yourself for being human and - like all of us - fallible in those circumstances.

I'm really sorry your experience was so disappointing, I'm frustrated for you that you had such poor advice and support.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all so much. I'm actually tearing up from your kind words - I think mrsmig hit it on the head and these wounds run deeper than I thought, or deeper than I think they should. And it's reminding me how much I miss the writing community!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know, I hope, that you don't have to be writing or even thinking about writing to be welcome here. Over the years we've had scores of people whose writing seems to be entirely on our boards.

Maryn, wondering what this sticky stuff on the welcome mat is

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
You know, I hope, that you don't have to be writing or even thinking about writing to be welcome here. Over the years we've had scores of people whose writing seems to be entirely on our boards.

Maryn, wondering what this sticky stuff on the welcome mat is

Oh, I know! AW is wonderful. I'm poking around the other sub-forums and all the writing talk makes me feel cosy, like returning to my hometown.

I've been thinking of trying to write something for an open call, which is what prompted me to come back and write this out. It's for a small press I sold a novella to before my novel was published, and because it was a novella and a small press I never had high expectations for sales and none of this feeling of failure. It was published six years ago and I still get occasional (and very small) royalty payments, which is nice. :)

kitkatt33

Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, I'm very new to writing, but it sounds like a lot of what happened was out of your control. Let yourself feel whatever you need to feel about what happened for as long as you need.

pebbleg

Registered
Reaction score
It must have been tough bottling this up for so long … I’m glad you find a safe community to let it out.
No words here but a big hug. Wish you much better luck for your next journey — for one thing this experience did not take away your talent to write. And as long as you can write, there is hope!

Reactions: Earthling

inksplatter

Registered
Reaction score
I think you're being too hard on yourself.

You wrote a story that two agents believed in, an editor believed in, and a publisher believed it. The words were printed into an actual physical book, and you got to read the words that you worked so hard over. Other people read it, you have a 4 star rating on Goodreads, except...the market just didn't align for you and the book.

But still, you got to a certain point on the Alpine Path. And that's a commendable achievement on its own!

lilysheaven

The Sleepless
Registered
Reaction score
Thank for for reading if you made it this far, and please don't think too badly of me for clinging on to this anger. Thanks for letting me get it all out.
I don't think anyone can think badly of you for holding onto this anger. I would've as well if this happened to me. This sounds awful and I'm sorry you went through this. That agency failed you, the agent failed you. You did not deserve this to happen to you. You deserve better. And I hope you come back to writing and that something better will come from it for you.

Thank you for trusting us with this information. I hope the release was helpful. This certainly is good for anyone looking to publish to be aware of, so thank you for trusting us with such vulnerable info.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
You may think you’re just venting, but I think it’s good to get all kinds of publishing experiences out there for newer authors. The good, the bad, the in-between. It’s incredibly disappointing to end up in a bad agent relationship, even if you’ve had some success at getting trade published. And it’s good to share experiences that show that, while getting trade publishing is amazing, it doesn’t mean everything’s going to be perfect from then on out.

I’m hoping that because you’ve been trade published before & have proven you can work with agents and editors to produce a well-received (if by fewer than you would like) book, that you’ll get a little boost from that in the query trenches for the next book.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The book was romance, yes? I've heard of bad experiences from not a few other romance writers. That world can be cutthroat, but the market is still huge, and growing. I'd keep trying!

Nether

is going back to magic school
Registered
Reaction score
I will preface by saying I'm not really expecting anybody to read this long pity party!

If you'd front-loaded the Bookends connection and named the agent sooner, my interest level would've been high from the get-go.

Bookends presents itself very favorably and maintains an active presence on YT, etc, so the agency had always been on my radar -- even when they started branching out to selling services (which I'm always a little leery about, since successful agencies tend to keep very busy on their normal activities). So something like feels like a bit of a beware.

Sorry to hear that happened. But, if you got agented before, it can probably happen again and you'll hopefully spot red flags a lot sooner the next time around, if you return to writing.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I totally get it. You've reached a certain point, it didn't go as hoped. Don't let it destroy your love for writing. Then they win. Instead, you bounce back even higher. Do more research this time. Here in Bewares is a great place to start. You are bitter. Deep down inside, all you want to do is better. And you will. Just give yourself time to heal from this. You search harder, work like you'd love to, like what writing will feel for you. Get that higher power into your writing. Get that deep bitterness and make a character out of it.

I promise you, if you give it another chance, remembering to do better research, you will be on your journey to a better experience. And bottom line, that's really all you want. And most definitely deserve. Go back to writing, and allow a better experience to happen. Satisfy your needs. Good luck to you. And I sincerely hope this bad experience isn't going to be your last.

Don't be bitter, be better!!!!!

Bitterboots

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience and hope you find your mojo again. Writing is hard enough without people who are meant to be advocates bailing on you. I hope you can heal and begin to look back with some pride that you believed in yourself enough to try.
And @Sage is 100% correct. Your post 's a valuable addition to the experiences of authors that us newbies need to be aware of, so thank you for sharing.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again everybody. I feel much less alone. :)

@Nether Since Bewares isn't the thriving place it used to be, there's nowhere really for authors for talk about this stuff publicly. It's amazing that once I finally voiced the smallest hint of satisfaction, I had so many people in my Twitter DMs talking about their BookEnds experiences. Even my agent sibling - we'd been talking regularly for well over a year but neither of us said anything critical of our shared agent. When I said I was thinking of leaving, she shared that she was having the exact same issues. I had clients of another BookEnds agent talking about their problems, which showed a pattern. But I wasn't going to be the one to take it from DMs to public Twitter and take all the shit from it.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Since Bewares isn't the thriving place it used to be, there's nowhere really for authors for talk about this stuff publicly.

IME there’s also the fear of being blackballed, and the very natural tendency to blame ourselves. There’s also often resistance from those still seeking their first trade deal to believing such experiences are frequent enough to worry about.

Lemon3

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing, @Earthling. I'm so sorry this happened. I assume there was a contract so you couldn't leave the agency? I have never submitted anything to any agency so I'm trying to learn.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing, @Earthling. I'm so sorry this happened. I assume there was a contract so you couldn't leave the agency? I have never submitted anything to any agency so I'm trying to learn.
Generally you will sign a contract with an agency but it doesn't prevent you leaving. It will usually give a notice period (30 days or so) to allow the agent to tie things up, and it will also say if the agent sells your book during the contract period she will still be entitled to the commission etc. Likewise the agent can give you notice that she will no longer be representing you.

Golak

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing your experience with us Earthling. I'm just beginning to query, and this would be my first novel in English, so your post really helped me be better prepared.

I'm sorry this has happened to you. I've heard so many stories about agencies and agents that have shattered the confidence of a writer, and all I can say that it's them and not you.
I hope all is well with you now.

Reactions: Maryn