Hello!

Kirkhammer

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a writer in North America. I write science-fiction and fantasy, though I like to play with genre and do all kinds of things. I haven't had anything published, but that's the dream, right? I prefer writing novels, but I've done flash fiction and short stories before.

I'm a classic Tolkien fan, but I recently read Book of the New Sun, and it swiftly became one of my favorites. I've got a building backlog to go through, currently reading The Man in the High Castle. I like to think having a breadth of reading material can not only let me appreciate more forms of storytelling, but make me more rounded as a writer. I also enjoy video games! As you can tell by my avatar, I tend to like From Software games.

I came here for critique partners, but I appreciate this forum's vetting process, and am looking forward to supporting my fellow storytellers here!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, Kirkhammer! It's great to meet you :)

You've landed at exactly the right writing place. There's more info here re all things writing and publishing than you can shake a stick (or a sword) at, and an awesome community to engage with, including a large band of SFF writers. You'll find a lot of them hanging out here.

AW is a great critique place, too. What sets it apart from many others I've encountered is that it's free! However, we do have, as you already know, a 50-post requirement before a person can start a critique thread or a thread asking for beta readers. This is to encourage meaningful community engagement and also ensures that you'll get the best out of the place, as folks are more likely to set aside time to critique you if they see that you're active around the forums. However, while you can't start a crit thread until you get to 50 posts, you can certainly still offer critique and advice within crit threads. In fact, I'd really recommend doing this. Not only will that help others get to know you, you may well find the objectivity of giving critique will improve your own writing far more than getting critique does (that's certainly the case for me).

I'd also recommend carefully reading the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered. Too, read the stickies in each room. That will help you get a feel for the culture of each place. Because AW is so large it can be easy to get lost at first but if you take your time to explore and acclimate you won't regret it, I'm sure.

Lurk a bit, join in conversations you find interesting, jump in to open critique threads with your insights (even if you feel qualified to offer only 'I really enjoyed how you did this'; you'll gain confidence to give more detailed crit in no time), make friends, have fun!

See you around the boards :D
Izz

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It looks to me like you have found your people. We have a vibrant fantasy and science fiction community within the larger community. Welcome!

Maryn, vacuuming the welcome mat

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments. Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight! Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

jonxihama

Registered
Reaction score
Yay another SFF nerd! Welcome and do not forget your potions and elixirs.

Spencer Hinton

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a writer in North America. I write science-fiction and fantasy, though I like to play with genre and do all kinds of things. I haven't had anything published, but that's the dream, right? I prefer writing novels, but I've done flash fiction and short stories before.

I'm a classic Tolkien fan, but I recently read Book of the New Sun, and it swiftly became one of my favorites. I've got a building backlog to go through, currently reading The Man in the High Castle. I like to think having a breadth of reading material can not only let me appreciate more forms of storytelling, but make me more rounded as a writer. I also enjoy video games! As you can tell by my avatar, I tend to like From Software games.

I came here for critique partners, but I appreciate this forum's vetting process, and am looking forward to supporting my fellow storytellers here!
I love Tolkien! Not only the Lord of the Rings, but nearly every other book he wrote. And if you're looking for a critique partner, the thing I enjoy most after writing is looking at and helping critique other people's work. Excited to get to know your books and you yourself.