Ender's Game Movie

pandoricaopens

queen of procrasti-nation
Registered
Reaction score
So this is happening. It'll be starring Asa Butterfield (Hugo) as Ender. The cast actually seems pretty solid, but I don't think I like the idea of this book being turned into a movie.
As a friend on tumblr put it
They can’t do it right. They can’t. The most gut-wrenching part is that it’s these YOUNG children being trained for battle. And it’s SUCH a dystopia that child behavior is unrecognizable, and there is no child actor who can do that.
thoughts? comments? noises of anguish?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, it's reached this stage at least once before. I had Orson Scott Card on my Friends list at IMDb years ago, but he stopped coming around when the project tanked, I think in 2005 or 2006. They had some people committed at that point, too.

I'm not utterly mad about the book(s) like many fans are. I think it could work if the screenplay is excellent, the cast and director competent. Any idea who wrote or is writing it?

Maryn, curious but not invested

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I loved the book back in the day...but I wouldn't give that man (OSC) a fucking penny of my money.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
I loved the book back in the day...but I wouldn't give that man (OSC) a fucking penny of my money.
I second that sentiment.

Back in the back of the back in the day, two of his very early books, "Song Master" and "Hart's Hope", changed my life, but I'd cross a raging river just to push him in now.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm very excited about this. I think it's a go, personally. And with the success of The Hunger Games, dystopian setting with children battling one another has a place with audiences.

My thoughts are that if Card waited this long, he's on the same page as the powers that be. I'll give it a shot, definitely.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
^Yeah, that. I previously wouldn't have thought it'd be possible, but maybe...

However, I'm not too sure about it either. I loved the book--the whole series in fact--and I still think Card is a terrific writer. But I have the same hesitancy as Dianna about giving him any support now. Well, that, and I foresee a really ugly geek war if they get the movie wrong in any way.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, we had the really ugly (and petty, imho) geek war about the LOTR movies. People had such piss-yourself moments about it that I refused to read another thread about how the material was adapted. It's bad enough with Game of Thrones when you hear some a-hole complaining about Dany's fuggin' eyebrows and how that ruins everything in the whole series for them. I can only suggest that these people either smoke some pot or get a script for lithium.

I know Card is . . . . uh . . . eccentric and a big personality, but I still enjoy his writing. I mean, I didn't stop watching Mel Gibson films because he turned into a total assclown. The dude can still direct the F* out of a film. I'm sure we'll get that as well. People who have NOTHING at all to add but, "Card sucks!"

Uhh, okay. Thanks for your mind-blowing contribution, there guys. :)

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
I can't stand Card as a person, but I'll probably see the movie. I'm not a huge Ender's Game fan (I preferred Ender's Shadow), but I'm more excited to see this brought to the big screen than The Hunger Games. My only problem is that they'll probably make Ender an even bigger martyr on screen. The special effects will probably be good, though. I'll say it can be worse than the second Star Wars trilogy.
They can’t do it right. They can’t. The most gut-wrenching part is that it’s these YOUNG children being trained for battle. And it’s SUCH a dystopia that child behavior is unrecognizable, and there is no child actor who can do that.
I bet your friend hasn't watched Kick-Ass, or Interview With a Vampire, or Let the Right One In. Besides, Ender's Game isn't really a Dystopia.

Anyway, I think the only way this movie will work is if they cut the Peter/Valentine sub-plot, develop the kids quickly (and that means getting to Dragon Army within a reasonable time frame so Bean and the others get enough screentime), and I'd argue that the Bonzo scenes could either be so eye rolling-ly awful (or good) that they could make or break the movie, depending on the actor. I have faith in Asa Butterfield. He was pretty good in Hugo. More or less, I'm just worried about the writing. The directing will probably be pretty standard.

Last edited:

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Anyway, I think the only way this movie will work is if they cut the Peter/Valentine sub-plot, develop the kids quickly (and that means getting to Dragon Army within a reasonable time frame so Bean and the others get enough screentime), and I'd argue that the Bonzo scenes could either be so eye rolling-ly awful (or good) that they could make or break the movie, depending on the actor. I have faith in Asa Butterfield. He was pretty good in Hugo. More or less, I'm just worried about the writing. The directing will probably be pretty standard.

I think Asa Butterfield will be able to handle the role. But I'm also worried about the balancing act between getting to the conflict so things don't drag and developing the characters so that there's enough emotional involvement for the big finish.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I know Card is . . . . uh . . . eccentric and a big personality, but I still enjoy his writing. I mean, I didn't stop watching Mel Gibson films because he turned into a total assclown. The dude can still direct the F* out of a film. I'm sure we'll get that as well. People who have NOTHING at all to add but, "Card sucks!"

I actually try to do the same - divorce an artist's personal behaviour from his work, after all, just because I happen to know some artist's bad behaviour, doesn't mean the other artists I support don't also share said behaviour, they just might be better at keeping quiet about it. It's really tough to play judge when I might be inadvertently supporting other jackasses.

That being said, I had to flag this comment personally because I don't think "eccentric and a big personality" exactly represents what Card is. He is a homophobic bigot. Now he might be a brilliant artist (never read his work), but to translate his bigotry into eccentricity personally makes me uncomfortable.

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
If you were to tell me this was Anime and the actors just voice actors, I might think this could be done well.

Even if done in the Last Airbender cartoon style, I can see this.

Live action will fall on its face.

When a third of the book (I might be a little off here) takes place in the Battle Room environment, it will be difficult for them to simulate that in a normal environment. So that means either water tanks or capture motion blue screen, neither of which will feel authentic to me.

Personally, I think they should somehow try to merge Game and Shadow, since the books follow the same timeline. It might fulfill more expectations.

(Oh, and outside of the Ender series, can't stand Card's writings. Just don't resonate with me. so YMMV)

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
If they're doing it now, to cash in on 'Hunger Games' watch them age up the majority of the cast to take advantage of the YA market. (Oh, yeah, and so 'little kids in battle' doesn't seem so squicky) Also, if the trailers/ads show children, people who haven't read the books (ie most people) will think it's a 'kid's movie'.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
If they're doing it now, to cash in on 'Hunger Games' watch them age up the majority of the cast to take advantage of the YA market. (Oh, yeah, and so 'little kids in battle' doesn't seem so squicky) Also, if the trailers/ads show children, people who haven't read the books (ie most people) will think it's a 'kid's movie'.

I dunno. I think Ender's Game would sell regardless of The Hunger Games. Whether or not they're cashing in, I don't think it would effect their sales. They're completely different ideas and Ender's Game has had time to get a devoted older following who's been waiting for this movie for decades. If they pull this off well, they could be looking at the success of LoTR, rather than Eragon.

The only thing they have in common in that they feature kids fighting each other. One has a military/sci-fi feel with pretend games and aliens. The other is about a death match in an arena with a teen girl lead. And, looking at the cast, unlike the Hunger Games, they've picked actors who're actually around the age of the characters. And they've got Harrison Ford, who's already seen success in sci-fi/action movies.

It'd be pretty much impossible to advertise the movie without showing kids in the ads. It's also kind of a kids movie. I mean, I read the book when I was nine/ten. It's taught in middle school and it's categorized as YA by most libraries.

As for merging Game and Shadow, I don't know if that could be done. I found Bean's story more fascinating, but merging that with Ender's would be difficult. Bean's has a lot more backstory and sub-plots that would detract from Ender's, and leaving any of it out would just make the story really confusing for anyone who hasn't read the book. It'd end up like the Harry Potter movies after #4. And since Bean doesn't go evil, I don't really see the point in showing an alternate view point to battle school.

An anime production would be fun, but I don't know, I have confidence in this project. If they pull it off like the effects in The Matrix, or AI, or Minority Report, or The Chronicles or Riddick, or even Alien Resurrection, it could be pretty badass. Minimizing the battleroom sequences, which, tbh, I thought were pretty boring in the book, could work too. The only battles they really need to show are the training sequences with Alai and Petra, the battle that Ender disobeys Bonzo in, the battle with Rat Army, and one or two Dragon Army battles. I just hope they eliminate the naked little boys.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score

Interesting suggestions. I loved the Valentine/Peter plots and if they are planning on doing a sequel, both Valentine and Peter play bigger roles. That said, I don't see how sequels could possibly translate to screen. This would have almost made a better series (HBO/Showtime level of quality). Then you could account for Ender's Shadow as well and show Bean's side of things.

But, I can't help but agree with you. If this will be a standalone w/o potential for a sequel, they should probably cut the V/Peter stuff. As interesting as it was and as funny as it was (two kids all but mocking the media), it would take too much away from where the "heat" of the story really is--with Ender in battle school.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I actually try to do the same - divorce an artist's personal behaviour from his work, after all, just because I happen to know some artist's bad behaviour, doesn't mean the other artists I support don't also share said behaviour, they just might be better at keeping quiet about it. It's really tough to play judge when I might be inadvertently supporting other jackasses.

That being said, I had to flag this comment personally because I don't think "eccentric and a big personality" exactly represents what Card is. He is a homophobic bigot. Now he might be a brilliant artist (never read his work), but to translate his bigotry into eccentricity personally makes me uncomfortable.

Yeah, my description isn't even close, lol! I was trying to be very diplomatic. I wonder if some of this stuff will come out in the media (in a bigger way) as the movie nears post-production. I can see a lot of people wanting to boycott the movie because of that.

And I agree. I almost gave up on poor Mel, but I had to admit that he has a wonderful eye for directing. Same with Woody Allen. I think he's a sick sick man, but the guy knows what he's doing. I too wonder how many freaks and deviants are out there in Hollywood that we DON'T know about yet we sit and eat their work up.

It's a hard call, but one I think everyone has to make for themselves.

As for going animated---if it was straight-up animation, it would have to have a PG or PG-13 rating. And, there are far too many stupid parents in the world who think that just because something is animated, it must be rated G.

On the anime possibility, that's the only format in which I'd pass on it completely.

sailor

still new
Registered
Reaction score
I just looked at the Imdb page and Abigail Breslin is slated to play Valentine with Jimmy Pinchak for Peter. I think that means the subplot stays.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I just looked at the Imdb page and Abigail Breslin is slated to play Valentine with Jimmy Pinchak for Peter. I think that means the subplot stays.

Hmmmm. Maybe it will be toned down? The media manipulation doesn't seem important to the book, Ender's Game (so much) as it does to later books in the series. It will be interesting to see.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Not necessarily--it just means those characters will be in the movie somewhere. The subplot may or may not be part of the shooting script. Anything's still possible.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
I love Ender Game, but I'm also wondering if this would do better as a TV series or anime. It would give them more room to flesh out the subplots and Bean's plot. An HBO series like GoT would be awesome. And I think in the anime world it is understood that children in the show =/= show is for children.

sailor

still new
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmm. Maybe it will be toned down? The media manipulation doesn't seem important to the book, Ender's Game (so much) as it does to later books in the series. It will be interesting to see.

Not necessarily--it just means those characters will be in the movie somewhere. The subplot may or may not be part of the shooting script. Anything's still possible.

It's been quite a few years since I read the book. I'm saying the subplot will stay based on Breslin. This is probably idiotic and shows how naive I may be about how film production works. Looking at the cast, hers was one of the few names I recognized right off. That makes me think that they aren't going to minimize her appearance on screen. Which means my naivete is showing through.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

You're welcome, my snarky friend.

Orson Scott Card wants me gone from this planet. He spends his money trying to take away my rights. Me, not wanting to help him, seems reasonable, he is welcome to stay on the planet as far as I'm concerned.

I see that as a difference between Mel Gibson, who has said some unpleasant things, which sincere or not, he has apologized, and OSC who remains steadfast in his hatred of me and those like me.

I loved Ender's Game. Loved it. I liked Speaker For the Dead. After that he lost me, and it was before I discovered what a complete fucking creep the guy was.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com

I didn't care about the media manipulation, but I liked the fact that Ender combines Peter's ruthlessness with Valentine's compassion - and then there was the game which showed him he needed to accept his dark side rather than trying to suppress it.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome, my snarky friend.

Orson Scott Card wants me gone from this planet. He spends his money trying to take away my rights. Me, not wanting to help him, seems reasonable, he is welcome to stay on the planet as far as I'm concerned.

I see that as a difference between Mel Gibson, who has said some unpleasant things, which sincere or not, he has apologized, and OSC who remains steadfast in his hatred of me and those like me.

I loved Ender's Game. Loved it. I liked Speaker For the Dead. After that he lost me, and it was before I discovered what a complete fucking creep the guy was.

(spank!)

I totally get it. I wish he wasn't a raging poo-eater about some stuff. I really think it might bite him (and the movie) in the butt once word gets out that he's super homophobic.

neilkant

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.neilvkidd.com
Wow, I had no idea about the OSC controversies, I just read about his comments and that Hamlet rewrite. It's surprising that someone so foolish has trouble writing fools.

I felt like part of the allure of the action in EG was visualizing the spacial complexity of some of the maneuvers. If they can't convey that sense of abstract thinking within the battles I have a feeling I'll walk out feeling hollow.

Peter is such a driving force for Ender, but his work is so subtle in the book. They would likely have to give him a more direct hand in what's happening. That or they make a "Bugger king", which I would hate.

Some say a movie is as good as it's main antagonist, so I wonder who that'd be.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Popping in to say....I love Ender's Game. :love: Loved it. I'm not a fan of OSC's beliefs but I love at least his first book, and I really enjoy his Russian fantasy ENCHANTMENT (anyone read that?)

I'm pretty excited for the film. It's been optioned for over a decade, so it's kind of finally time :)

My favorite characters are Peter and Valentine now, but as a kid, Ender, Ender, Ender. I'd be sad to see the P/V subplot go, and I wonder how they'll incorporate it into the film - if at all.

Like @neilkant says, it'd be disappointing if Peter turned into a "Bugger king" for the film or something like that.

I'm really interested in seeing the film because of the stellar cast - Asa Butterfield (Hugo), Harrison Ford, Abigail Breslin (who I loved in Little Miss Sunshine :)) and Viola Davis (from the Help).

Is it November 2013 yet??