RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
The thing with Oliver losing his arm struck me as an Easter Egg for Dark Knight fans.

I think most of the point of the episode was to give Sara and to a lesser extent Ray a reason to return, a sense that they would matter and might be able to prevent this from happening. I also suspect that they were telling Arrow fans in an oblique fashion that no William is not going to be Connor Hawke.

But probably the most interesting aspects characterwise were the changes visible in Captain Cold and Heat Wave. Ironically, they missed out on the best possible heist they could have made: the Smoak warehouse. They could have stolen and brought back tech well beyond 2016, since they would have been ripping off the results of Felicity and Curtis' combined genius.

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
Well, if it helps with the head canon, Kid Deathstroke may have been lying about the arm.

What I don't buy is Oliver just giving up and retreating after that. Especially since he did stay in shape (pretty good instant butt-kicking for a 60-year old) and had a perfectly functional prosthetic arm in the arrowcave. (I'd have been fine with the crossbow, btw.) Okay, no Felicity to talk him back into the fight. Still.

Also, when the Green Arrow forst shows up and everybody keeps assuming it's Oliver (again, at approximately 60 years): Those time travelers sure have a bad grasp on the whole concept of "30 years later"

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
Anybody else find it odd that we go from "None of you were found to have any significant impact on the timeline" to "if we get you back to your proper time this can be prevented"? I'm guessing Rory was lying through his teeth in order to get Sara to leave?

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody else find it odd that we go from "None of you were found to have any significant impact on the timeline" to "if we get you back to your proper time this can be prevented"? I'm guessing Rory was lying through his teeth in order to get Sara to leave?

Yeah, considering that Hawkgirl, Atom, Firestorm, and yes, Captain Cold are all genuine Justice Leaguers in the comics, I would assume our friendly neighborhood Time Master was lying.

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you guys are enjoying this but I can't take any more. I like a good sf show, but this, imho, is poorly written, amateurish, drivel. Hey, no offense, just my opinion. If you enjoy this then all the best to you. :flag:

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you guys are enjoying this but I can't take any more. I like a good sf show, but this, imho, is poorly written, amateurish, drivel. Hey, no offense, just my opinion. If you enjoy this then all the best to you. :flag:

The show is absolutely stupid. And I love it. I'm not at all sure why. Oh yeah, it's Doctor Who with superheros with a healthy dose of self-deprecation, meta-consciousness, respect for the source material (even the stolen stuff), crazy action, nerdy pop-culture references, and that neo-camp that The Flash pioneered so well.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
The space/time pirate caper was absolutely adorable. I never thought I'd use that word for a superhero show, but it's the only one that fits.

Ray the Trekkie and Professor space-ranger were too cute.

This show has found its groove, and that groove is to exist as a live-action cartoon. Once you accept that, it's pure fun.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
The show is absolutely stupid. And I love it. I'm not at all sure why. Oh yeah, it's Doctor Who with superheros with a healthy dose of self-deprecation, meta-consciousness, respect for the source material (even the stolen stuff), crazy action, nerdy pop-culture references, and that neo-camp that The Flash pioneered so well.

It is. It is so dumb. It's popcorn. It's comic books. It is supremely silly (and the physics and science gobbledygook makes even our children groan) and I enjoy it tremendously.

I was cheered to see Professor Stein get to do some heroics on his own, even if much of it was offstage. Yay, old guy!

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I lost interest fast. However, if the show is starting to embrace its "comic-bookiness," I may have to give it another look.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting reveal with the identity of Chronos, but I would have liked to have seen it stretched over a couple of episodes before they captured him.

The Ra's al Ghoul of 1960 seemed a bit less insane than the Ra's of 2015, at least in the way he handled Sara. But could she not have added another message on top of the one about Nyssa? "DO NOT TRUST MALCOLM MERLYN AND ESPECIALLY DO NOT TRAIN HIM IN HOW TO BECOME AN ASSASSIN. EVER. AT ALL. KILL HIM ON SIGHT AND THEN TWICE MORE."

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I love the silliness. This is a show that has absolutely zero internal logic. They know they're changing the timeline left and right (yet somehow the future stays intact enough for the Time Lords Time Masters to send multiple hunters into the timestream to stop them at every turn.

First, it's Chronos, then it's the Hunters, and now we've got the Pilgrim. (Ten bucks says after the Pilgrim, we get the Saviors and The Whisperers.) None of these "sworn to uphold time" folks ever seem to mind that the inhabitants of multiple timelines have seen them and their tech, or that the same folks are caught in the cross-fire of their bounty hunting. They could just as easily shoot Madam Curie as White Canary, and they don't seem to have much remorse about it.

Rip and company already know for a fact that they've moved up the release of a worldwide pandemic, which in theory should have had exponential aftershocks for the future, considering people who survived in the original timeline might have been so young as to die in the new one, or have their parents die while they were minors, suddenly changing the course of their adolescence.

This is a turn your brain off, cartoon violence of a show. Pure fun with an occasional dose of something, something hawk people, something something immortal tyrant, something something mission - whatever, just show me another away mission with Cold, Heat and canary, already.

Horrible waste of Jonah Hex, though.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, my DVR seems to have messed up, and I missed an episode or two, so I'm a bit confused about the Chronos mention by Rory in that Wild West episode.

I really enjoyed this show for the most part before this point, but I felt this Wild West episode was annoying and confusing. I mean, didn't Rip Hunter say to be careful about altering the past (especially with future tech and stuff) a long while back?

And yet, in this episode, the characters are doing things like healing with more advanced medicine and killing a gang leader, etc. Wouldn't all of this create some new parallel futures, like it happened with that bleak Green Arrow Alternative Future episode?

I still love this show, but now I feel confused on what the rules are regarding time travel, parallel universes, and alterations to the various timelines, etc. It feels like there are no rules at this point?

(Reminds me of Inazuma Eleven Chrono Stone anime arc and video game, which are full of complete BS time travel rules and are historically inaccurate to the point of irritation for me, lol. Dinosaurs and humans coexisting? Joan of Arc had glasses? Dragons exist? WTF?)

Which is fine, because it can be all good cartoon/comic book silliness, and I'll love that, but maybe Rip Hunter should start shutting up about said non-existent rules at his point, lol.

Last edited:

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I'm up to date. Big robot.

Why didn't Ray use the blaster's sooner? Or shoot at the ground and trip it?

It's great fun, but my the daughter was convinced easily. I would have worked better if there had been some sign before they took her that she had doubts.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I was surprised she turned out to really be his kid.

Also the whole Kendra thing REALLLLLLLLY bugged me. I don't like the wishy-washyness they're putting into her character AT ALL.

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
Kendra's a great character, but the whole destiny thing with her and Carter is more of a character flaw than anything else.

About the new incarnation of Carter showing up... rather than 'fix' him, wouldn't it be better for everybody including him if they just kept him oblivious? Seriously, he's not her soulmate, he's her krypronite. (Also, wouldn't there be a Hawkgirl in that era for him to be destined to be with?)

I'd have expected the daughter to be more ... brainwashed. Like Savage's ward a couple of episodes ago. But okay, I'll take it for the sheer joy of Snart being the one to convince her. And let's face it - it's one of the minor things one has to whistle past in this show. For starters, how bad these guys are at time travel.

Loved the robots fight, despite some... kinetic wonkiness. Ground-level perspective was a great choice.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
What was the line? "Killer, Clepto, and Pyro"? That has to be the name of the spinoff that Canary, Captain Cold, and Heatwave better get. Because damn, I love them.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Okay, sound off. Favorite character? My vote goes to Captain Cold. Partially because of the actor, I'll admit, but also because I love the villain turned reluctant hero.