• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Beta Feedback, Ignore or Incorporate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*Your characters should be women. Isn't it fun to think about?
*What is an RC Cola? No one knows what this is.
*What is a 5&10 store? No one knows what this is.
*Plastic can't acquire mildew and the color does not fade. (In response to statement that a small plastic coin bank left on a porch faded in the sun and grew mildew in the damp.)
*There's no such thing as a bar that is open for 14 hours a day.
*I've never heard of mainstream fiction. (Claims a Master's in literature.)

Having drunk a RC Cola bought at the five and dime, had everything mildew here in Florida, finished my Master's final in a bar that's open 24 hours a day and read mainstream fiction long before I got a Master's, I'd say you need a new Facebook group. :)

Write to your audience, pick beta readers who represent that audience.

Jeff

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
That said - I think we all need to be cautious about writing what is going on inside an opposite sex (to us) head. Maybe keep inside the heads of your sex characters, and just observe the opposite sex through that lens.

Erm...

What?

Just ... no.

Also, OP, I'm Australian and even I know what a "five and dime" is. I can work out "5&10" by context, especially with the word "store" attached. And no dramas at all with RC Cola.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
What the zebra inna hat said.

Five & dime stores are so entrenched in popular culture that even we know about them. Unfortunately, the first example that springs to mind is Bryan Adams' 'Summer of '69', so now I've got an earworm, thank you very much.

My only hope is that everyone else now has the same earworm affliction.

:rant:

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
That said - I think we all need to be cautious about writing what is going on inside an opposite sex (to us) head. Maybe keep inside the heads of your sex characters, and just observe the opposite sex through that lens.
WOW. This is not only mansplaining on testosterone, but possibly the worst writing advice I've ever come across.

I never go inside a female characters head - I doubt I could find my way out again.
This offends me on pretty much every level, and in several universes. Women aren't aliens, yanno. Okay, bad example. But jeez. We're people.

When I write of women, I know what I want them to be feeling but write it from a male character's POV - THEN run it by my wife.
Because YOUR WIFE is representative of all women? Because we're all the same? My eyes are rolling so far back I'm staring at my frontal lobe.

FFS.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Just remember, you don't have to take and use everything a beta gives you :) Generally, I find myself using anywhere between 50-75% of beta comments. I tend to have three categories I put them into:

1) DAGNABIT, s/he's right! But I'm still going to snarl about it for three days before I change it. Or try to fix the giant gaping plot hole. (If a beta has me cursing them, that's usually a good thing.)

2) Hmm. Not sure about this one. Maybe? Not quite sure how I'd fix it. But So and So also said something similar. (This is where I let the plot bunny chew on a carrot for a while, then start testing fixes).

3) Nope nope nope. Totally against character / I don't kill pets / etc. (This is a clear gut reaction where I know it's off to the story I want to tell, and sometimes it's the beta's own readerly/writerly bias creeping in.)

In all of the above scenarios, I trust my gut. #2 are the most interesting situations for me to fix, as they can turn out to be either really good...or I have to go through a couple of "welp, now you broke it" moments wherein I backtrack and try again.

Also, not to touch on the incendiary comments too much here re: writing other genders, but people are people. Write the character you need to tell the story. If that's a different gender than you identify with, so be it. If you're worried that you're a little off in the portrayal of a different gender, then get a couple of betas to weigh in. That can help - I've done it. But to say writing the opposite gender is a no-fly zone? M'yeah. See my #3 reaction above. (Also, tell that to the numerous authors who are wildly successful at doing that.)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I think this is a great place to stop.

Really glad to know that writers should stay within their own sex in terms of viewpoint characters. Guess that's why Shakespeare's women are so dreadful [sic].

Status
Not open for further replies.