Agent requested a Full, now what?

MrPinot

Registered
Reaction score
I went to a writer's conference last weekend and the agent I had a pitch with like the concept and asked for a Full Read, which is great. But now what?

This could lead to a quick response, good or bad. But it could also lead to weeks of waiting, just like with any query. What's the standard amount of time I should wait before sending a nudge?

Also, my last round of query letters was two months ago (all passed or ghosted), so I was planning to redo the query letter and send out another round. Should I hold off, give this agent a few weeks to respond, then nudge before querying anyone else? Or go ahead and move forward to increase the odds.

Thanks!

Reactions: kaitie

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Unless asked otherwise, I would treat this no different than a full that was requested from a query. If you were planning on editing your query and going for another round, then do that. Check the full agent's timeline if they have one somewhere and prod when told to. If not, I'd say two months of silence is probably reasonable for a nudge. A full is good, but it's not an acceptance. Unless an agent requests exclusivity, keep moving forward.

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Two months on a full isn't very long. When I subbed my horror novel I was told 12 to 16 weeks (it's been almost 8 months) and sometimes they can take six months or more.

Send your full like you were asked and worry about the rest of it later. I think you're putting the cart before the horse.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Sub the full if you are happy with it. :) Congrats! You might still be ghosted on the full, be warned.

And also rework your query and opening pages, since you need something to pass the time. :)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
What they said.
Also - write something else. If the agent is considering signing you they will want to hear that you have further books planned

Last edited: