• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Dystel, Goderich & Bourret, LLC (formerly Dystel & Goderich Lit. Mgmt.)

JJPie

Registered
Reaction score
Ha ha, sorry! I'm thrilled, really. But like most writers, I've probably spent more time polishing the first quarter of my book than the rest. And I always figure I'll have time to repolish the rest when I'm waiting for the partial results. So now I'm just trying to do another quick read/edit before I send it out "promptly" i.e., tonight.

And I guess I'm surprised since I didn't even have sample pages or anything.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
On the bright side, at least you didn't query an unfinished novel in the belief that nobody would ask for a full until you finished. Not that that ever happens, and when it does, it is definitely not hilarious. :tongue

Good luck. :Hug2:

JJPie

Registered
Reaction score
Well it took me a whole day to reedit but it's out. I ended up getting another full request hours later, so the editing paid off either way. Send me good karma!

Blind Writer

YA/MG Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodykeplinger.com
Still no responses from any of the agents I've queried. Even Michael Bourret, who is known for being a fast responder. I"m getting worried now.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Since you've heard nothing, why not give the standard 3 months, then a polite e-mail on "status of the project"? I've done this and it's considered businesslike and okay if you've heard squat and your submission is just sitting there, for all you know...

Blind Writer

YA/MG Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodykeplinger.com
I will if I haven't heard by then--hopefuly it won't be that long. It just worries me because Michael got back to my friends very fast with rejections, and it's been a few weeks. Hopefully that means i'm in the "Maybe I should reject this" pile.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
It could also mean your submission is in the "maybe I should ACCEPT this pile." You can't know 'til the fat lady sings...and she could be just warming up.

JJPie

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Cole. We'll see what happens.

JJPie

Registered
Reaction score
I've only ever received confirmation from Waxman Agency. I tend to just assume they don't want it and don't even nudge. Basically if they (whoever they are) can get back quickly to others, then surely to me also. But I'm cynical like that.

To Blind Writer: if it's been awhile, I don't see any harm in asking.

Blind Writer

YA/MG Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodykeplinger.com
It's been about three weeks, and everyone else who has queried Michael (that I've spoken to) has been responded to within a day or two.

Senora Verde

Teacher by day, YA writer by night
Registered
Reaction score
It's been about three weeks, and everyone else who has queried Michael (that I've spoken to) has been responded to within a day or two.

I queried Michael over two weeks ago and haven't heard anything.

My fear for a few agents is that their assistant creates a "maybe" pile that quickly turns into a "don't respond" pile when they get behind.

AyJay

Luv's Conscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewjpeterswrites.com
Blind Writer - we must be going after the same agencies, as I saw your posts in the Writer's House thread (re. Maya Rock) and I also have a query into D&G (to Jim McCarthy). I did get a rejection e-mail from Maya after a little over a week, but have still heard nothing from Jim (now 2 weeks)...so either both of our queries got lost or it's taking these folks a little longer to respond to some vs. others. Let's hope it's a good sign. ;-)

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score

When I queried Michael, I didn't hear from him for two months. I re-queried, and in just a few days, he requested a full. GOOD THING I RE-QUERIED! Though now it's been about four months with no reply on the full. Due time for a status check, I guess...

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
So I guess I should re-query him maybe? I just want a response from SOMEWHERE!

I would recommend giving it two months from the query date, like I did. He could just be busy. I'm sorry you're not getting replies -- I know how frustrating that is!

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck Poppy! Keep me updated on response times as I'm waiting also.
Okay. I queried Mr McCarthy yesterday, and I got a response today (whcih surprised me.) I'll send out my manuscript by the end of the week and then make sure to keep you posted on how long it takes for him to get back to me.

:hooray:

JJPie

Registered
Reaction score
Oh you're doing it by post? I just attached it on the e-mail. Cheaper that way...

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
Oh you're doing it by post? I just attached it on the e-mail. Cheaper that way...
No, I will be emailing. I just want the chance to look over my manuscript one last time before it goes out. Just to make sure it blows his socks off. :)