4-20 cover design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ergo

Chronic State of Query
Registered
Reaction score
I just published my fourth book and took a bit of a gamble with the cover design. The anemic sales performance gets me to wondering if potential readers are somewhat reluctant to have an image of marijuana on their coffee table. Am I overthinking this?

Thanks
Chuck

41jE3-M5yOL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Gramps

Endless imagination brings limitless nightmares
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting concept. I personally, would not go there, or GROW there. But, since I haven't read the book, or blurb, maybe it's okay.

It would depend on your target audience, but if you're trying to draw new people to your works, it would seem counter-productive to not make it as appealing as possible to the masses.

Reactions: starrystorm

CWNitz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pageturneredits.com
I can't tell whether your readers would be bothered by the photo. That's a problem because it means I can't tell who your readers are, and what the book is about.

The marijuana vending machine tells me quirky, bold, opinionated. The framed title with serif font and especially the italized "the" tells me formal, informative, precise. The framed photo tells me historical, serious, detailed. And I'm not sure if it's fiction or non-fiction.

What are your comps and your subgenre? I would start there to determine if the cover fits the audience and if the leaf is acceptable.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
One of our perennial* best sellers on Very Big Marketplace That Isn't Amazon is a (physical, print) book all about growing weed. People wanna do that! But they don't want Amazon to know lol so they buy it from somewhere else. Same thing with the Alcoholics Anonymous book. And the accompanying workbook. And coffee table books filled with artistic nudity. And the foot fetish coloring book (you color in pictures of feet).

You really have no idea what kind of crazy books are out there or just how many people buy them until you become a bookseller with a catalogue of tens of millions of titles lol. So, no, I don't think the issue is that people don't want a weed on their coffee table, or bedside table, or what have you. Cannabis is increasingly accepted in America (just look at all the states passing recreational!), either as the funny weed that gets you silly or the CBD gummies to help you get some sleep. The people who are staunchly against it either have no idea how it works or they materially benefit from the drug war, and those aren't the kinds of people you want to be around.

Of course, words matter. Are you using the word "marijuana" in your description? It was never a colloquial name for the plant but [one weaponized by politicians to make you think of Mexicans, and aren't they scary? Do you want a scary Mexican drug making your lovely perfect white children do crimes?] Which is why anyone who is interested in drug reform and the cannabis industry tries not to use that word. But it's not like there's a lack of names for pot out there.

*sadly cannabis is an annual so I can't make this into a good pun

alexp336

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alexpendragon.com
I wonder if it's not so much a "people don't want a picture of weed on their coffee table" as a lack of overall clarity? Honestly, when I looked at the photo I didn't even see the leaf in there at first; it was only when I read on that I went back and looked for it. I also assumed it was non-fiction as a result, since my brain didn't make the "oh, this is atypical" connection.

So, taking Chase's "people are bolder than we give them credit for" advice in mind, maybe you need to go in the opposite direction to what you're thinking now, and embiggen the weed?

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
I just think the cover could overall do with a little more... professional design. The picture of the cannabis gumball machine isn't terribly appealing, aesthetically speaking, and looks like the result of a 5 second google image search. Perhaps that's the point, but if I saw this book cover I would instantly think self pub, not much investment in the cover art, so potentially not a professionally edited product inside either. Sorry, I don't mean to sound harsh but I'm trying to give you some honest feedback about why your sales might not be where you want them to be.

The second issue is what CWNitz said - the cover doesn't tell me much about this book's genre. I know other information on the selling platform will help there, but just by looking at it I have no idea whether it's even fiction or non fiction. Cover design is pretty much all about marketing, and this isn't doing that job for you terribly well I'm afraid.

Fi Webster

May 21-25 waxing crescent 🌒
Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Texas originally, now living in Maryland (DC area)
Website
www.ipernity.com
Overall, the design is appealing (big cannabis fan since the 1960s here). But I'm puzzled by the brown things in the machine and scattered around. They look like... coffee beans? bugs? bits of dirt? I don't understand, from the image, what the gumball machine is supposed to dispense. And it isn't what I would call a vending machine, so I don't see how it illustrates the title.

Jean P. R. Dubois

The great dabbler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.acx.com
I'm a toker, have been for many years, but I wouldn't buy this book just looking at the cover. It tells me nothing about the substance of the book and, like others have said, it looks like they put together it in Photoshop after a 5 min google search. I really hope you didn't pay someone real money to do this for you. I'd be looking for a refund.
If we had a little more context we may be able to provide a better critique. Like is this about Pot Vendors? Is this based in or about the USA? Is it Fiction or a documentary?

Ergo

Chronic State of Query
Registered
Reaction score
Good points raised. I like the whimsical approach of being able to see the product, the 25 cent sticker and the embedded leaves. I believe they are eye-catching and thought provoking for potential readers. I am intrigued about FiWebsters reference to "coffee beans, bugs, dirt...scattered around the machine. I believe it to be evident (as supported by the leaves in the bowl) but would welcome more insight on this element.

Thank you,
Chuck

Last edited:

Ergo

Chronic State of Query
Registered
Reaction score
And it isn't what I would call a vending machine, so I don't see how it illustrates the title.
Gumball Vending Machine is indeed the appropriate title for a device that dispenses gumballs. As is the same for candy, peanuts or trinkets in little plastic containers. Granted the titles may have been truncated over time, but a brief google scan will validate the title.

Fi Webster

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ipernity.com
Good points raised. I like the whimsical approach of being able to see the product, the 25 cent sticker and the embedded leaves. I believe they are eye-catching and thought provoking for potential readers. I am intrigued about FiWebsters reference to "coffee beans, bugs, dirt...scattered around the machine. I believe it to be evident (as supported by the leaves in the bowl) but would welcome more insight on this element.

You say you "believe it to be evident" what the brown things are, Chuck, but you don't explain what they are supposed to represent. They sure as heck don't look like weed. They are much too small and uniform in size to be nugs. Nor is bud a nearly homogeneous dark brown in color. Even old dried-up shake (or leaf? who sells leaf these days? I haven't seen any since the 1970s, and I buy weed every few months) has a much more variable texture and a color that shades from undersaturated green to a much lighter brown. Those brown things are very close to the size, shape, and color of coffee beans. But texturally, they look more like topsoil.

Your blurb indicates this weed is sold in commercial packages of one-eighth-ounce each, not crumbled into tiny loose bits. I was puzzled by the size reference there as well, because the volume of an eighth is much too small a size for a package of fries. Let alone the notion of Brits using American money.

As for the phrase "vending machine," I was just reporting my own experience of the language. What's represented in the illo is a "gumball machine"—which wouldn't be able to take.twenty-dollar bills in its configuration as pictured. My knowledge since the 1950s of the phrase "vending machine" is of much larger rectilinear objects, like four to seven feet high, that dispense multiple brands of soda or packaged treats. I've lived or spent time in all 50 states, but not in the UK, where your story is presumably set. I have no idea what Brit speak for "vending machine" refers to.

Not trying to be harsh, just reporting my experience...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jean P. R. Dubois

CWNitz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pageturneredits.com
You have to keep in mind that, when you design your cover, what you want people to notice isn't the same as what sticks out. Also, people don't spend nearly as much time watching your cover as you do.

Designing a cover is similar to writing a book. You can perfect every little detail, but if the overall view doesn't support it, it won't work.

There's no problem with what you chose to represent on your photo. It's everything else that needs work.

One trick designers use to improve their covers is to squint to make the design blurry, so instead of focusing on the little things that you love (the idea of a vending machine, the sticker...) you see the cover the same way your readers do. With yours it looks like this:

Nouveau-projet-1.jpg

As you can see, at first glance, it's very square and rigid. Because of the low contrast and the small size, the product, sticker and everything else are not eye-catching. They fade into the background. That doesn't mean they're not interesting, it means they're not what potential readers notice. Readers notice: faded photo pasted over a dark green background, blocky title.

Which is why it's so important to start with your comps and subgenre. You need to identify the general shape and colors readers expect for your kind of books.

But that doesn't mean you need to let the gumball/leaf vending machine idea go. You can even keep this photograph (provided you own the rights) and fix it to make it look professional. It's like with writing: if people say your opening doesn't work, it doesn't mean your story is bad. It only means you need to work on the opening.

Ergo

Chronic State of Query
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight Fi Webster and CWNitz. Yes, modifications are in order. My wife (mainly her) and I designed the image so we have the rights in our back pocket. I had initially harvested immature "buds" from our ash tree, however as the work progressed on the device, the buds dried and took on the brownish hue. There was a point where they were nicely balanced with green and brown, we were just a bit tardy.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have to agree with Fi. (She'll like that--I don't always. :p ) I did notice and recognize the leaf, but still wondered why the gumball machine was dispensing coffee beans. I don't see bud or loam at all in this image.

I don't think the poor sales is due to people not wanting something suggesting approval of weed on their coffee tables. I think it's not a great cover. (Ow, ow, I'm sorry.) As others have said, it doesn't suggest any particular content to the reader. I know from your other posts it's a work of fiction, and is likely to be a fun read, bu this doesn't tell the reader any of that.

It bothered me mightily that the old-timey machine is sitting on a cloth which in turn appears to be on a table. This type of dispenser is always either on a post (95% of the time) or, at newer travel plazas, bolted to a counter surface beside many other identical machines. You don't want the potential reader thinking, Why doesn't somebody just pick it up and take it?

If you have to explain your cover image and what it contains, then it's not working. Sorry, but I don't see either eye-catching or thought-provoking in this cover. It looks like an amateur designed it and doesn't compare to the graphics of other covers. (As seen in your post, it appears blurry on my laptop screen, but I'm assuming it's sharp at the points of sale.)

Further hard truths: Readers don't care if that machine's official name is "gumball vending machine." When people think of vending machines, that's not what they mean. If you're considering a change in cover, that's the time to also change the title.

Maryn, happy to brainstorm titles if you choose to do that

Ergo

Chronic State of Query
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn. Ouch. Yes. But very much on target.

Thanks for taking the time to share your wise insight.

Chuck

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
You have to keep in mind that, when you design your cover, what you want people to notice isn't the same as what sticks out. Also, people don't spend nearly as much time watching your cover as you do.

Designing a cover is similar to writing a book. You can perfect every little detail, but if the overall view doesn't support it, it won't work.

There's no problem with what you chose to represent on your photo. It's everything else that needs work.

One trick designers use to improve their covers is to squint to make the design blurry, so instead of focusing on the little things that you love (the idea of a vending machine, the sticker...) you see the cover the same way your readers do. With yours it looks like this:

Nouveau-projet-1.jpg

As you can see, at first glance, it's very square and rigid. Because of the low contrast and the small size, the product, sticker and everything else are not eye-catching. They fade into the background. That doesn't mean they're not interesting, it means they're not what potential readers notice. Readers notice: faded photo pasted over a dark green background, blocky title.

Which is why it's so important to start with your comps and subgenre. You need to identify the general shape and colors readers expect for your kind of books.

But that doesn't mean you need to let the gumball/leaf vending machine idea go. You can even keep this photograph (provided you own the rights) and fix it to make it look professional. It's like with writing: if people say your opening doesn't work, it doesn't mean your story is bad. It only means you need to work on the opening.
I love this trick. I do similar when I throw stuff on my screen and then get up and walk away to view it from across the room. My mom was taught (commercial design school in the 70s) to hold stuff up to a mirror, because you'd notice stuff that way, too.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn. Ouch. Yes. But very much on target.

Thanks for taking the time to share your wise insight.

Chuck
I'm glad you aren't too wounded to speak. I always worry what's intended to help might just cause bleeding.

Jean P. R. Dubois

The great dabbler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.acx.com
I mean, you have had some pretty consistent advice from several different people so I don't think the criticisms are just a matter of personal taste. I can see you are married (literally!) to the cover art and at the end of the day it's your choice since this is a self-published book. Do what you think is best for your vision.

Fi Webster

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ipernity.com
Thanks for the insight Fi Webster and CWNitz. Yes, modifications are in order. My wife (mainly her) and I designed the image so we have the rights in our back pocket. I had initially harvested immature "buds" from our ash tree, however as the work progressed on the device, the buds dried and took on the brownish hue. There was a point where they were nicely balanced with green and brown, we were just a bit tardy.

Ash tree buds? Color me even more puzzled. Ash (genus Fraxinus) is in Oleaceae, the same family as olive and lilac. Not even closely related to Cannabis, so the buds would bear not even the slightest resemblance. I showed your illo to my botanist husband: he said, "Those are rabbit pellets."

I encourage you to familiarize yourself with what nugs look like. Nugs, variable in size and usually much larger than coffee beans, are the botanical bits that bud separates into if you spread it out on the counter.

While I'm being picky (sorry) I was also perplexed by this phrase in your blurb: "baggie of euphoria." Some strains of weed cause people to be happy, but by no means all. Endocannabinoid receptors are quite distinct from those for endorphins, dopamine, and anandamine—all three of which are more much more identified with euphoria. If you read reviews of cannabis strains on Leafly, you'll see that euphoria is only one of a dozen possible effects. And there's tons of individual variation as well: I know several people who say they're never made euphoric by weed. The euphoric effect tends to wane with increasing age of the user and familiarity with the multiple effects of THC and the various terpenes. (Differences between different strains are mostly due to terpenes, not THC.)

Last edited:

Jean P. R. Dubois

The great dabbler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.acx.com
Sorry, the last comment I'll leave on this. Pot vending machines DO exist. The brand is called Zazzz and this is what people think when they hear "Vending Machine".

140512163655-vending-machine-innovation-marijuana-1024x576.png

Also, I have to agree with Fi, whatever you have in the gumball machine looks nothing like pot. It would have looked better if you had used grass flocking.

il_1588xN.2465612034_aoof.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Fi Webster

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa. Jean, those images are, like, multiples of the maximum size we can host. Please resize them, switch to offsite links, or delete them.

Here's the size we can accommodate, 400x 400 pixels.

B8EnJr6.jpg

Thanks in advance. We still have many members who pay for data, and large images eat it up. (By the way, I see these are hot-linked, too, which creates problems for us.)

Maryn, in her official capacity

Last edited:

Jean P. R. Dubois

The great dabbler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.acx.com
Whoa. Jean, those images are, like, multiples of the maximum size we can host. Please resize them, switch to offsite links, or delete them.

Here's the size we can accommodate, 400x 400 pixels.

B8EnJr6.jpg

Thanks in advance. We still have many members who pay for data, and large images eat it up. (By the way, I hope these aren't hot-linked.)
My apologies! I think it's been corrected. If not, please delete that comment and this one.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It looks like you did it perfectly. Fast, too. Much appreciated.

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.