Note from a mostly impartial onlooker.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
If you've found this forum and you either have a book with PublishAmerica, or else you are considering using PublishAmerica, and you've found the contents of this forum offensive, overwhelming, or unbelievable, please consider this: the people here, making these statements, have no vested interest in stopping PA from selling books, or from preventing PA from accepting manuscripts.

This watchdog effort is voluntary, which means enough people have taken issue with PublishAmerica that they've managed to fill up tens of thousands of posts, as well as the first dozen or so google pages with negative feedback.

Even if all of this negative feedback was exaggerated or untrue, the sheer number of completely unrelated people, saying the same thing over and over again, should be a clear-cut warning sign.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Before signing with any publisher, ask:

1. What will the retail price of my book be (and would you pay that price for a book -- is it competitive)?
2. Will my book be edited (not simply run through a spell checker)?
3. Can I talk with a real person if I have a question or concern or is all correspondence through a form on a website?
4. What kind of reputation does the publisher have?
5. What does Preditors and Editors have to say about the publisher?
6. Where will the book be available (bookstores, online, WalMart)?

Don't be afraid to ask questions and then make sure you receive an answer (not double talk or evasive answers).

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Most important test of all:

Can you find this publisher's books on a shelf in your neighborhood bookstore? If not, ask yourself why.

I mean, not ALL books will be on a shelf. But, as Unca Jim says "Start at the top and work your way down."

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Ask to speak to the manager of your local Barnes and Noble, Borders (or whatever chain you have near you), then ask that manager their chain's opinion of your prospective publisher. Ask them if you publish a book through [publisher's name] will they allow you to have a book signing in the store.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Ask to speak to the manager of your local Barnes and Noble, Borders (or whatever chain you have near you), then ask that manager their chain's opinion of your prospective publisher.
What? That's like asking an editor their opinion of an agent, or asking a publisher for their real opinion of an author they publish: they probably do have an opinion, but it would be indiscreet of them to go public with it.
Ask them if you publish a book through [publisher's name] will they allow you to have a book signing in the store.
They ought not answer that one either. Not every book by every publisher gets picked up by every chain. If they work for B&N, and B&N doesn't pick up your book, they're not going to want to sponsor a signing.

The measure of a real publisher isn't whether a store will allow a signing of one of their books. We use that as a metric for judging PA because it demonstrates just how thoroughly non-real they are, and how impossible it is for a lone author to get placement for and promote their book on their own.

The central question is whether a publisher gets real distribution. Go to a nice big bookstore, find the section where your book would get shelved, and check to see which publishers' titles show up there. Shelf displays, shelf extenders, and premium placement aren't required, but they're a big plus.

Last edited:

jensoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.athenagrayson.com
You can ask at your local bookstore if they're able to get that publisher's books into the store as stock--in fact, it's something I now do with every pub I'm considering. It doesn't have to be a deal-breaker for you, but it will give you the chance to manage your expectations to where they are realistic. B&N nowadays has a standing order from corporate to not stock any books that aren't listed as "returnable" from their distributors. Your local manager may be able to get books for you for a signing on an individual basis, but s/he may not be able to, either. This is good, solid information to have when you're picking out a publisher--if B&N can't stock your books then you know any promo efforts aimed towards them will be a waste, at the very least.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
What? That's like asking an editor their opinion of an agent, or asking a publisher for their real opinion of an author they publish: they probably do have an opinion, but it would be indiscreet of them to go public with it.

You have every right to ask if your book will be available on the store shelves once it's published through a particular publisher. And if a publisher is one that isn't stocked by the company, you have a right to know that to. It's not indiscreet to tell someone company policy.

They ought not answer that one either. Not every book by every publisher gets picked up by every chain. If they work for B&N, and B&N doesn't pick up your book, they're not going to want to sponsor a signing.

Of course they'll answer it. Same as they'll say "no" if they ask you who your publisher is and you tell them the name of POD that doesn't allow them to return books. It's the same information.

Which publishers do and don't have good reputations isn't some highly guarded state secret. Anyone who wants to know can pretty much find out on-line, those who want to hear it straight from the companies themselves can go that route. Any manager should be willing to cite company policy on any customer request.