• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Curiosity Quills Press

Cel_Fleur

Braving the query mountains
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Mar 10, 2014
Messages
144
Reaction score
1
Location
England
Good, it does sound like they've cleared up a lot of the issues they were having in the 2012/13 era.

As for writers as acquisitions, I can't say I can give much unbiased opinion on that. After submitting to Anthony from a Pitcharama partial request, I got a no from Katie Teller in September last year, but she made some nice feedback. She does a lot of self-publicity for her NA historical series published by CQ, but by the looks of it, they're selling. I'm no expert, though, so I'm gonna stop there.

I later submitted after a request from Alison from PitchMAS (I think); alas, turned into a no due to 'a marketing decision', but my overall experience with CQ has been really positive and, just in a personal air, I like their approach. As the discussion was in the thread, I think a decision to sign with CQ comes down to personal ambitions and aims more than anything. If I query again, it would be with my off-beat historical mystery - because that's the vibe I get from the company: off-beat (and take that however you will).

I bought a book by one of their authors and it reads well edited and enjoyable. I know that's really not saying much for as a whole, but, as a reader, I'd buy a book published from them again.

~Fleur
 

Undercover

I got it covered
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Mar 1, 2010
Messages
10,488
Reaction score
2,198
Location
Not here, but there
Congrats, Man!!! I'm still waiting to hear back. Yeah, I like them a lot too. I nudged them and they quickly got back to me and said they still have yet to look at it. That was about a month and a half ago. It's been on submission since January so I'm confident they will at least get back to me with a yes or no. or an r&r possibly too. I'm willing to change and bend on it. I see their covers are attractive looking and I've heard lots of good things about them. They have their coming soon books on NetGalley and I see them doing good there. Also they get talked about on Goodreads a lot too (all good things.)

So I'm eager to hear the verdict. Congrats again!!! How exciting!!! I love knowing writers that make it that far. So awesome!!!!!! and with an awesome pub to top it off. Icing on the cake. I look forward to see it come out.
 

ManOfTongues

Coffee, please.
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Aug 8, 2012
Messages
91
Reaction score
17
Location
Toronto, Canada
Thanks :) I'm so excited to work with them! Their authors seem happy, their readers seem happy and the contract looks reasonable. I was a little concerned with the initial rocky start they seemed to have about two years ago, but they're transparent and seem to really care about quality (still admiring their covers :p). Besides, the sales, reviews and likes on facebook (65000? :eek: for a small publisher?) speak for themselves.

Good luck with your submission to them! Honestly, I can relate with the waiting game. After 8 long years of writing, submitting and rejections, I know exactly what you're talking about. But legit, it's worth it :D hopefully it's good news for you too!

- Michael
 

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
619
Reaction score
655
Location
Wales
Website
jenhayley.com
Congrats on the offer!! So exciting!!

If you don't mind me asking, what was your timeline? They requested my full, so I'm wondering what the wait time will be like.
 

ManOfTongues

Coffee, please.
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Aug 8, 2012
Messages
91
Reaction score
17
Location
Toronto, Canada
Congrats on the offer!! So exciting!!

If you don't mind me asking, what was your timeline? They requested my full, so I'm wondering what the wait time will be like.

I submitted my query to them back in September then got a full request in mid March. I got a revise and resubmit request in late April then it took about a month for me to get the response from the revise and resubmit. Luckily they liked it :p
 

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Dec 8, 2013
Messages
8,675
Reaction score
6,973
Location
Austin
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Someone from CQ favorited one of my pitches in the #SFFpit event on Twitter just now (if you're unfamiliar, that means they just invited me to query them). That's good, but I really want an agent before dealing with a publisher. Rats, I'm not sure if I should just query them or not.
 

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Feb 16, 2009
Messages
852
Reaction score
57
Location
Houston, Texas
Website
www.patreon.com
I would hold off, and when/if you get an agent then let them know that CQ was interested in the book via #SFFPit. But I'm all for agents first, rather than going through publishers myself.

And, anyway, congratulations on the interest!
 

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Super Member
Registered
Joined
May 17, 2010
Messages
1,076
Reaction score
84
Location
Ohio
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
I agree. Wait. You can tweet the requesting editor and mention you're glad they were interested but you're currently seeking agents but you'll keep them in mind for later.

I'm sure they'd understand. They do seem to be getting better and better which is great but if you're agent seeking then most likely you can still find a publisher who can get your book into book stores. Understand that you'd be sacrificing that option by going with them now.

In other news, I've noticed that their most recent covers are gorgeous!! Like wow, good. They have a distinct fantasy feel to the ones I've seen but that might just be fitting to those books (or maybe that's their niche now?) Either way, I'm impressed by the pretty
 
Last edited:

DrFaerieGodmother

Villainy is merely an issue of POV.
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Nov 24, 2012
Messages
77
Reaction score
9
Location
Narnia
I agree with Stacey: if you're looking for an agent, only submit to agents. After a while, you'll either have an agent, or you'll have decided agents aren't the route for this book. Then you can submit *this* book to small presses while you query your next book (if you decide to go on).

They were pretty active in the #Pitcharama contest this year too, and my chapters just got bumped to a full. I'm doing the finger-crossing happy dance (though I know full well the happy dance is also just one correspondence away from the unhappy dance--oh publishing, you tease you).
 

Undercover

I got it covered
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Mar 1, 2010
Messages
10,488
Reaction score
2,198
Location
Not here, but there
Is it just me or did they totally change their site? And their books just ballooned, like super quick? That's a lot to take on. I just hope it's not turning into an author mill.
 

DrFaerieGodmother

Villainy is merely an issue of POV.
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Nov 24, 2012
Messages
77
Reaction score
9
Location
Narnia
It's not just you. They have rebranded themselves. They took away the skull and ink (awww, I loved the shakespeare skull), and put a capricorn on their website.

As for the new books? nope, they've always put out a ton of books. Also, they now have a few writers who are putting out sequels of previous books, so those get a different fanfare.

The site is new, but the only people they list are management, marketing and production (no editors?) so we'll see how things pan out. (maybe they don't like to list their editors for privacy sake? Or maybe that part hasn't been posted yet? Wait and see, I guess).
 

ManOfTongues

Coffee, please.
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Aug 8, 2012
Messages
91
Reaction score
17
Location
Toronto, Canada
Is it just me or did they totally change their site? And their books just ballooned, like super quick? That's a lot to take on. I just hope it's not turning into an author mill.

From the experience I've had so far, CQ is definitely not an author mill. They did totally change their site though :)

The site is new, but the only people they list are management, marketing and production (no editors?) so we'll see how things pan out. (maybe they don't like to list their editors for privacy sake? Or maybe that part hasn't been posted yet? Wait and see, I guess).

The editors are there, trust me. I'm working through my first pass edits right now... er, well, I should be :p
 
Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Mar 1, 2010
Messages
10,488
Reaction score
2,198
Location
Not here, but there
I have a submission with them, since January. I nudged twice. Both times they got back to me, which was nice. But the last time I heard was April.

I hate to have to keep nudging, but I'm up in the air still.

The new change is somewhat jarring. And I really didn't realize just how many books they had.
 

HLWampler

practical experience, FTW
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Jul 10, 2010
Messages
375
Reaction score
73
I've also had a submission out with them since January. I nudged once about a month ago.

I'm so anxious to hear back from them.
 

Sage

Our Lady of Parentheticals
Super Moderator
Moderator
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Oct 15, 2005
Messages
69,370
Reaction score
34,614
Age
46
Location
Cheering you all on!
If you're waiting on Alison Heller, I've heard that she's on leave for medical reasons. I believe she's getting her requests reassigned, though
 

Jinsune

Super Member
Registered
Joined
Jul 7, 2014
Messages
116
Reaction score
11
I'm just curious and if this was mentioned earlier in this threat sorry in advance.

Do the printed books go to brick-and-mortar stores or are they just sold on Amazon? They have really good covers and a friend of mine has ordered some books from them via Amazon.
 

DrFaerieGodmother

Villainy is merely an issue of POV.
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Nov 24, 2012
Messages
77
Reaction score
9
Location
Narnia
Jinsune,

That's a store by store thing. Mostly they are available through amazon, but if you'd like to order one through your local indie bookstore, you can (though you aren't likely to come across a physical copy just waiting for you unless you share a hometown with one of the CQ authors).

That being said, some Barnes and Nobles do carry some of the titles, so go to the CQ website, click through the stores and see if any of the titles are available near you.

But, it really is just as easy to get a physical copy through your local indie store. (but be prepared with the title and the author name!).
 

Cel_Fleur

Braving the query mountains
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Mar 10, 2014
Messages
144
Reaction score
1
Location
England
Hmm, the new website looks very fab and swanky, but I did prefer the Shakespeare touches of the old site and logo - I feel that more 'curiosity'. Lol, subjectivity.
 

Elspeth Hall

Registered
Joined
Sep 14, 2012
Messages
18
Reaction score
1
Popping in again to say that I'm still enjoying my experience as QCP author. Someone earlier asked about the quality of agents submitting work to them: well my agent is fairly new, but she has sold a couple of titles to big six publishers now (sadly not mine, haha!) and is from a long established reputable agency.

I'd also like to report that the editing process I've been going through the past couple of months has been very thorough and professional. No skimping on editing, as my sleepless nights in front of the computer can verify!
I too was a little concerned with the quantity of titles they put out at the beginning of my experience with them, but I haven't seen any lack of quality thus far. My book comes out in Fall. I'll be back then to update!
 
Last edited:

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
7,705
Reaction score
1,336
Location
Where the Wild Things Are
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I see more agents and more 'established' authors heading to smaller presses now. Names I know showing up on the lists of places like Entangled, Month9, and Amazon's YA Imprint, Skyscape.

There's been a definite shift.
 

neicolec

Just getting started
Super Member
Registered
Joined
May 12, 2014
Messages
56
Reaction score
4
Location
Seattle
Does anyone know of any similar small presses? With good terms and author-favorable contracts like CQ?