Learn Writing with Uncle Jim, Volume 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Underhill

Writer,Burglar,Adventurer
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
Some publishers/agents ask for Time Romans, 12pt, for example.
Yes! Time Romans! That's it!

A Roman Legion falls through a rift in spacetime on an ancient battlefield, only to find themselves in the year 3049 AD, where their battle expertise is drastically needed to repulse an invasion by the evil aliens of Xobu. Then they wander across the ages, trying to get home, meeting adventure. The novel focuses on the exploits of the 12th Cohort as they...

Oh, sorry, that's the other thread.
;)

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
That was why I ripped out the first few pages of the WIP. Even though UJ just said to keep going. I couldn't leave it like that. And I realized that what the character was doing had NOTHING TO DO WITH THE STORY. It was just cheesy exposition. Same with forced dialog.

When I write dialog, I listen to what the characters are saying. I evesdrop. It's the best way to get the natural cadence of a conversation. Usually dialog just flies out of my fingers, b/c my characters just keep talking and I have to catch up.

Yes, I hear voices.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Mr Underhill said:
Yes! Time Romans! That's it!

A Roman Legion falls through a rift in spacetime on an ancient battlefield, only to find themselves in the year 3049 AD, where their battle expertise is drastically needed to repulse an invasion by the evil aliens of Xobu. Then they wander across the ages, trying to get home, meeting adventure. The novel focuses on the exploits of the 12th Cohort as they...

Oh, sorry, that's the other thread.
;)

Oh crap. It was 6:40 AM. without coffee.

On the other hand, it's not a bad idea...

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Time Romans. All across Oknapawtopitoff County, rival Christian middle schools vie for the chance to send their top students to the statewide Time Romans Classic, where these devout young scholars will compete to find out who can recite all sixteen chapters of Romans in the shortest time. After one practice session, when a school janitor is caught sabotaging the coach's stopwatch, all hell breaks loose.

Oops! Back to rewrite.

black winged fighter

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
jdparadise said:
I'm currently mulling over Noah Lukeman's "The First Five Pages." Lukeman's a commercial/literary agent, and has what seems like a lot of good insight into writing.

On "informative" writing, the kind BWF seems to be talking about here, Lukeman has this to say (typos, if any, mine):
There are many ways in which dialogue can be "fake." The most common example is informative dialogue, that is, dialogue used as a vehicle for conveying information"...
*One thing I can see is the MC sitting in a bar and overhearing an argument, a b*tch session, or a problem-solving attempt that might reveal world.

What I definitely did *not* advocate was the use of "As you know, Bob..." dialogue. Instead, I use minor characters by letting their experiences, and their subsequent conversations add anturally to the MC's and reader's knowledge.
For a (simple) example, MC = Jackie. Her brother breaks his leg on a biking trip, and tells her in the hospital that he had to wait forever for help, because some crazy guy wouldn't stop to help him...Cue deductive reasoning on Jackie's part....
In fiction world building (and an even simpler example), a friend might complain to the MC about forgetting her sacrificial dues, and now the King wants to know why....Can the MC help her?
And thus the plot advances and the world expands a little through adding depth to other characters. It will never be: "Bob, as you know, sacrificial dues need to be in by tomorrow, and you know how the king gets when you miss a payment!"
To paraphrase Uncle Jim: it must advance character, plot, or theme...

Mr Underhill

Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
Time Romans

Oh crap. It was 6:40 AM. without coffee.

On the other hand, it's not a bad idea...
No way, man! Time Romans is my idea! Keep your hands off it!

Oh. I guess it was your typo.

So, whaddaya say, 50/50? That's a cool half-mil each once we pitch it to the guys at Paramount! :banana:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Time, Romans.

In a pub in Londinium at the end of the second century, a legionary squad consisting of Handsome Hans the Teutonic Terror, Gaius Gracchus the Grinning Gaul, Manual Magister the Enigmatic Iberian, and Severus Sixtus (seventh son of Senator Sapium) are having a few drinks when the publican announces last call. Wacky hijinks ensue.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Time. Romans?

Hickory dickory dock, the mouse ran up the clock.
The clock struck one...

No one realized it wasn't just an old nursery rhyme. It was a warning. The ancient clock, long rusting away in a fallen church tower in Ravena, creaked into motion. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. It was going to strike the hour one last time. And when it did, they would arrive. The bell would toll them across the line that divides the past from the present, the impossible from the possible. Demons? Monsters? Or...Romans?

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Time, romans. England takes its first step out of the Dark Ages toward a bright future as an efficiently administered world power when the royal scribes learn they can record census data twice as fast if they use arabic numerals where once they wrote "Husholde of Iohannes Smythe, xvij pigges, xxviii layinge hennes," leaving them more time to think up new taxes.

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
Mr Underhill said:
No way, man! Time Romans is my idea! Keep your hands off it!

Oh. I guess it was your typo.
*snrk*

I was on this local (Colorado) Pagan mailing list, someone was talking about divination methods, they wrote "scurrying mirror" when they meant "scrying," I was delighted by the resulting visual and said so. Was a ferret running off with the looking glass? Did the mirror sprout legs, Luggage-like, and flee? The person who made the typo got very huffy and told me I oughtn't to make fun of his dyslexia. I suppose I wasn't clear enough and my delight sounded like derision by the time the email got to him. :(

Not ten messages later, a friend of mine on that list said something about "putting people on a pedestool," which started me giggling again. I could just see Rich Hall coming up with a Sniglet definition for that one. "ped' uh stool: The bar stool upon which is sitting that man or woman to whom you have become attracted after viewing them through beer goggles." My friend was not huffy at all about such suppositions, but then she's also a writer and appreciates these things.

A short story I wrote in college came out of misreading something Neil Gaiman wrote in the forward to one of his miscellany collections. I think his phrase was actually "an angel waking up a man and telling him..." and I at first thought it said "an angel waking up as a man." The story I wrote concerned a guardian angel who got demoted to merely human and had to adjust to his new mortality.

Anyway, just tickled pink to see the typo-to-story-idea process continually at work.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
You guys crack me up. The strangest things make for creativity, don't they? I had an idea last week for a story/book about the qualifications to become Pope. Watching all the news coverage and all.

To be a baptized Catholic male is the only one.

Story pops into my head about an auto mechanic named Joe from Cleveland who suddenly finds himself elected Pope. Hijinks ensue.

Shiny_Penguin

665:Neighbor of the Beast
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bellaonline.com
NicoleJLeBoeuf said:
*snrk*

I was on this local (Colorado) Pagan mailing list, someone was talking about divination methods, they wrote "scurrying mirror" when they meant "scrying," I was delighted by the resulting visual and said so. Was a ferret running off with the looking glass? Did the mirror sprout legs, Luggage-like, and flee?

:ROFL:That's great! Must be hard to look into though....

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Tie me, Romans!

A kinky young lady learns about life and love during an unforgetable vacation in the Eternal City.

==================

Your next challenge!

Take one of the ideas above and turn it into a story. You won't have completed the assignment until you've actually submitted it to a paying market.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
James D. Macdonald said:
Tie me, Romans!

A kinky young lady learns about life and love during an unforgetable vacation in the Eternal City.

==================

Your next challenge!

Take one of the ideas above and turn it into a story. You won't have completed the assignment until you've actually submitted it to a paying market.

Meanwhile, you should ALL credit me for these ideas. I am SO PROUD.

It's Time, Romans!

bkrrh85

Registered
Reaction score
POV Question

I have a POV question.

In one of my C's, four children are in the hold of a ship. My POV character is with his friend, Darius, in the cockpit of a helicopter stored there.

One of the kids is wandering around looking at things.

The fourth kid is looking at some chickens in a large crate. Something happens that necessitates the fourth kid trying to retrieve something that dropped into the crate by accident.

From where he is sitting, my POV char. could see what the 4th kid is doing if he were looking, but he's not looking.

So the question is this: because what happens with the chicken crate is crucial to this scene, do I have to begin a new chapter to show two pages of action by the 4th kid as from the 4th kid's POV, or can I switch to the kid's actions WITHOUT changing POV because the POV char. could see him if he were looking?

Currently, I have a very short, two page chapter from the 4th kid's POV because I show the 4th kid's thoughts. BUT, I could write the same actions without showing the kid's thoughts.

What do you think? I hope I've been clear enough! I appreicate your help.

Kate Nepveu

Vacuumer of Cats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steelypips.org
bkrrh85 said:
From where he is sitting, my POV char. could see what the 4th kid is doing if he were looking, but he's not looking.
Why can't he look?

Or, can the 4th kid tell him afterwards?

Just a few alternatives that might jog something loose.

bkrrh85

Registered
Reaction score
It is not that he "can't" look, it is just that he is occupied looking through the cockpit with his friend.

The 4th kid can't tell the POV char. "afterwards" because the 4th kid's actions cause the chickens to escape, and ALL the kids get involved chasing them down, etc.

Kate Nepveu

Vacuumer of Cats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steelypips.org
So something like kid 1 running after a big red hen, and kid 2 ducking when an irate rooster flies at him, and kid 3 yelling "did _you_ let them out? what the heck did you do *that* for" to kid 4 wouldn't work? Or after the chickens are back in the coop?

And my first question was more "why _doesn't_ he look", I suppose.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Do a linebreak and switch POV, or use a different POV character for the entire scene.

Your POV is the person who's best able to see the important actions. That's why you make 'em POV to start with.

Mr Underhill

Registered
Reaction score
black winged fighter said:
What I definitely did *not* advocate was the use of "As you know, Bob..." dialogue. Instead, I use minor characters by letting their experiences, and their subsequent conversations add anturally to the MC's and reader's knowledge...

To paraphrase Uncle Jim: it must advance character, plot, or theme...
Andrew Jameson said:
I think the key to Lukeman's comments is where he says that he objects to "interchanges... that don't spring from characters' needs, desires, and relationships." So, like you say, two characters sitting around talking about the Eastasian's recent invasion of Plimptonland, something well-known to both, which they have no particular reason to talk about ("As you know, Bob...") is fundamentally unsatisfying.
So here's what I did in a SS I recently dusted off and submitted. Originally I had the story open with the pilot, as first-person narrator, explaining about the dust cloud and comets his spacecraft is approaching. Wasn't too bad, since I jumped right into what was happening and what he was seeing, but it was still telling instead of showing.

So I revised it so that in addition to what he is seeing, he is having a conversation with the science officer about what is happening and what they are seeing. The scientific details become part of the science officer's patter – he tends to give too much information, so the pilot-narrator has to keep cutting him off to get the bottom-line information he needs.

I suppose that the science officer's TMI explanations could count as "As you know, Bob" dialogue, but I don't see it that way. Since he and the pilot have different agendas in the exchange, there is some tension. And the pilot's voice keeps things moving for those who aren't interested in wallowing in Oort-cloud astrodynamics.

Definitely added some pep to the opening of the story, IMO. Your thoughts?

#

My idea of "As you know, Bob" dialogue goes something like this:

"As you know Bob, this volcano, Mount Guba-Guba, has shown many signs of increasing activity over the past three weeks. Hydrogen sulfide emissions and seismic activity have been at the highest levels since our Geologic Survey Group began observations in 1956."

"Yes, Tom, that's sure worrisome. Can you give me a better breakdown of the gas outflow? Hmm. This looks like the lava dome is rising for sure. The only question now is whether we'll get a lava outflow like those Hawaiian volcanos, or an explosion like Mount Saint Helens."

"It could be worse than that Bob. There is a report of a heavy pyroclastic flow wiping out a village on the neighboring island of Sobarupa back in 1791."

"Pyroclastic flow?"

"Yes, that's the 'silent but deadly' type. Similar to what happened on Martinique. You recall that story from Napoleonic times where the ash cloud, filled with hot poisonous gases, swept down on the town, killing everyone except one lucky guy locked deep in a jail cell."

"Yes, Tom, that would be truly horrifying."​

This is basically a volley, where both sides are trying to keep the ball in the air as long as possible. It is boring because there is no sense that either one is trying to score a point, let alone spike the ball. Also, there is no sense that the two speakers really have different areas of knowledge or objectives – the questions are haphazard.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
bkrrh85 said:
...can I switch to the kid's actions WITHOUT changing POV because the POV char. could see him if he were looking?
No, you can't do that. If you describe action that the character doesn't know about, you've left his POV. Similarly, if he closes his eyes for a minute, you need another POV for anything he would have seen during that time.

Chickens escaping from a crate would make noise. Maybe the POV character hears squawking and turns around...?

Last edited:

black winged fighter

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Mr Underhill, as long as the dialogue reveals character, carries a theme, and/or furthers the plot, there should be no problem. In your "As you know, Bob" example, none of these are accomplished.

From the description that you have given, I deduce that the scientist is perhaps a bit full of himself and his knowledge, and that the pilot is a pragmatic, no-nonsense guy. This provides insight into their different characters, and quite probably furthers the plot some. Perhaps it even foreshadows a scene where time will be of the essence and conflict will arise.

Now, if you've managed to get your theme tucked into the opening scene, you've scored three direct hits.

(good luck with the submission!)

Jason M. Dyess

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to ask a question on behalf of my wife. She has three novels in various stages of completion and is looking for markets for them (no, this is not a request for market ideas). She has found a few publishers who accept unsolicited submissions but request a marketing proposal. Her question is, "How do you write a marketing proposal for a novel?"

My addendum to her question is, "Should a writer submit to a publisher that wants an untrained person creating their marketing plan? Don't they have people who do that?"

Back to BIC.

bkrrh85

Registered
Reaction score
reph said:
No, you can't do that. If you describe action that the character doesn't know about, you've left his POV. Similarly, if he closes his eyes for a minute, you need another POV for anything he would have seen during that time.

Chickens escaping from a crate would make noise. Maybe the POV character hears squawking and turns around...?

Thanks for the input.

The boys in the helicopter didn't hear the chickens because they accidentally turned on the engine. But, taking everyone's comments into consideration, I went ahead and changed the scene, so that my POV char. who is in the helicopter looks up and observes the chicken action, and then joins in the fray.

It worked fine, and having looked at both versions, don't feel the scene suffers any for the changes.

Thanks again, everyone. Your input is valued and appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.