Here We Go!

VivPierce

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Absolute Write Community!
I've been lurking here since November, mostly researching agents and agencies, and I wanted to thank the AW powers that be for such an incredible resource. And I'd like to get a bit more dynamic than that, so I just wanted to introduce myself.

At the moment, I consider my writing genre to be Literary Fiction, as that's what I learned most about in my MFA program (completed last year). I'm interested in maybe branching out to genres like Sci Fi and Romance, but I have loads of research to do before I can try either of those.

I tend to read Lit Fic as well, with Jennifer Egan being my current favorite. And while I don't think I've seen Rainbow Rowell classified as Lit Fic, I think she should be - her writing is so evocative, beautiful, and emotional, and man alive it takes skill to do what she does. I also read a lot of my friends' writing, mostly the people from my program's cohort, and they're some of my favorites - alas, none of us have published books yet, so it would be weird to say their names here. :)

I started writing stories and poems as a kid, and majored in English in undergrad, and took as many writing workshops as I could, though I never really got in the habit of writing daily. I graduated college, and then 20+ years whizzed by, with various attempts at writing short things, but mostly not writing much at all. I went back in my mid-40s to get that aforementioned MFA, and it was exactly what I needed to kick start my writing, which I've been doing my best to keep up with in some capacity, for about three years now. I feel more like myself than ever before!

Anyhoo, now I'm querying agents for my very first novel, and I'm looking to learn from y'all, commiserate, cheer on, and be cheered on. Thanks for having me!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.