Question on Requested Material for Sub.

Lisa Driscoll

Lisa D.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sassycatchat.com
Hi all - I'm new to querying and I have a question about the process. It seems everyone has a different amount of sample pages they want - I get that. But I'm not exactly sure how to handle my particular MS

If someone asks for 10 pages, that's obvious what they want.

However, when they ask for two chapters, I get confused. My MS has a two page prologue - does this count as a chapter? My MS also starts out with a 4 page chapter that's not REALLY a chapter. My subplot is kind of a journey laced within the narrative. Think the scenes of Forrest Gump sitting on the park bench talking to strangers waiting for the bus. It's part of the overall story as it propels the plot, however, it's not THE story.

So my outline reads as such: Prologue, Scene, Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Scene, Chapter 3 etc.... The Prologue and Scene are strong chapters, it's just a different way of telling the story.

If someone asks for two chapters where do I start and end? If I stick to the first two "headers" then they will only get the prologue and Scene which is roughly 10 pages.

I'm afraid of not sending an agent what they want - any advice is welcome!!!

lis_kb

Registered
Reaction score
I would send Prologue, Scene, Chapter 1 and Chapter 2. They know that not every book fits neatly into chapter categories. As long as you don't send past Chapter 2, even if it's only 15 or so pages by that point, I think you'll be fine. Good luck!

Lisa Driscoll

Lisa D.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sassycatchat.com
I would send Prologue, Scene, Chapter 1 and Chapter 2. They know that not every book fits neatly into chapter categories. As long as you don't send past Chapter 2, even if it's only 15 or so pages by that point, I think you'll be fine. Good luck!

Thank you! This was my first inclination but I wasn't sure and started second guessing myself.