November Challenge - Write Every Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
576 words today. The new chapter is nearly finished apart from a godly visitation.

I need a break from this... so tired.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Katy - fingers crossed for the next one!
DL - looks like I might have another online test (40 mins)(!!)for a job - maybe that's a thing now. Congrats on your 800 w00t!
Keithy - great work, congrats on making that 576

Day 21 - 288 words.

worked from 9:00 - 6:00 at the retail job, got home and rsvpped a recruiter who asked for my phone number (I'm using linked in and forgot to type it in the message…), also responded to an interview offer for a job - it's not something great - I'd be making as much as I'm making now, about, but it will be less time and less travel - which will be good for the cold weather. But f me I need a real job!
I also did a *little* of the online training & renewed my ad for the room.
3/3
Time for bed now.

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day X
I'm still here, but this thread dropped off my radar, and it has been a bit of a relief, to be honest; there's still too much else on my mind. I dropped my daily meditation habit, which had the positive side effect of showing me just how important a daily meditation habit is to me because now my mind is a perpetual thought carnival. So I'm focusing on getting back on track with some other habits before I get back to this.

I will be back with a new thread and new energy in December.

Good to see the rest of you trucking on, do keep it up!

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
306 words today and the "Dungeon" chapter completed, as is the "Imperial" plotline.

Next is the "Civil War" plotline. I think that should be the easiest to sort out - just include a few extra plot points; no need to change POVs, add new chapters, rip sections out, etc.

Keep on swimming!

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Layla...Wow...another 40 min test?! As if finding a new job isn't already enough work, they really have you jumping through hoops. But hey, as long as it pays off in the end, it will be worth it. I just hope that end comes for you sooner, rather than later. Good luck with the interim job too. Even if it isn't more pay, you can't beat being closer to home.

Magnus...Nice to hear that the break did you some good. It's important that you're getting back to your meditation if that's how you cope best. Taking care of yourself should always come first. Hope to see you back in December, re-energized and feeling your best.

Keithy...Nice job on another ~900 words over the past two days, and finishing another chapter too. Hope your Civil War is as easy to sort out as you think, and I hope you get some rest too.

I only managed just over 100 words tonight. But considering that I hadn't planned to write at all, I'll take it. I may write a bit more this weekend after all, but definitely not tomorrow, so I'll see you all in a few days. Hope those who haven't checked in for a while are busy plugging away!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Keithy!! I'm swimmin I see you over there! Pretty soon my toes are going to touch the bottom, I'm sure. CONGRATS on those 306 words!

Hey DL! Congrats on your 100 :) (and it's not even a professional job...)

Day 22: 15 handwriting lines; 200 digital words; Considering that I could have written 0 - it's good.

2) emails w/ a hirer to set up a skype interview… worked a bit on the marketing site (fixed the audio & mobile friendly layout) & did some of the online training.

3) did laundry (sheets!), vacuumed, cleaned the toilet (!) did groceries, & went to city hall to see about a bad parking ticket - I have to get a form from another department… housemate phone interview in the evening but he's not a fit

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
I've now revisited 22 scenes out of 60. The last few scenes have been rough, as I've been moving things around a bit -- so that means a lot of rewrites.

It's hard work. On the plus side, it let one of my side characters, Maud, have fun with her new lines:

"My parents have been keeping secrets, too. Mama asks me to help with her candles, yet she doesn't believe I'm old enough to know what they're for." She shrugged. "But I know."

The candles are used for spell-casting.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lost a few days due to getting back to school and friends coming from far away.

Going back to 1250 words/day due to new engagements. Here's hoping!

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
Got sick with a sinus infection on Monday, so lost a couple days while trying to sleep/work/breathe. Praying I don't have to go to urgent care again for antibiotics. Hope everyone has a good Turkey Day!

Did get 4 pages wrote since Tuesday though.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Hope everyone had a delightful Autumn Feast Day :hi:

Day 23: 11 hand-lines and 555 digital words. That's my high for the month.

I worked on a personal assignment, and I did work on my marketing site, and some online training.

3/3 & early to bed. I work retail at 6:00 am. Black Friday, everyone...

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
I've been looking at the civil war plot thread and it's not quite as simple as it appeared. I have to show the course of the war, with its ebbs and flows, but in removing some subplots, I've taken some illustration of this away. In simple terms the war goes from going quite well to near disaster too quickly.

So I'm considering adding a new chapter, but it does not look that worthwhile; the events could be inferred from other chapters. OR... I could use my reporter character to do reports at the front.

More thinking required.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,
Sorry I've been out of the conversation... I had a lot of work and then took my daughter to an out of state college scholarship competition, and then I got sick (which is where I am now)... I think this experience, matching as it does the experience of the only other time I tried Nano, reinforces that this sort of artificial deadline environment doesn't help me write more. On the plus side, I do have a start on the new novel now, so that's all to the good.

I'm impressed with all y'all who're kicking it, though!

D.L. Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Quick check in. Hosted Thanksgiving yesterday, so no writing, but today I finished cleaning up from our get together, got 500 words written, and three walls painted. Need to finish the living room and hallway and then if time some molding, and then Monday is our anniversary! Busy weekend, but I am going to *try* to write a few paragraphs each day.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
OK I've decided to write the new chapter. It'll use a deleted chapter as a backdrop - the descriptions of events will be useful - but the characters involved will be different.

Happy Thanksgiving and Black Friday to all.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Quick check-in for me today too.

Day 24: 366 digital words -
worked on the online training
tired, accepting 2/3 -

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
Quick check-in for me as well. :D

Still revising scenes like mad. The middle of the book is just as difficult to slog through as it was the first two times, but it feels a lot more focused now. It looks quite lean and mean, too (and that's after adding back in a lot of the inner thoughts I'd slashed after misunderstanding the "show don't tell" advice!).

I've also started on the synopsis. Ugh.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Oh boy, looks like the season of quick check-ins.

Day 25: 20 handwritten lines; did some training.

It's not even 8:00p and I'm thinking it's time for bed.

wow.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
slow... check... in...

I... did... some... thinking... about...

the... new... chapter...

aw that'll do!

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lost some consistency and word count but I'm still fighting!

Today:

500 words written.
650 words edited.

peartree

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all. Had a bit of a breakdown so I haven't written more than 1000 words this week. I'm totally exhausted from the holidays and only have tomorrow "off" before potential work opens up again (although I do think I'll be free Monday; no one wants to call in a sub for the first day after a full week off), so I don't know how much I'll get written.

I've accepted that I'm just not the NaNo type. I write multiple WIPs over months and years, not one over a month. But still, I think learning something about myself is a good move. Definitely want to keep my space epic burning though; I think it's very readable which is something I really gun for.

Very impressed with y'alls progress - you guys are amazing!

heykatydid

Business Lumberjack
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't die, but--

Things went down in the worst way at my job. This is the second time that this has happened to me during NaNo, being taken into a room with a group of colleagues and being told that you no longer have a job. Now, for us this means after our contracts end in March and I was already leaving anyway. But there's something so completely demoralizing about being told that you are too expensive and not worth it and watching your coworkers be blindsided by the decision with nothing else lined up for next year. It's taken a big toll on me this week, and I've been pretty wholly unable to do any writing. I'm definitely not even close to winning NaNo and at this point I'll barely even log anything the last half of the month, but I got a good start on the manuscript and now I have 24k that I didn't have before November!

I'm going to take the last bit of the month off from writing and head into editing the novel I finished at the end of October. Hopefully once Dec starts I'll be ready to go with some more (lower) daily goals including both word counts and pages revised!

Best of luck, everyone, and see you in December! :)

D.L. Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
heykatydid...that really is terrible about your job. Glad you had planned to leave anyway, but how heartbreaking for your co-workers.

peartree...I did NaNo a few years back and learned it wasn't for me either. I prefer slow and steady. When I force myself to rush through a project I feel as if I'm adding words just to make my count, rather than adding words to advance my plot or build emotion.

Nothing for me yesterday, although we got a good deal of our painting project done. Just some touch up and trim left for these two rooms. I have more painting to do after the New Year too, but I need to take a break from it. I want to keep my writing as my main focus. The other stuff will get done when it gets done.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Holla, Keithy
Daniel - keep up the fight! I'm in there with you!
(((hugs))) peartree
katy - ugh - that's awful. I've been there. I'm glad you had a plan anyway, & I hope things go ok for the others.
DL - I *think* the painting project sounds fun/relaxing - at least it will be when it's all done, right?

Day 26: about 200 digital words
Did some online training
2/3. It's ok.
Been so tired lately :(

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
HeyKaty, that happened to me in 1993 - it was a big shock to me; ever since then I've kept my eyes open for trouble like that.
Peartree/DL - hopefully you can come up with a new plan. But don't get too hung up on plans; they need to be flexible.

As for me - 684 words, about 2/3 new words, the rest adapted from the previously deleted chapter.

This plot is easier than I thought; all I need to do is complete this new chapter and I can begin a read through.

(and now I find myself using semicolons everywhere!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.