Rex Tillerson Trump' Choice For Secretary of State

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Exxon Mobil CEO Rex Tillerson is Donald Trump's choice for Secretary of State. Among other things, Tillerson is close to Vladimir Putin, having received the Order of Friendship for his work with the state controlled Russian oil company Rosneft.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc-news/wat...or-secy-of-state-829919811953?cid=sm_tw_msnbc

So. The head of Exxon Mobil, with close Russian ties is now to be our secretary of state. Coincidentally, the Russian government interfered with our election to assist Donald Trump.

Exxon Mobil made a huge deal with Rosneft ( 500 billion, I believe) that fell apart when the US imposed sanctions on Russia after their excursions in Crimea in the Ukraine. What do you think the chances are those sanctions will now be lifted? Tellerson, who owns much Exxon stock stands to increase his wealth by millions upon millions of dollars if that original deal goes through.

I said before the election that I didn't believe most people fully understood just how bad Donald Trump was going to be if elected. He has far outstipped even my own worst expectations.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Wow that's ballsy considering that the CIA has just concluded unequivocally that the Russians did interfere in our election process with the clear intent of electing Trump. But as he has proven time and time again, what would embroil another politician in career-ending scandal, if not get them indicted, just makes him bolder and more popular with his supporters.

Last edited:

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
I think if he goes through with Tillerson as his pick, the Senate rejects it. McCain and Graham are not at all happy with the pick, if their remarks on the NBC Nightly News tonight are any indication, and if they vote against him, all it takes is one more Republican to vote him down. My prediction - Trump twiddles his thumbs for a few days, and then someone else emerges as the front runner.

princessvessna

Garden Geek Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Website
treesandshrubs.about.com
I wonder if they're doing a strategic leak to help promote the idea of fake news. Over on Twitter (ah, Twitter), someone in the transition team said no announcement until next week. People responded by saying they could only trust @realdonaldtrump since the rest was clickbait and fake news. Responses like that. If they choose someone else in the end, they have more "proof" of that.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Cats wouldn't tolerate Trump's shit and they refuse to kiss his ass.

J.J.PITTS

Registered
Reaction score

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Not exactly but I suspect a debate about it here would go nowhere. It's closer to GW Bush, et al, influencing the CIA and taking intelligence the CIA said was doubtful then presenting it to the public as "a slam dunk".
Yes, that debate will never be resolved.

Republicans have long insisted they were misled by inaccurate information. Some, like Dick Cheney, still insist the information they received was accurate, but he's pretty much alone in that.

I think most unbiased observers have come to the conclusion that the Bush administration cherry-picked -- they played up information that seemed to support what they wanted to hear and dismissed equally compelling information that did not fit into their agenda.

That's the whole point of the anger directed at the Bush administration – that they distorted information received from intelligence services to push policy objectives they had already decided on.

This appears to be quite different. There is apparently no question but that the Russians were behind the hacking. The different opinions are simply about what the Russian motivations might have been, and if that can ever be known with any certainty.

One thing that is certain is that Putin hates Hillary Clinton and is rather supportive of Donald Trump -- and extremely fond of the new Secretary of State, recipient of the Russian "Order of Friendship."

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is it? Who was in charge of the CIA then, and who is in charge of it now?

Exactly.

And people are ripe to believe the CIA was behind the Iraq WMD lie and of course, the Trump camp knows all too well how to exploit that little convenient wedge.

Last edited:

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
You trust them if they present a cogent and logical case for whatever evidence they're presenting.

Ergo, Iraq, no, as was the assessment of other informed individuals at the time. And there were plenty of dissenters inside the various agencies (which is why Scooter Libby outed Valerie Plame)

On Russian hacking, yes, because academic researchers have been saying the same thing for months. And this is supposedly a broad consensus agreement across the various agencies.

There's nothing partisan here. Trump just continues to make it look like he has something to hide.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
She's not alone. I do, in fact, have this incredibly charming Siamese female cat who likes to do this.

caw
My daughter's cat tries to groom any of us dry when we get out of the shower... and one of our first generation of cats would do the same.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
Am I to understand we only trust the CIA or any other government agency if 'our' guy is in office?
I read that more as, if there's completely different leadership (and there have been multiple leadership changes at CIA over the intervening years), how differently might that make the agency function?

J.J.PITTS

Registered
Reaction score
I read that more as, if there's completely different leadership (and there have been multiple leadership changes at CIA over the intervening years), how differently might that make the agency function?
Does that automatically mean they function 'better'?

Or does it depend on the results one is searching for?

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com

Ir would be easier to have a productive discussion if you would simply state clearly whatever the point is you're trying to make, instead of using faux Socratic one line questions and forcing people to guess what it is you're trying to say.

Of course, if you actually spelled out what you think you would then have to defend it. That's not quite as much fun.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com

This sort of faux logic really isn't believable from the PEOTUS, and even less so when you parrot it secondhand.