"Alien" prequel [2009 thread]

TylerJones

Unashamed comic book nerd
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen a bit of chatter about Ridley and Tony Scott producing an "Alien" prequel.

The question is: would anyone want to see one, and if so, what should it (or should it not) be/have in it?

If this has been posted before, my apologies. Just trying to see if my project would have any fanbase appeal.

Thanks.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I love the alien franchise. It should be tense, suspenseful, scary, with good cat and mouse scenes.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
How's about an early early early human mission from Earth (like 100 years before Ripley was even born) gets intercepted by a ship operated by an advanced race of intellgent aliens who have never had any prior contact at all with humans/Earthlings before. These alien creatures are human ... and ... they are super-duper HUGE muther-effers!!!! LIke 20 feet tall kind of dudes!!

Giger+dead+pilot.jpg

Alien_pilot.jpg

The humans/Earthlings get taken aboard this alien ship of humanoid/benevolent aliens, and they are in the middle of their accidental first contact with this alien race. And as they are all groping their way along through a true First Contact, THEN this alien ship somehow comes in contact with one of the dreaded eggs.

The scourge of exploding chests rips through the entire crew of the giant-sized humanoid/benevolent aliens. And the resulting face-hugger/chest-burster creatures are themselves super-duper huge muthers themselves. (Part of the mythology that had grown over the years for the Alien story line is that when an alien embryo gestates inside of a creature, the resulting infant that bursts out of the chest of the host creature will have SOME of the characeristics of the host. So if these humanoid/benevolent aliens are super-duper huge then the chest-bursters will also be suoer-duper huge). The small handful of humans onboard (as guests) of this ship are running for their lives in the midst of the humanoid/benevolent aliens all going face-hugger.

The story will somehow someway end with the space ship crashing on THAT PLANET! (You all know what planet I refer to!) Somehow one of our Earthling humans has to wind down the story for us. Maybe he survives somehow and escapes to some palce where he doesn't ever achieve contact with Earth humans again. Or maybe everbody dies in the end, inclduing all of our humans. But the final result of this movie MUST show the space ship crash landed upon THAT PLANET! And then a nursery of eggs gets layed and then that nursery waits for many decades for some creature to come along and stir the mists that enshroud the eggs.

Last edited:

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I love the alien franchise. It should be tense, suspenseful, scary, with good cat and mouse scenes.

And lots of cat and mice.

We need to learn something NEW about the creatures. Something biological that we never knew about them before. Tough trick considering how much we have learned already.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
We need to learn something NEW about the creatures. Something biological that we never knew about them before. Tough trick considering how much we have learned already.

What about Alien origins? The preditors brought the eggs to earth in preditor vs alien. But we still don't know where they come from or how their planet keeps them from eating everything.

ETA: For all we know they were created in an alien laboratory, come on acid for blood? I would love to see that. What if that giant creature thing was the species that created it and they were transporting it for preditors to purchase for the hunt and they got loose?

Last edited:

TylerJones

Registered
Reaction score
The story that I'm working on is an alien origin story (the species, how the Company finds out about the aliens, and Ripley).

I'm disregarding the AvP films because they were crap in comparison to the first three "Alien" films.

But to go back and show how the alien was created.... not a bad idea.

iforgot120

Registered
Reaction score
There's not too much more to learn about cat and mice. :Huh:

TylerJones

Registered
Reaction score
I apologize for any snot-nosed comments I may have made (i.e. calling the AvP films crap).

One major character flaw I have: speaking my mind.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
The story that I'm working on is an alien origin story (the species, how the Company finds out about the aliens, and Ripley).

I'm disregarding the AvP films because they were crap in comparison to the first three "Alien" films.

But to go back and show how the alien was created.... not a bad idea.

I simply brought up something that has been brought to "knowledge" about the Aliens. It was a launching point for a still mysterious beginnings.

I would just really love to see where they came from and their whole messy start and when they're creators, if they created the aliens in a lab like setting, realized they were screwed.

ETA: Also were there perameters that were built to keep them breeding any planet into oblivion? Did they destroy that planet and make it hostile to all life, like were the alien species not transporting them, but instead picked them up on the surface much like in Alien?

TylerJones

Registered
Reaction score
I would just really love to see where they came from and their whole messy start and when they're creators, if they created the aliens in a lab like setting, realized they were screwed.

ETA: Also were there perameters that were built to keep them breeding any planet into oblivion? Did they destroy that planet and make it hostile to all life, like were the alien species not transporting them, but instead picked them up on the surface much like in Alien?

You're in luck, at least if my script gets picked up (because I only know what my script has in it at this point).

10er

Registered
Reaction score
I apologize for any snot-nosed comments I may have made (i.e. calling the AvP films crap).

One major character flaw I have: speaking my mind.

Oh please.
I daresay no one above a certain IQ could really claim the AvP movies were anything but crap, at least compared to the original franchises.
Especially the second one. Aliens in suburbia? A romantic subplot about a random dude who gets tormented by his love interest's jock acquaintances? I felt my brain melting watching that atrocity. :rant:

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Oh please.
I daresay no one above a certain IQ could really claim the AvP movies were anything but crap, at least compared to the original franchises.
Especially the second one. Aliens in suburbia? A romantic subplot about a random dude who gets tormented by his love interest's jock acquaintances? I felt my brain melting watching that atrocity. :rant:

I actually thought the first one was rather entertaining, the second was notably B grade at best. I think they could have done a heck of a lot better with it. I thought the preditor hybrid would have looked a lot cooler.

10er

Registered
Reaction score
I actually thought the first one was rather entertaining

Yes, entertaining. But the wasted potential! They could have just adopted a story arc from the countless well done graphic novels. Instead they did Resident Evil 1. With Aliens.

Alien vs. Terminator would be cool.

Wasn't there a comic? ;>_>
I'm pretty sure there was a comic.

TylerJones

Registered
Reaction score
Oh please.

That's why I've spent 3 years researching and working on my script. I just hope 1) I didn't fuck it up too much, and 2) that it gets picked up.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, entertaining. But the wasted potential! They could have just adopted a story arc from the countless well done graphic novels. Instead they did Resident Evil 1. With Aliens.

Wasn't there a comic? ;>_>
I'm pretty sure there was a comic.

Yes, definitely wasted potential but still entertaining. The second one, well that just wasted everything it had going for it.

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
The first move was a horror film. Some called it "a haunted house story set in space." It was slow, creepy, atmospheric, and the tension built very steadilly and very relentlessly up through to the end. The crafting of that kind of a story takes a very delicate hand.

The second movie was an action flick. It was a kick-ass action film from front to back with lots of scary moments of danger. Two totally different genres here. I personally believe the choice to make that sort of a leap off into the genre of action worked quite well for the sort of story they wanted to tell in that second film.

The third movie tried to return to the franchise's original roots of horror. It also tried to be slow, creepy, and atmospheric. But it didn't quite make the grade. It went for cheap-shot creepines such as multiple instances of super-tight close-ups of someone's arm getting injected by a syringe as well as other needless forays into camera-dwelling upon medical and semi-medical procedures for no other reason that to make peple feel queasy. That's not well crafted horror, that's low brow audience manipulation.

The fourth film also attempted to be a horror film. I personally feel the fourth one was only slightly better than the third, excepting that the final "horrible revelation" of the hybrid-human queen giving birth in a mammal-like way to an alien-human hybrid wasn't quite pulled off with the desired horror. Instead the spectacle of the "pregnant" queen going into labor and then moaning in the agony of birth pains actually brought unintended weirdness and even awkward comicalness to the final outcome of the story.

Alien vs. Predator was an action flick cross-bred with a slasher-killer film, and also a fan boy wish-fanatsy 10 years in the making. The fans were begging for it and they got it. As for my claim that it was also a slasher-killer film, they were dropping like flies every ten minutes in that movie. I personally do not consider that story to be part of the true canon of the Alien saga. It's a comic book-level side-excursion. The only way I would be willing to allow this into the canon would be if the character named Bishop -- found in Aliens, and also in Alien 3, and then also found in Alien vs. Predator -- was the founder of "The Company" all the way back in the earluy 21st century and therefore the knowledge of the existence of that "magnificent" creature which possessed "structural perfection" was first revealed to true founder of "The Company" via that adventure down at the South Pole. So the long-standing mandate held for centuries by "The Company" of one day finding yet another specimen of that creature --no matter what, even at the epxense of the cew-- makes perfect sense.

Alien vs. Predator Requiem. I can't comment because I never saw it.

I like the idea of "alien origins." I also like icerose's thoughts where she questions whether it's even possible for the species to have evolved on its own rather then getting artificially engineered in a lab somewhere. The very notion of a naturally-occurring eco-system of any planet anywhere in the universe allowing such a creature to evolve within its enclosed eco-system WITHOUT such a creature utterly destorying the entire planet is something I also have pondered and found non-credible. So perhaps the crashed alien space ship we saw in the very first film (with the one and only corpse of the giant-sized humanoid alien sitting in that pilot's chair -- or is it a gunner's chair? -- with his alien rib cage exploded outward) were the race that "created a monster." And perhaps the giant-sized humanoids on that ship were fleeing their own chest-burster-overrun-planet without realizing they had a stowaway egg on board.

Last edited:

Fokker Aeroplanbau

Registered
Reaction score
Website
negationcorner.blogspot.com
Requiem was so terrible, you don't even know. It was like as if one had taken the original Aliens, divided the quality by half to get Alien vs. Predator, then divided the quality of that film by half to reach Requiem. Nothing new, all bad, horrible actors 'n' almost no horror. Just random pathetic screaming without any depth. Really a horrible movie.

I like the idea of a new Alien movie, regardless. Anything is better then the last. :p

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Oh please.

AvP the movie was horrible.

But AvP the VIDEO GAME, which came out long before the movie, kicked ASS!

And here's why!

It didn't dick around in the modern age and on earth. Nope, it kept the marines from Aliens.

Also they were actually well written, and actually scary. And fun.

And playing as an alien in multiplayer was something else entirely...:e2teeth:

Also, I always thought of the second as Suspense Action.

Cause, DAMN, its like...so suspenseful.

Like, whoa.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Prequels are so cool. I can't wait until they start making prequels of the prequels.

Team 2012

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
mayancalendargirls.com
That would be the Star Wars franchise, no?

The first two Alien films were, like Terminator, a good advertisement for the idea that a sequel can strengthen, rather than betray the original. Then both tumbled on their butts with the third in the series.

On the other hand, it's possible for a franchise to shake off the clunker curse and rebound: note the Lethal Weapon series that fell about as far into the toilet as is possible, then came back with some solid stuff.

Indiana Jones Last Crusade was a sort-of prequel, wasn't it. Lots of time devoted to the young Indy.

Last edited:

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
Alien vs. Gladiator? Then they can continue the franchise throughout history until Aliens 26 arrives at the present time again.

Boy, I'm really not into remakes and franchises and reboots and all that.

Team 2012

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
mayancalendargirls.com
Some work better than others. Some remakes are better than the originals, some films are better than the book. Some TV shows are better than the movies they came from (And not just Highlander)
I'm sure there are sequels better than the original films. Toy Story 2? Wasn't Mad Max a sequel to a weaker film?
Lethal Weapon 3 was sure as hell a thousand times better than LW2.

Anywhere you start from you can do a great job or make a mess.

Pilote

Registered
Reaction score
No thanks

I don't want a prequel to Alien. The first two were incredibly good, the third one was hit and miss. Was there a fourth one because if there was I missed it. Again there is such a scarcity of ideas out there that writers are cannibalizing their own stuff and whatever else they can get their hands on.

The Terminator franchise appears to have a hit a brick wall with its recent offering even though it boasted Christian Bale. The previews alone were enough to give one a massive headache. Smaller films, better written films that's what we need or at least what I need.