I want to edit my home digital videos for YouTube. So I need a faster computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Also, what kind of vidcam do you have? Does it have firewire? To capture videos from your vidcam, your harddrives need to be fast enough as well, and that means the bus.

I have the one on the right. (But mine is black like the one on the left.)

The Flip Ultra has been heralded as the ultimate "for dummies" camera for camera-ignorant people who want to join in with the whole YouTube craze (partly why I bought it) and it's dirt cheap (the other part of why I bought it).

And I have already downloaded a bunch of my Flip Video home-videos to my computer and watched them on my computer. However, when I watch on my computer there is a huge delay between audio and video. The audio plays at normal speed, but the video lags behind with a delay of easilly 50% (a little Six Million Dollar Man action). Thus am I terrified to try and edit these things together since I cannot correctly judge where the heck to apply the scissors when I watch the clips in the editing suite that comes with the Flip Camera.

flip-ultra-mino-video-cameras.jpg

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Do you know how big the videos are? (What kind of resolution, how much space a few minutes take up?) Because I suspect it's less than more traditional video cameras, so that may mean you can get by with a less powerful machine than some of us were thinking.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Do you know how big the videos are? (What kind of resolution, how much space a few minutes take up?) Because I suspect it's less than more traditional video cameras, so that may mean you can get by with a less powerful machine than some of us were thinking.

Well ... this thread has been an education on what I probably need. Meanwhile, I had a huge financial setback a few days ago (the muffler cracked on the car) so I have to wait two more paychecks until I start Craigslisting again for a cheapo computer.

But i now feel more confident as far as just plainn knowing what kind of geeky specs I need to look for in a new/used computer.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Actually the Mac doesn't come with a video editing software, I don't think. But iLife comes with iMovie, which is decent and cheap. iMovie also exports directly to YouTube.

MovieMaker, which comes with Windows, is okay but I personally hate it with a passion.

I thought ilife and hence imovie came with all macs...it came with my work Mac and we didn't have to pay extra. (I edit youtube videos for work...so that's what I use for work)

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Well ... this thread has been an education on what I probably need. Meanwhile, I had a huge financial setback a few days ago (the muffler cracked on the car) so I have to wait two more paychecks until I start Craigslisting again for a cheapo computer.

But i now feel more confident as far as just plainn knowing what kind of geeky specs I need to look for in a new/used computer.

You can get what you need refurbished for around $400-$500 for PC's (google things like dell refurbished, and hp refurbished. )

If you decided to go Mac: you're looking at about $1000 - $4000

Deals change daily.

Just another option. I've bought a few refurbs from various companies and had good luck with them.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
If you decided to go Mac: you're looking at about $1000 - $4000.

Nah, if you go refurb or used, you can find plenty of <$1000 deals out there. But either way, I think PD had her eye on something about a tenth of that. :)

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
well sorry bout your muffler.

but i can help you get a nice future proofed computer, just build it from scratch! i priced the parts in a computer, to the price on the shelf, and it normaly comes out to be more than $100 savings.
if you know what your doing...

and don't wory about the old computer, the one i write on is a pentium 3, i put linux on it to crank out more speed

Status
Not open for further replies.