• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Writing/Critique/Feedback Partner (Or Buddy)

Trying To Be Good

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
So, I'm not trying to be in a rush for this, but this has been sitting on my computer half finished and also if this "line" will take months to get a 'tug"... I might as well cast now? Patience is easier to get results from, if you wait longer.

Hello!

I am interested in having a give and take, exchange based arrangement with another writer. My writing is currently not in a state that seems suitable to be deemed "Alpha". I have a lot of issues trying to figure out what information I can assume people will just know, and what information readers need to be shown (Because telling is mostly off the menu). I find it tricky to be certain what exactly is shocking or not, and my novel is trying to have a steady, consistent pace is "dripped" questions and answers. Some things aren't obvious enough, other things are too obvious.

In other words, I can't exactly see the plot of my work with fresh eyes. If my work was Sherlock Homes, I wouldn't be able to tell if the reader could solve the mystery (Using the clues) on time or not.

What I am willing to offer is pretty flexible. I'm willing and able to look at work that is in a pre-Alpha, Alpha, or Beta state.

We can start with 500 words at a time, back and forth. I will match whatever you have the energy for, and I am also willing to go first, and I can match a pace of twice a week to once a month.

Genres I'm Best At Reading

Okay, so I'm a hetero guy. I'm not qualified to read anything you think a hetero guy isn't qualified to read. I'm pretty decent at reading stories written by women, that have a heavy focus on the self-actualization of the main female character.

I'm aware that a lot of the market, demand and supply, is romance. I am absolutely not qualified for that.

I have some hiccups with fantasy that I find too predictable (Anything modern, future, is going to be fine. Ask if me if you're not sure, for any other kind of fantasy). I also absolutely can't do horror at this point of my life. If the main character is a manipulator evil person, I'm not right for that either.

Westerns are great. Sci-fi of many kinds are great (I know dozens of sub-genres). Anything suspense, crime, detective, or triller is great. I struggle with reading action, but I've read 100 pages of an action thriller recently, and it wasn't that tricky. Historical is my thing. I specialize in near-future or near-past.

At of this moment I can't think of anything else. If you're not sure if I'll be up for something, just ask.

My process

My process as a critiquer/feedback person, and what I bring to the table.

I don't pretend to understand the ups and downs of grammar, so I am unlikely to correct your grammar. I might run something that looks odd to me through software and tell you what I think I understand, or the software tells me.

I will, however, let you know if anything at all confuses me. If I get lost or the punctuation leaves me unsure what is going on, I will tell you. If it's not clear who is talking or you have two "shes" interacting and I can't tell who is stabbing who, I will tell you.

I go line by line or paragraph by paragraph. I was taught this method first, it's all I know. In the past people have responded well to knowing that certain "beats" are hitting, and that certain things were picked up upon.

After reading like 2K words or something, if I ever get to that point, I like to critique or give feedback about the characters, prose, setting, and things like that. I have a chart, I was raised up on the chart.

Conclusion
If you are confused, in any way, just ask a question. If you aren't sure if something is suitable or what I mean, just ask right away.

If you are nervous or uncertain, I believe it's possible for us to work something out.

I'll add to this if I think of something I forgot or someone mentions that I forgot something...

Thanks for reading!

writer316

hitchhiking across the novel-craft galaxy
Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I think we could set up a swap. I've beta-read for several folks before. Current WIP is YA science fantasy (there's a sorta romance element, but it's not conventional romance romance).

Reactions: Trying To Be Good

Trying To Be Good

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I think we could set up a swap. I've beta-read for several folks before. Current WIP is YA science fantasy (there's a sorta romance element, but it's not conventional romance romance).
Well, we can do a test run, and work from there, bit by bit.

Just Private/Direct Message an excerpt, can be the start of something (Novel, short story, ect ec) or a part you've got questions about.

If you don't want to cut and paste, or excerpt, you can send like a chapter or something, but I'm going to start with just the first 500 words.

Rob kagan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noahsrejects.com
So, I'm not trying to be in a rush for this, but this has been sitting on my computer half finished and also if this "line" will take months to get a 'tug"... I might as well cast now? Patience is easier to get results from, if you wait longer.

Hello!

I am interested in having a give and take, exchange based arrangement with another writer. My writing is currently not in a state that seems suitable to be deemed "Alpha". I have a lot of issues trying to figure out what information I can assume people will just know, and what information readers need to be shown (Because telling is mostly off the menu). I find it tricky to be certain what exactly is shocking or not, and my novel is trying to have a steady, consistent pace is "dripped" questions and answers. Some things aren't obvious enough, other things are too obvious.

In other words, I can't exactly see the plot of my work with fresh eyes. If my work was Sherlock Homes, I wouldn't be able to tell if the reader could solve the mystery (Using the clues) on time or not.

What I am willing to offer is pretty flexible. I'm willing and able to look at work that is in a pre-Alpha, Alpha, or Beta state.

We can start with 500 words at a time, back and forth. I will match whatever you have the energy for, and I am also willing to go first, and I can match a pace of twice a week to once a month.

Genres I'm Best At Reading

Okay, so I'm a hetero guy. I'm not qualified to read anything you think a hetero guy isn't qualified to read. I'm pretty decent at reading stories written by women, that have a heavy focus on the self-actualization of the main female character.

I'm aware that a lot of the market, demand and supply, is romance. I am absolutely not qualified for that.

I have some hiccups with fantasy that I find too predictable (Anything modern, future, is going to be fine. Ask if me if you're not sure, for any other kind of fantasy). I also absolutely can't do horror at this point of my life. If the main character is a manipulator evil person, I'm not right for that either.

Westerns are great. Sci-fi of many kinds are great (I know dozens of sub-genres). Anything suspense, crime, detective, or triller is great. I struggle with reading action, but I've read 100 pages of an action thriller recently, and it wasn't that tricky. Historical is my thing. I specialize in near-future or near-past.

At of this moment I can't think of anything else. If you're not sure if I'll be up for something, just ask.

My process

My process as a critiquer/feedback person, and what I bring to the table.

I don't pretend to understand the ups and downs of grammar, so I am unlikely to correct your grammar. I might run something that looks odd to me through software and tell you what I think I understand, or the software tells me.

I will, however, let you know if anything at all confuses me. If I get lost or the punctuation leaves me unsure what is going on, I will tell you. If it's not clear who is talking or you have two "shes" interacting and I can't tell who is stabbing who, I will tell you.

I go line by line or paragraph by paragraph. I was taught this method first, it's all I know. In the past people have responded well to knowing that certain "beats" are hitting, and that certain things were picked up upon.

After reading like 2K words or something, if I ever get to that point, I like to critique or give feedback about the characters, prose, setting, and things like that. I have a chart, I was raised up on the chart.

Conclusion
If you are confused, in any way, just ask a question. If you aren't sure if something is suitable or what I mean, just ask right away.

If you are nervous or uncertain, I believe it's possible for us to work something out.

I'll add to this if I think of something I forgot or someone mentions that I forgot something...

Thanks for reading!
Hi - I am new to this forum. I have written one book and working on my second. My writers' group fell apart and I really leaned on it for feedback during my writing process. And so I have gone looking for another one...and found this group.

All of your information sounds good to me. I do wish you were better at grammar as I need help there, too. But Grammarly is doing fine for me so far until I get this "thing" to an editor.

My current novel is about the craziness of summer camp in the 70s. It is not really a "meatballs" kind of project. I am trying to get a really good representation of what that time was really like and how special, but at the same time toxic it was.

So what is next?

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi - I am new to this forum. I have written one book and working on my second. My writers' group fell apart and I really leaned on it for feedback during my writing process. And so I have gone looking for another one...and found this group.

All of your information sounds good to me. I do wish you were better at grammar as I need help there, too. But Grammarly is doing fine for me so far until I get this "thing" to an editor.

My current novel is about the craziness of summer camp in the 70s. It is not really a "meatballs" kind of project. I am trying to get a really good representation of what that time was really like and how special, but at the same time toxic it was.

So what is next?
You're responding to a Banned member, who may or may not see your post.

Once you have 50+ posts, you can start your own thread requesting a beta reader/crit partner/etc.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rob, can I ask that you take the time to get a feel for the site to prevent further missteps? You're not in trouble or anything, and we hope to keep it that way.

We have pretty much everything the writer needs here (and then some!), but if you look in the cupboard and the topmost drawer, you won't find the Fudgsicles.

Start with the Newbie Guide, then the FAQs. (There's a zillion, posted over a period of decades; we're in the process of consolidating.) Take your time browsing whatever boards interest you. (It's not just writing we have in common.) Of particular interest are the Share Your Work board for any genre you read or write and the Beta Readers, Mentors, and Writing Buddies board. While members need 50 substantive posts to put their requests for feedback at those boards, new arrivals are welcome--and encouraged--to offer feedback as soon as they've read enough to feel comfortable with what's expected of them.

Maryn, handing over the welcoming Fudgsicle

Rob kagan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noahsrejects.com

Once you have 50+ posts, you can start your own thread requesting a beta reader/crit partner/etc.
A banned member? Is there an easy way to tell if a member is no longer active?

And sorry for the misstep. Just getting the feel for things. Have jumped on a few threads already to answer questions like...what is your first line....

Rob kagan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noahsrejects.com
Rob, can I ask that you take the time to get a feel for the site to prevent further missteps? You're not in trouble or anything, and we hope to keep it that way.

We have pretty much everything the writer needs here (and then some!), but if you look in the cupboard and the topmost drawer, you won't find the Fudgsicles.

Start with the Newbie Guide, then the FAQs. (There's a zillion, posted over a period of decades; we're in the process of consolidating.) Take your time browsing whatever boards interest you. (It's not just writing we have in common.) Of particular interest are the Share Your Work board for any genre you read or write and the Beta Readers, Mentors, and Writing Buddies board. While members need 50 substantive posts to put their requests for feedback at those boards, new arrivals are welcome--and encouraged--to offer feedback as soon as they've read enough to feel comfortable with what's expected of them.

Maryn, handing over the welcoming Fudgsicle
Sounds good. Sorry. There is a lot here and it is going to take me a while to get the hang of the site. I will retreat to the newbie guide and intro page. Thanks.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent. You can ask any moderator if you have questions that aren't addressed, but the FAQs cover 95% of them.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A banned member? Is there an easy way to tell if a member is no longer active?

And sorry for the misstep. Just getting the feel for things. Have jumped on a few threads already to answer questions like...what is your first line....

Look for the bright red banner that says BANNED on their post profile (that box on the left where the member's avatar and other information are.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I’m going to lock this for now. If Trying returns and wants it open, just send me a Convo & I’ll open it back up

Update 11/21: unlocked at OP’s request

Last edited:

Rob kagan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noahsrejects.com
Look for the bright red banner that says BANNED on their post profile (that box on the left where the member's avatar and other information are.
I just looked at the post at the top of this thread and it does not say BANNED anywhere....in all caps or not.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just looked at the post at the top of this thread and it does not say BANNED anywhere....in all caps or not.

@Rob kagan, as Helix said, the member in question is no longer banned.

Banning can be permanent or temporary, as determined by the board's mods/owner, or it can be self-imposed. Members may ask for a self-ban if they need to focus on their writing or other projects, or otherwise determine that they should spend time away from the board. In any of those cases, the red "banned" banner will appear. When I responded to your post back in October, the red "banned" banner was in place.

For more information, there's this thread in our FAQ section: Bans

Last edited: