• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Writing Buddy/Crit Partner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for a writing buddy/crit partner. I would like someone very serious about writing/discussing writing on a regular basis. I'd like to set up some guidelines (and/or new guidelines for any piece exchanged) and have some sort of contact at a minimum of once a week. More often would be better. I could do as much as once a day if it's not a heavy amount every time.

I'm working on a novel that is in first draft-ish stage and I'm trying to keep focus and keep on working. I'm happy to read short stories, flash pieces, or novels or even query letters (but I have no experience with those.) I have (older and a few newer) crits on here and some of my work (a couple of short stories and the beginning of the novel I'm working on, plus a complete revision so anyone can see how and how long I take to revise). I also have short pieces to exchange, but I don't want to go too far that direction as I don't want to lose focus on the novel. I would also love to do word wars, prompts and will happily brainstorm for any times anyone was stuck.

I have a fair amount of crit experience, both here (some time back, so if you're searching my posts you'll notice I was very active for awhile and have only recently started posting again) and on critters. I am unpublished so everything I have to say comes from the "reader" side. But I really want to be published and want to connect with people in the same place as me. I've tried this before once or twice and it tends to fizzle out - nobody sends any work or comments and off it goes. For critique style, I try to find the things I like and the things that I don't. I won't say I like something if I don't really. And I work to make crits useful within my current abilities and knowledge-base. Not super harsh, but not really easy-going either. I won't suggest rewriting anything to suit my tastes or go overboard with 'how to fix this' (other than grammar/spelling, etc) - just point out where I have issues.

I read and write primarily fantasy. My favorite authors are Zelazny, Tim Powers, Neil Gaiman, Stephen King, T. C. Boyle, Patrick Rothfuss, Tanith Lee, and Kate Griffin (currently reading Minority Council). Lies of Locke Lamora is high on my tbr list, but I don't have it yet. I do more magic realism/urban fantasy, modern fantasy, post-apocalyptic than high fantasy or the like. I can read anything fantasy, soft or light science fiction, horror, and mystery. Young adult or even juvenile is fine (I've read and enjoyed Harry Potter and Hunger Games, Uglies and Cinder). Some romance in a fantasy setting is fine. I don't do military, historical, or literary (unless you count TC Boyle and I have no education or background in it), primarily romance or anything beyond light erotica (I could read and enjoy Anne Rice, Laurell Hamilton got to be too much for me after so far in Anita Blake and I could never read Merry whatever-her-name-is). I'm iffy on high-fantasy (sometimes), very scientific science fiction is probably over my head and vampires, werewolves, and hobbits need some clear world-building but if they have them are fine :)

I'm an older person but newer to serious writing. Unpublished as I said. No workshops or degree course in English. I don't know what a mentor is and don't want to "grow" anyone. Being grown sounds like it could be helpful, but my grandkids would find that amusing I'm sure :) My humor tends to be sarcasm and literary type stuff, or in-jokes and as it's not well understand I don't generally joke around much. I'm a pretty serious person all-in-all :)

I know this is long, but I'm trying to be really clear what I'm looking for and hoping all the information will help find people that are looking for the same/similar things so it doesn't fizzle out :)

Nice to meet you. Thanks for reading through if you got this far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.