• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Use of a line from a song

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn Parsons

Registered
Reaction score
Folks, Has anyone used a line from a song in their published writings. I have two lines from the Johnny Cash song "Ring of Fire" in my novel entitled "Night Fishing". The first line used is, "I fell into a burning ring of fire" and the second is, of course, "I went down, down, down and the flames went higher." Thes two lines work perfectly for the scene I have constructed. Do I need to try to get permission to use these? I am hoping that just using a small part of an entire song does not require permission from whomever owns the copyright. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated! Glenn

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Folks, Has anyone used a line from a song in their published writings. I have two lines from the Johnny Cash song "Ring of Fire" in my novel entitled "Night Fishing". The first line used is, "I fell into a burning ring of fire" and the second is, of course, "I went down, down, down and the flames went higher." Thes two lines work perfectly for the scene I have constructed. Do I need to try to get permission to use these? I am hoping that just using a small part of an entire song does not require permission from whomever owns the copyright. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated! Glenn
We can't give legal advice here, but it's my understanding that yes, you need permission. Ask an attorney to be sure.

JoeySL

Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, I asked The Hooters in an e-mail exchange if I may use one of their lines, and they were very generous about it. It's one of my favorite memories about said book. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.