unimpressed with zeotrope

scriptwriter74

Sirius
Registered
Reaction score
I had my screen play on the site for 4 weeks with 1 review and 11 reads. I found out quickly that the old timers on the site only review their buddies and kept their tiny clique in the highly read and reviewed pile. I would pass on this site.

zeprosnepsid

Registered
Reaction score
To get good readers anywhere in the industry you have to make contacts. It's not like good readers come for free. It would probably do you better in the long run to post more on Zoetrope and make those connections and/or make them in person in LA or you're never going to get a good read from anyone.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Zoetrope strikes me as a place where you only get out a piece of what you put into it. So if you aren't putting much of anything in it you aren't going to see anything out of it.

I could be wrong though.

Hillgate

On location
Registered
Reaction score
Zoetrope strikes me as a place where you only get out a piece of what you put into it. So if you aren't putting much of anything in it you aren't going to see anything out of it.

I could be wrong though.

You're right. The way to get some critique on your own script is to critique a number of others first and do it well. You can tell a lot about someone by the manner in which they critique. It makes them more of a persona and then, just as in character development, you have a living breathing person who sounds like they might be able to write something good which then makes you more likely to read it.

I only read a whole script from a recognisable source because there are so many scripts out there that unfortunately it's the first cut.

curious1980

Registered
Reaction score
All of the above are correct. It's actually the same on here. People will not provide advice if they see that you are not an active member. On top of that, critiquing others work will help you to figure out what's wrong with your own. It's helped me a lot.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
I understand your frustration. I have on my live scripts there 8 reads and one review, and 11 reads and 2 reviews, respectively. But I can't imagine it's cliquishness so much as guys just lose interest. OTOH after reading enough, you get to know people and you look forward to certain writers putting their next work out. As it should be.
Readers fill their plate very fast and if you don't hook them right off the bat, you're out. That goes for the Zoe / TS fans, and that goes for pro readers.
And most newby reviewers, like new writers, are essentially useless. You know, the ones who you can almost see counting the words to 200. One guy eMailed me insisting I should review his script and that he would reciprocate if I did. I got my review and my point, no reacharound from other author. There's a guy that'll do good in Hollywood. :(
The best reviewers pace themselves and keep a positive attitude. I tell myself that if I catch a stinker, I can at least tell the author in very acute detail why their script stinks and they can use that to improve. I would want the same for myself. At least TS has a system where it almost forces you to try different authors, where with Zoe you can target your selections more.

Last edited:

Judsia

Registered
Reaction score
I'm on Zoetrope. I'd be happy to critique your script if it's still live. Pm with the title.

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
When I review something whether it be scripts or stories, I don't usually check to see who the author is. I find a title that looks interesting. I also take time to review people who reviewed me, but I always leave time to check out something new, so at least with me cliqueness shouldn't be an issue. I pretty much agree with the others. The best reviews I got where from people who got something (a crit or advice) from me first, so giving something before expecting a crit from someone else really does help.

ComicBent

Registered
Reaction score
Scripts and Zoetrope

I check every logline that goes up on Zoetrope. (Okay, maybe I miss a few every once in a while, but I see nearly all of them.)

Your script is probably not live anymore.

However, I will read the first 12-15 pages of it, and will read the whole thing if it grabs me. I'll send you my thoughts in any case. If I read the whole thing, I will send some notes. I do not make this kind of offer to everybody.

If you want, send it to me by email attachment. If you are using the Windows operating system, I would prefer to have the original script, in whatever program you used (any of these: FinalDraft 8 or earlier, Screenwriter 6 or earlier, Word, RTF, OpenOffice.org, WordPerfect). Don't send Word 2007, which is a different format.

If you used a Mac, send a PDF.

You can click on my ComicBent profile to send me an email.

padnar

Registered
Reaction score
Even I had one review, though I had done many reviews for others. I was feeling bad probably a crossover did not appeal. Somebody suggested me to approach them seperately than I got about four reviews which I have saved.Another fact is 120 mts is really bothersome . I feel 20 mts is ok
padma

ricetalks

Registered
Reaction score
I think Zeotrope is a good idea. An independent website that is free where the members review each other's material.

It's a good idea for Zeotrope in that it is a site that is self-controlling. They can have access to original material, unknown writers and it runs intself. They don't have to pay a staff to read unsolicited material. It all read for them and reviewed by the members. A good place to get feedback. I grant you, it can only work as well as the members who belong are willing to put in the time and read each others materials and comment back with helpful criticism.

ComicBent

Registered
Reaction score
Zoetrope

Just in case anyone else posts in this thread ...

It is Zoetrope, folks.

ricetalks

Registered
Reaction score
Just a note about Zoetrope. You also have to be careful. I got some comments that seemed to be from out in left field as far as screenplay format goes. It really had me questioning my format. I was wondering, have things changed that much insofar as format goes for a spec script that my format is completely out of line?

I have 21 reads on that site and only 3 reviews so far. Two of the reviews rated the screenplay as very good and excellent and then one guy came along and slammed my format as being "wildly all over the map". I was left thinking that maybe I'm out in left field.

killbox

More often than not...
Registered
Reaction score
Zoetrope really isn't based around cliques. There may be a few, but the majority of reads are going to be based on how interesting your description is, your page count, maybe your bio etc.

For example- your script "Fried Shrimp" that is about a lonely Shrimp named Tartar who goes on a perilous mission to save his family (and weighs in at 137 pages) isn't going to garner many reads. And actually that example may be giving a lot of Zoetrope writers too much credit as that actually sounds more interesting than a lot of other concepts.

I enjoy the site, its work but you can get some great feedback.

ricetalks

Registered
Reaction score
I did read a really good script on that site called Fetch. It was a comedy about a serial killer who trained his Jack Russell Terrier to pick up woman and bring them home.