Thor Love and Thunder

mschenk2016

Registered
Reaction score
Saw this last night in IMAX 3D and loved it. Some of the reviews are calling it disappointing. Well they're wrong, again. I highly enjoyed it. Good story, great performance from Christian Bale, amazing visuals, and some laugh out loud moments. I heard there's a 4-hour director's cut that's supposed to be even funnier, but Marvel wants to keep all their movies around 2 hours.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It was lots of fun. I get some of the complaints, disagree with others. It was a pretty short Marvel movie, so there was room to grow, but it was enjoyable to watch, & I even got teary in there.

The climax paralleled two Buffy season finales, & I wonder how much of a fan Taika Waititi was.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Good performances all round, particularly from Portman and Bale, but overall I found it slight and unsatisfying. Though I would say I enjoyed it at the time. I just struggle to remember much about it...

Ragnarok surprised the hell out of me with just how bonkers and technicolour the whole thing was. This time round, the surprise has gone, and at times it felt like they were trying so hard to be zany that it risked being annoying. I think they just about skated that line safely, but ymmv.

Ink-Soul

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolehidalgoauthor.com
I really, really wished I had enjoyed Love and Thunder seeing as how Gorr is one of my favourite Marvel villains. But I pretty much detested it. The story butchered the God Butcher. He wasn't 10% of the threat he was supposed to be. All the conversations between him and Thor(s) that led to some interesting philosophical discussions about the presence and action of gods were scrapped in favour of... well, jokes, of course. Such a bland story.

I love Taika Waititi's other films, but I can't connect with his work in the MCU. To be honest, I think I'm losing connection with the MCU as a whole.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It felt like two or three films shmooshed together rather poorly. About halfway through I realized that I wasn’t paying much attention.

anaemic_mind

I come with accessories now
Registered
Reaction score
Watched this last night with hubby and tall and we all loved it. Laughed out loud and rewound some of the funnier parts. Could've done with some different music though. Was a bit GN'R heavy, which I'm not unhappy about, they're one of my fave bands. But it got a bit samey in the action moments as a result.

Reactions: lizmonster

Catriona Grace

Mind the thorns
Registered
Reaction score
Twelve year old grandson wanted to see it so we went last night. It was sufficiently bad to be enjoyable, but not the kind of truly magnificently BAD that makes me want to watch it over and over.

Reactions: Introversion