The Slender Man "Mythos"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Or more like an internet meme turned into fabricated online mythology, I just heard about this and find it really intriguing. It's pretty recent, dating just back to June 2009.

Basically a "turn normal pictures into paranormal pictures" photoshop contest on the something awful forums got an entry from a member creating a story and image of a "slender man," a tall humanoid abomination who appears to be wearing a suit and walks on finger-like tendrils who kidnaps kids.

GW500H642

The story then just sort of grew organically in the forums and the rest of the web, with people taking the character and adapting him to fit their own online stories. There's this alt reality, false document style online youtube series called "Marble Hornets" that's supposed to be really creepy, though I haven't gotten around to it yet. The character already has a pretty healthy TV Tropes entry, has been brought up on a lot of horror forums, etc. A google search of "slender man" brings up nothing but character specific hits for the first several pages.

I find the idea of an accidentally created horror character that started off as a somewhat silly little internet contest entry rather fascinating. Anyone else heard of this?

Last edited:

cathyfreeze

I lost my fever! I need it back!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
wow, cool! ::eek:ff to peruse::

cat

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Never heard of it, so thanks. (For the nightmares).

icenine

Registered
Reaction score
This slender man stuff reminds me of a story by Brian Lumley, called The Thin People or something like that.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
It reminds me of the black-eyed children. Granted, the original story behind that is supposed to be true so it's impossible to tell, but I'd be willing to bet oh...every story I've read about them sense was probably invented. It was a nifty story, though, if anyone's looking for a fun novel topic. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.