• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Something Different...

Status
Not open for further replies.

quixote100104

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings :),

This is perhaps a bit unusual here, and I hope I'm not stepping out of line. My aplologies if I am.

I run Star Trek "simms", a hybrid of role-playing games and collaborative writing. Like RPGs, most members take on specific characters and write from their perspective in the larger storyline, which is managed by the central moderator. Unlike RPGs, there is no task resolution system (dice, etc), which demands a high degree of courtesy and cooperation among members of the group to make it work. It's not easy to make work in a group, but when it does work, the results are pretty good in my experiance...and I've been doing it for about 10 years.

Writing load is fairly light. I like to see a minimum of one post of a couple of paragraphs from each person per week, though even this isn't always achieved. We all have RW lives that take priority, or should anyway. There is no maximum, other than not running off and totally leaving the group behind. Hooked up with a good partner, I've written as much as 10-20,000 words in a week in my spare time. Not often, but it's happened.

I'm currently developing a group to write in the early 2370s (mostly DS9, season 2+ for you Trekkers out there), with the intent of exploring the issues around the lead up to the Dominion War and it's huge challenges to Trek norms. That group hasn't started writing yet, as it's still in development.

I have a simm currently operating aboard a Defiant class ship circa 2387 (roughly 12 years after the Dominion War), exploring the differences between service on board these cramped, under-crewed gunboats as opposed to duty on the more grandiose starships and stations.

I could particularly use writers with a RW interest or background in science (especially space science) and medicine, as these are weak areas of mine. I also have a sub-setting in mind that would benefit greatly from someone with interest/background in oceanography and/or cetacean studies.

This is not a commercial writing gig, just a hobby, although I would certianly be open to related collaborative ventures with the right person. I never seem to get anywhere writing on my own but seem to do better in collaboration.

Just wanted to throw it out there to the group, see if anyone was interested. A couple of years back, I got the best simmer I ever worked with from a similiar post here on AWWC :). He, BTW, had only a casual interest in Trek and none at all in online simming/RPing when he came aboard!

Thanks,

Mark Beatty

Status
Not open for further replies.