Sequels

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
I have this debate daily in my head because my WIP is the first in a series. I plan on querying it next year (if/when it's done) but at the same time I'm still not sure I should query it. Maybe I should put it to one side when it's done and write a single standalone to try and nab an agent. Partly because I worry about getting a deal for a series but also because I've pantsed what I've got so far. Publishing book one before any of the other three are done scares me rigid because then I can't change something in it to suit a new plot idea in one of the future books.
I've written three books in a series and held off querying the first book, and I'm glad I did. After I wrote the second and third books, I've come back to the first and still had the flexibility to change what I needed to fit the series.

Although my example is somewhat different because each of the three books can both begin and end the series, or be standalones. Each one has a different protagonist and there's a ten year gap between each book.

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
When I had two volumes, or four volumes, I wrote them all, then I published them all. You can see in my signature which are series and which are individual books.

Well, in two other cases, after my first volume (or first two) I had no idea, at the beginning, that there will be more.

But in the case of a first volume, a second one followed as a sudden inspiration after publishing the first one (and at 20+ years after I wrote the first draft of the first volume) and some short stories inspired me afterwards (which were published first in literary magazines, then in a short stories volume with unrelated stories, but they will be regrouped in another, third volume, with 2-3 more stories added with the same characters from the now two volumes set.)

In the case of having written the first two volumes (which were not each volume independently read, it was the same story from the beginning to the end), my literary mentor (and the publisher's wife) persuaded me to write a third volume, when I was not too convinced I would. And 5 years later, I re-published a second edition, revised and completed, which made them four volumes in the series, each one individually readable, and with a streamlined chronology. This time, I published them only after all were complete, and if I ever have a series again, I will write it all, then wait to publish them together. I think it is the best so, both for the quality and consistency of the books and for the readers. Many people do not like series only because they have to wait a lot until the writer decides to publish the sequel (or the publisher to translate the next volumes, if international writer).

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Publishing book one before any of the other three are done scares me rigid because then I can't change something in it to suit a new plot idea in one of the future books.
I just encountered the perfect example of why it's a good idea to hold back on publishing until you've finished the trilogy / series.

In book 2, I have one of my characters receive a message from her secret lover - it's sent on a note by falcon, but part of me is thinking, hmm, that's risky. Anyone could intercept a falcon. Wouldn't they also employ some sort of cipher or secret code?

And bam. I just found the perfect opportunity to introduce that code in book 1, where another character receives a message by falcon. It always struck me as quite blase of the big bad to send such a message by such a risky method, even though it's the quickest way and the message is urgent. But putting it in code makes perfect sense, and now I can establish much earlier a really important aspect of the novel: spycraft.

I'm annoyed with myself that I didn't see this sooner, as it makes a pivotal scene at the end of book 1 give that 'aha!' moment when you realise, of COURSE the message is written in secret code, duh! We've already established that's a thing!

More work for me, but if I'd published book 1 already, I wouldn't be able to make it better :)

MJG_Write

WriteTeachSleep
Registered
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Okay, so here's my experience with writing a sequel as someone who is getting traditionally published with a trilogy.

When my agent informed me of the offer in January '22 for Sky's End, I immediately started brainstorming the sequel. I had not written anything for it though because I didn't want to waste my time on a sequel for a first book that maybe wouldn't sell. Well, once it sold, I knew that because the Sky's End concludes in a way that. . . well . . . people are going to be really interested in reading more (I HOPE!)

Anyway, my publisher only offered on the first book, so I started working on the sequel because it was what I wanted to work on, and because I was hoping the first book would end up doing well enough to warrant a sequel. Well, in the middle of last year, while I was plugging away at the sequel, my editor started leaving little hints about wanting a sequel and potentially working with me for more than just one book. Then in September, he outright asked for the sequel, and an outline for the third book.

was ecstatic, but I knew I had to nail the sequel. So, I took my time. Went through a round with my beta readers and my agent. Then, I sent off the sequel to my editor in February. Once he got to it, he read it in like three days. Told me he was taking it to acquisitions on a Friday and the next Tuesday, he sent in the offer for the next two books in the series, as well as an option for a potential continuation in the Skylands--either a sequel or whatever else I'd like it to be.

When I was querying, I never worked on a sequel foir any of my books outside of writing a sample chapter just to jot down some of my ideas. It just seemed too risky, but I always feel like it's important to follow your heart and your passion. I took a risk writing my sequel, and it paid off. It doesn't always, though.

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
My second trad published novel (YA SF) was designed as the first part of a series (each one self-contained, but continuous). I mapped out the second novel and outlined the third, but decided to hold off to see what sales were like first. Good decision, as it was only a modest seller despite being a fabulous novel :)

I'm currently trying to get an agent for a crime thriller, which is also the first of a proposed series. Book two is ready to be written, but again I'm not going to type a word until the first one is a success or I get a multi-book deal.

It's nice to dream!

Reactions: Clovitide