Obama's Plan for Gay Rights - (Wherein Haskins Eats Crow)

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Something got done today.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article6524410.ece

Many of our government’s hardworking and dedicated and patriotic public servants have long been denied basic rights that their colleagues enjoyed for one simple reason: the people that they love are of the same sex,” Mr Obama said before signing an order to extend benefits for federal workers’ gay partners.

Now, if I could just add my elderly aunt to my employer-based coverage, Medicare would have one less enrollee.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Since the WH has set the precedent of not reading bills before they pass them, they have moved on to not writing them at all, I guess!

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
Obama excluded Health benefits because he had to. That'll go to congress.

It's a small step in really no direction. It's not what the gay community is really interested in, either, I don't think. But this isn't discouraging. Just not a lot of action, either.

AMC

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Since the WH has set the precedent of not reading bills before they pass them, they have moved on to not writing them at all, I guess!

This administration now holds the record for lies, and it's not even six months old. They lie so much they're inventing new ways to lie.

Man, I can't wait to hear the denials coming out of this POTUS.

"I have shut down Gitmo, as promised."

"But, Mr. POTUS, there are still over a hundred detainees there."

"No, there aren't."

"But your Sec of Defense stated only moments ago that there are still detainees there, so how can you say you closed Gitmo?"

"I didn't say that."

"Yes, you did, just a few seconds ago."

"I did not."

"But you did!"

"Nope. Not me."

"I've got it on video tape!"

"It's a fake."

"So Gitmo is still open?"

"I don't think you understand your own question."

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
It's a small step in really no direction. It's not what the gay community is really interested in, either, I don't think. But this isn't discouraging.

Exactly. Effective steps, however small, in the right direction, are not to be denigrated. Compare this to Bill Clinton's ridiculous "Don't ask, don't tell" crap for the U.S. military.

We move forward, and it won't be without obstacles or missteps, either.

caw

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The president's "new move on the gay rights issue" is simply a few crumbs for the starving...

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
While I agree that Obama's actions for gay rights have not yet hit the mark he promised, it's also important to understand that he is a man walking a tight rope over this divided nation. Although many people - myself included - think time is long past for gays to enjoy equal rights matching those of married hetro couples - there is also a large element who still thinks homosexuality is a sin, gays are wrong, and the whole nine yards.

Obama has to be President for everyone and he's trying to please everyone.

He just needs to listen to Rick Nelson sing "Garden Party" a few more times and he'll understand that you can't please everyone so you've got to please yourself but it's all right now, learned my lesson well.......

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
the notion that the american people, the conservative subset of the american people or soldiers themselves are against the repeal of DADT has been debunked numerous times in numerous threads now.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
While I agree that Obama's actions for gay rights have not yet hit the mark he promised, it's also important to understand that he is a man walking a tight rope over this divided nation. Although many people - myself included - think time is long past for gays to enjoy equal rights matching those of married hetro couples - there is also a large element who still thinks homosexuality is a sin, gays are wrong, and the whole nine yards.

Obama has to be President for everyone and he's trying to please everyone.

He just needs to listen to Rick Nelson sing "Garden Party" a few more times and he'll understand that you can't please everyone so you've got to please yourself but it's all right now, learned my lesson well.......

the notion that the american people, the conservative subset of the american people or soldiers themselves are against the repeal of DADT has been debunked numerous times in numerous threads now.
Yes, and it's getting boring, watching people ignore that debunking and claim that he's only moving cautiously because he has to.

"Massa's really a good man at heart. He doesn't mean to keep us down, it's just the way things are. He'll be better one day, if I just hang in there."

Last edited:

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
Although many people - myself included - think time is long past for gays to enjoy equal rights matching those of married hetro couples - there is also a large element who still thinks homosexuality is a sin, gays are wrong, and the whole nine yards.

That's just it, though. They don't mind telling me what and what not to do with my life, but I expect if the shoe was on the other foot, they'd be complaining too.

If they would just let go a little bit and work on protecting the American people from others, instead of protecting the American people from themselves, I'd be a little less disheartened with government.

Captshady

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
If they would just let go a little bit and work on protecting the American people from others, instead of protecting the American people from themselves, I'd be a little less disheartened with government.

That's it exactly, they're charged with protecting freedoms, not limiting them, or defining them.