Newbie Question

George Washington

Hey this may be a dumb question but I was curious. How much detail do we have to explain in a script? For example, if I wanted to write a movie that took place in the 1920s. If I wanted to describe somebody taking out his gun and pointing it out at somebody which one would be better? Or are both acceptable?

JOHNNY SPINNER takes out his pistol and points it at BILLY GRIMMER.

or

JOHNNY SPINNER takes out his 6.35 calibre pocket pistol and points it at BILLY GRIMMER.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
No need to describe stuff if the descriptions themselves are not critical to the plot.

And... if there is only one character named "Johnny" in the entire script (or in that one scene for that matter), no need to bother calling him "Johnny Spinner" since "Johnny" will do just fine. Ditto if there's only one "Billy" --you needn't stipulate that it was "Billy Grimmer." (And on THAT subject, the only time I saw multiple characters of the same first name in a GOOD script was "Buckaroo Bonzai" where all the aliens went by the first name of "John.")

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I'd certainly differentiate between various weapons like a revolver, a rifle, a Tommy gun, etc. but caliber and exact size aren't really needed, they just slow down the read. Then again, you could use the caliber as the name of the gun, e.g. Johnny points his .45 at Billy's nose, thumbs back the hammer.

If you haven't already, check out the screenwriting tips thread which has links to sites with free scripts for educational purposes.

-Derek

scripter1

Article Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Kitchen table, parked in front of the computer.
Do detail

when details CHANGE the course of the story OR a character.

If you have a battle and some guy gets slashed across the face and it scars him for life and we are going to recognize him BY THAT SCAR then include the slash.

If a guy usually carries a monster gun BUT for some reason has to suddenly pull one of those dinky little hide in your purse derringers then yes, you need to indicate that.

Most of the time I would say that caliber doesn't matter BUT again if it is VITAL part of your story then include it.

In one of my scripts the serial killer antag breaks into the female protag's house.
She has only the weapons on display in her husband's gun cabinet.
A double barelled shot gun and a .22 rifle.
She can't find the shells but she finds a clip of .22 bullets.
She pops that in and when the antag busts down the door she just keeps popping him.
See, the point isn't to blow him away, the .22's are just like bee stings, they annoy him at first. BUT she has a whole clip and she just keeps pulling the trigger and the damage adds up.

Each shot is like her exacting revenge for what he's put her through.
So, I CHOSE a small caliber bullet.
It's important to the story.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Well yeah, but in the context of the question being asked, you wouldn't just sprinkle "she picks up the .22 rifle" and "she aims the .22 rifle" throughout the narrative. You'd tell the viewing audience that this is a .22 rifle -- for example by showing the ammunition box, or by having a character say something about a .22 rifle, "You'll be lucky if you can bring down a cat with that .22 pop-gun." Thereafter it just needs to be known as "the rifle." Yes? No? :)

-Derek

scripter1

Article Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Kitchen table, parked in front of the computer.
Well,

the gun doesn't show up all that often in the script.

I show the gun cabinet, explain that there are three guns in it, the shotgun, a rifle, and a muzzle loader.

And then there is a scene where she goes to the rifle range and shoots the rifle. Yeah, I do refer to it as just the rifle.

During the actual scene though I DO mention the caliber, just to make sure the SFX department gets the wounds right.

The line goes something like "She digs through the ammo, finds a clip.
.22's"

Not sure if there is a line about how useless 22's are but it might be a good idea.

hubbabubbs

Registered
Reaction score
Personally I am fine with “pistol” in the given example.

I’d definitely mention if it’s a muzzle loader since these can be a tad unwieldy to reload, especially when being pummeled by a pissed-off loyalist.
You might also want to mention it if it becomes a major plot point like when your villain mistakes a 12-shot revolver for a six-shooter and consequently bites the dust.

But unless the type of gun has direct bearing on your script, skip it.

DanielD

Registered
Reaction score
To George W.
All the above posts are correct, in one way, or another.
Firstly,if you were writing your script within a 1920's backdrop,it would need attention to detail pertaining to that period.
This is why research, is so vital in adding believablity to your story.
The more you find out about the topic, or era your writing about,the greater your choices.
In regards to the details about the gun, as the other posters above have mentioned ,only include information that's vital to your script.
Maybe, the weapon in question, is a rifle with a unique carving or enscription on it.
Like the old style Western rifles, that had engravements of horses,ect,ect on them .
If it adds a little bit of dimension to your characters persona,it shouldn't harm the story in any way.
Though overdoing it,by constantly referring to the rifle(weapon)and it's calibre,features ect, would have the opposite affect.
Daniel.