New publishing threat—AI generated content falsely attributed to real authors to gain sales

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
Jane Friedman just releases a column on AI generated pirate texts and the hassles authors have in policing them on Goodreads and Amazon. Just another reason why the demise of mass market publishing is slouching toward Bethlehem.

The problem: "garbage books getting uploaded to Amazon where my name is credited as the author. Whoever’s doing this is obviously preying on writers who trust my name and think I’ve actually written these books. I have not. Most likely they’ve been generated by AI." After pointing out the impact of this process on her Goodreads profile, Ms. Friedman continues: "With the flood of AI content now published at Amazon, sometimes attributed to authors in a misleading or fraudulent manner, how can anyone reasonably expect working authors to spend every week for the rest of their lives policing this? And if authors don’t police it, they will certainly hear about it, from readers concerned about these garbage books, and from readers who credulously bought this crap and have complaints. Or authors might not hear any thing at all, and lose a potential reader forever."

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to scoot this thread over the Critical Theory and Philosophy of Language, where all AI discussion is gathered. Hold on tight!

Reactions: litdawg

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Going by the original article, I'd say this reads more like a Amazon and Goodreads problem, rather than a AI problem.

Especially the hoops the article mentions for getting wrongly attributed books off your Goodreads author page sounds stupidly complicated and indicative of piss-poor moderation.

Reactions: pdblake and Kolta

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Going by the original article, I'd say this reads more like a Amazon and Goodreads problem, rather than a AI problem.

Especially the hoops the article mentions for getting wrongly attributed books off your Goodreads author page sounds stupidly complicated and indicative of piss-poor moderation.
I don’t know if Goodreads was a tangled mess before Amazon bought them, but they sure are now.