New member trying to find some feedback

Wevermonic

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am from Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas, and I am searching for an awesome writing community. I've tried Facebook, Reddit, and meetup, and I can't find anyone besides my wife to hunker down and critique my work. I feel like I have some great stories to write, which I will write, but I need that special someone(s) to go at it with me. So yeah, I hope I am in the right place.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. We are (mostly) awfully nice. When you have 50 posts, you can put some work up in Share Your Work if that's what you're after. The best way to get fifty posts is to crit other work in SYW. People love you for that. :Sun:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am from Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas, and I am searching for an awesome writing community. I've tried Facebook, Reddit, and meetup, and I can't find anyone besides my wife to hunker down and critique my work. I feel like I have some great stories to write, which I will write, but I need that special someone(s) to go at it with me. So yeah, I hope I am in the right place.

Crits or critiques are pretty special, and have their own sub forum called Share Your Work (SYW). You need 50 posts to start a new thread in SYW.

Lots of times new members think they know what it means to be critted, and that their work is ready for it, when it isn't. So having to have 50 genuine, engaged posts gives new members a chance to figure out how critting works.

Until you have 50 posts, why not go to Share Your Work and read some crits, and carefully read the stickies, and maybe try your own hand at doing a crit ?

The password for Share Your Work is vista.

There's an FAQ listing passwords.

Once you have 50 posts, you can start your own thread in Share Your Work. Until then, reading crits, and trying your own hand at critting will help you understand what it's like to be critted.

And welcome to AW!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, and welcome.

Read mccardey's post again. It's that important. People who do critique get critique. People who don't...

Oh, and it's worth the time to read the links in regdog's post, too. Pretty much every question about how things work here, from nuts-and-bolts to community standards, is contained in those. Take your time--the quiz is weeks away!

Maryn, lying about the quiz

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
There is also an area to ask for beta-readers. But as the others have mentioned you don't get that much help from strangers without returning the favor.

mattsweeney

Registered
Reaction score
Glad you're here! I'm in the same boat. New to the writing community. And no doubt, the amount of content on this forum is a bit overwhelming. But I've learned from other sites that critiquing is quite fun. I get just as much from working through someone else's content as I do my own. Give it a shot. And of course, be excellent to one another!

Peace.

Wevermonic

Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes, I am definitely interested in critiquing other works. I love reading different stories, experimental type stuff, or regular old genre fiction.

:) And yes, I know about the 50 messages lol.

K Robert Donovan

Wishing Upon a Star...
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. I searched through various communities as well and found AW to be the most active and best fit for my needs. I have been a member for just shy of a year now and greatly appreciate the feedback received and the excellent research and educational tools available here. Best of luck to you.