I am glad it was in Recycle Bin!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yayy for recycle bins!

Regarding how much or little work you need to do - that's entirely your call. We have people who write with no intention of ever getting published, and people with contracts and deadlines - and everyone in between. Once we get to know you a little better, we'll know where to target our advice. (I'm sorry if I sounded scarey in your Newbie thread. I was still on First Coffee...)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whew, eh? I urge you to approach more like a pro, though. When I realize I intend to make a major revision to a book, I never, ever change the original. I make a copy of the original and change the copy.

It’s going to happen again, probably: you’ll realize the way it was before you started futzing around with it was better, and you want to make sure to keep a copy.

Text takes up very little hard drive space, so save every draft. This could have turned out a lot worse, so I’ll just share your relief.

Maryn, who can store all drafts of a dozen novels at the free level of DropBox

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've found it best to save multiple copies throughout each day, titled with the date of that day and an alphabetic suffix.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I rarely get around to actually writing, but I use a raid array to back up everything constantly. That way even if I get mad at something and delete it from my hard drive, it's still on the external drive.

Jazz Club

It's not wrong, it's dialect
Registered
Reaction score
Oh wow, thank goodness for the recycle bin, eh? Glad you managed to recover it!

(I do the same thing as Maryn: never delete, no matter how crap I think it might be. I always start a new draft. You never know when you might change your mind! Plus, there are usually a few gems among all the bad stuff even on really bad writing days 😉)

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like to keep at least one really, really bad story and one good (for me) story in my current folder so that when I feel I'm a crap writer I can go read them and compare and see that at least I've improved.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
In addition to saving drafts, sometimes I also save random scenes, paragraphs, or just sentences that I didn't end up finding a home for, but kinda liked. These get saved as '[Novel / chapter / scene] cutting room floor' word files. You never know when the snippets that didn't work in one place might come in handy somewhere else.

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do that, too. I have a folder for a novel, containing all my research, every draft, bio sheets, maps, whatever I needed to do to write it, and there's a fat file titled Deletions, material I wrote for one draft or another but removed in the final iteration.

Guess I don't kill my darling daughters so much as lock them away for future use.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Among my organizational failings is not grouping that fat deletion file's clips in some way that lets me find something easily. Maybe next book I'll do better.