First page

fountain923

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I am submitting to a pub that asks for no headers, footers or page numbers, no bio credits, etc. (Yay!). In their guidelines, they did not say anything overtly about keeping your identity "clandestine" for a blind read, though. They did, however, say that the reasons for not wanting the headers and page numbers was because of the need to strip them from the doc then if you are accepted.

My question is: do I still do the normal Shunn FIRST page with my personal info in left corner, word count in right and byline beneath title?

Thanks.

Reactions: Bonehead

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
If it still says you can have identifying stuff, like your name/email/phone number (or, it doesn't say to NOT include them) then I would still include them. Regardless, I would still but the wordcount in the corner, and the title in the center. I would only include the byline if you are also able to include any sort of identifying info. And, of course, do the normal font size/paragraph spacing/all that fun stuff.

Reactions: fountain923

fountain923

Registered
Reaction score
If it still says you can have identifying stuff, like your name/email/phone number (or, it doesn't say to NOT include them) then I would still include them. Regardless, I would still but the wordcount in the corner, and the title in the center. I would only include the byline if you are also able to include any sort of identifying info. And, of course, do the normal font size/paragraph spacing/all that fun stuff.
ThNkz

fountain923

Registered
Reaction score
I looked carefully at the SGuideline again and it did not say NOT to put ID info on page 1 but it did ask for basic ID info and word count in the EMAIL. Asking for it in the email doesn't imply to put it ONLY there, right?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If they want that in the email, then don't put a title page in the submission. Or draft a title page just for this submission, the title centered in caps, by below it, and your name below that. If you use a pen name, that's one more line.

BOOK TITLE

by

Fountain Nine TwoThree

writing as Missy Moo​

It sounds like this publisher wants their staff to be able to read on any device, any display size, without disruption by numbering, headers, footers, etc.

Maryn, hoping you're not overthinking this

fountain923

Registered
Reaction score
If they want that in the email, then don't put a title page in the submission. Or draft a title page just for this submission, the title centered in caps, by below it, and your name below that. If you use a pen name, that's one more line.

BOOK TITLE

by

Fountain Nine TwoThree

writing as Missy Moo​

It sounds like this publisher wants their staff to be able to read on any device, any display size, without disruption by numbering, headers, footers, etc.

Maryn, hoping you're not overthinking this
Thanks. I wasn't doing a title page though. I meant first text page w/ the Shunn top left hand corner (with name, address, email, phone) and word count in right. Then, title w/ byline beneath it, a la Shunn.

I was just worried if asking for the ID info in email meant they wanted a "blind," which is a big thing. But they didn't say DONT put ID on the MS. itself.

Thanks for your concern. As I've said, this actual sub stuff is what gets to me the most, not the writing or waiting for an answer. If you do the incorrect thing with certain things they want, they will automatically dismiss you. Trouble is, it's not always "crystal clear" for those of us rather new to the game.

Thanks again, f923

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, duh. I didn't pay attention to what forum I was in. Of course you'd use Shunn's short fiction format for short fiction! But in this case, since you're putting the title and word count in the body of the email, I'd delete all that Shunn business and just dive in, with no more than the centered title on the first line.

My apologies for misleading you, or anyone else.

Maryn, whose head is apparently elsewhere