family financial embezzlement...

stitchingirl

Registered
Reaction score
The brother of one of my MCs has been arrested for embezzlement. Would my MC also be caught up in the investigation simply because of being related, even if the brothers have different careers? For instance, would my MC also have his financial records looked at or even frozen until the authorities deem my MC not being part of the financial scam? And if so, how long would my MC's access to his accounts be restricted?

CMBright

Cats are easy, Mice are tough
Registered
Reaction score
Is there a reason why one character's finances would be tied to the other character's? If there are no ties, I would not expect the brother to be any more of a suspect than the embezzler's neighbor.

ETA: usual caveats of I don't know, that is my common sense answer, AW forum does not permit giving legal advice, etc. apply.

stitchingirl

Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking perhaps simply because they were from a prominent family, all the family members would be thoroughly investigated.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It will depend on who is doing the investigation -- the employer? the government? the police? (Note: I believe that it's usually the employer, or an outside expert they hire.)

It will depend on the nature, scale, and reach of the embezzlement.

It will depend on the laws of the state/country/territory in question, particularly with regards to the rights and protections and privacy that the laws confer upon the employee.

ETA: CMBright is, as usual, correct: we cannot give any kind of advice on this forum that could be construed as legal advice (even if it's being applied to a fictional character as it could also be taken as advice for real life persons). I'd suggest that you look for a book like this one and see if it's in your local library.

Last edited:
Reactions: stitchingirl

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Not legal advice, just a suggestion based on family dynamics:
They wouldn't be buddy-buddy enough to be in on an embezzlement scheme if embezzling bro had
previously:
shredded his brother's beloved teddy bear
mocked his bro in high school
got him fired from jobs
and
married (or seduced and abandoned) the love of his life.
In fact, it might be that if the character is investigated, it's only to cover his being the snitch that
turned his brother in to the authorities

stitchingirl

Registered
Reaction score
It will depend on who is doing the investigation -- the employer? the government? the police? (Note: I believe that it's usually the employer, or an outside expert they hire.)

It will depend on the nature, scale, and reach of the embezzlement.

It will depend on the laws of the state/country/territory in question, particularly with regards to the rights and protections and privacy that the laws confer upon the employee.

ETA: CMBright is, as usual, correct: we cannot give any kind of advice on this forum that could be construed as legal advice (even if it's being applied to a fictional character as it could also be taken as advice for real life persons). I'd suggest that you look for a book like this one and see if it's in your local library.

Thank you for the book title. Unfortunately, it's not in e-book form, so I'll call my library tomorrow to see if they have it stock or perhaps can get it for me.

Reactions: Elenitsa

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the book title. Unfortunately, it's not in e-book form, so I'll call my library tomorrow to see if they have it stock or perhaps can get it for me.
If they don't have that one, there's probably fifty more like it out there! Pick one that suits your particular form of embezzlement, I reckon.

stitchingirl

Registered
Reaction score
Not legal advice, just a suggestion based on family dynamics:
They wouldn't be buddy-buddy enough to be in on an embezzlement scheme if embezzling bro had
previously:
shredded his brother's beloved teddy bear
mocked his bro in high school
got him fired from jobs
and
married (or seduced and abandoned) the love of his life.
In fact, it might be that if the character is investigated, it's only to cover his being the snitch that
turned his brother in to the authorities

Thank you for the quick response. The non-embezzler son had no idea what his brother was up to since they were not close and were in two separate careers. But the MC not getting tied into the brother's legal problems does actually help better, actually. He could simply walk away from his family, letting his brother deal with his own issues.

stitchingirl

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a reason why one character's finances would be tied to the other character's? If there are no ties, I would not expect the brother to be any more of a suspect than the embezzler's neighbor.

ETA: usual caveats of I don't know, that is my common sense answer, AW forum does not permit giving legal advice, etc. apply.

Thank you for your quick response and I understand against the legal advice, even if for a fictional story. But your answer, as well as those of others, have answered my question.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick response. The non-embezzler son had no idea what his brother was up to since they were not close and were in two separate careers. But the MC not getting tied into the brother's legal problems does actually help better, actually. He could simply walk away from his family, letting his brother deal with his own issues.
Yes, my own family, generationally, has opted for the casual move away, as opposed to the screaming fight. It's both subtle and hard to argue with: "But, but... it's for school, or the job! Gotta go!"
Maybe one investigator totally gets it, while another can't believe that brothers wouldn't be close?

stitchingirl

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, my own family, generationally, has opted for the casual move away, as opposed to the screaming fight. It's both subtle and hard to argue with: "But, but... it's for school, or the job! Gotta go!"
Maybe one investigator totally gets it, while another can't believe that brothers wouldn't be close?
I was thinking that, too. That one investigator who just doesn't seem to believe the brothers aren't in the scheme together or there's no way the non-embezzling brother didn't know.

Reactions: frimble3

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The difference lies in what investigators believe vs what they can prove.
Without a solid link (think money trail, bribes, evidence of money laundering. etc.) to another individual or group, the focus will remain on the suspected/alleged embezzler.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Which of the two options do you want to write/need for the story? The brother being caught up or not? Because I think you could make both scenario believable with a couple of tweaks.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
If you want the innocent brother to be a suspect, the embezzling brother might have used the innocent brother's name without his knowledge - for example, he could be paying the embezzled funds into a bank account he started in his brother's name. (You would think this should be impossible, but unfortunately people seem to take out loans and credit cards in their relatives' names on a regular basis.)

CMBright

Cats are easy, Mice are tough
Registered
Reaction score
A third option would be character learns about the embezzlement and assumes he is a suspect. If he isn't or has already been cleared, there is still a lot of tension as he waits for the blow to hit.

In addition to shared or forged bank accounts, I could see large gifts of cash or high value using embezzled funds could make it look like the brothers are in it together even if the character thinks it is simle generousity on the embezzler's part.

stitchingirl

Registered
Reaction score
Which of the two options do you want to write/need for the story? The brother being caught up or not? Because I think you could make both scenario believable with a couple of tweaks.

My MC didn't know until his brother's very public arrest. Because the MC is a lawyer, the family naturally expects him to be there for counsel but my MC wants to separate himself from the whole thing, especially since he wants to step away from his family.