Dark Horror

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiamJackson

Re: Lovecraft

Great link, James. Thanks. Just as an added note, I think if we were to poll 500 prolific readers, then another 500 prolific "writers" about this issue, I bet we'd find that the concensus supports the notion that Lovecraft was a visionary storyteller with a demonstrated weakness for writing dialogue. We'd also find that many wish they had Poe's knack for over-dramatizing scenes. The thing with Poe, is that he possessed an uncanny sense of timing. He could introduce that whining, cringing, wringing of hands at the most opportune moment and make it seem an appropriate gesture.

Poe's style could be described as moody/trendy, and overly dramatic at times, as was the custom and practice of his horror writing peers of that period. But he also knew what scared us and used it to that end. He raised an already steep dramatic bar for that genre and made it work. A neat trick.

Lovecraft, on the other hand, made us think "ut oh" and "what if..." Another equally hellacious trick.

This takes us back to the "storyteller vs. writer" issue of old.
Both have niches. Rare are the people who can master both elements for these are the true masters of crafting fiction.

Just my 2$...(adjusted for inflation)

Jamesaritchie

If you can only be one or the other, a good storyteller or a good writer, not both, then it's best by far to be a good storyteller.

Good writing style is gravy. It's great when you get it, but it's the potatoes under the gravy that editors buy. Few can do both well. Those who can usually lead cushy lives.

Good story, good characters, and good dialogue sell stories. All the writing has to be is competent.

LiamJackson

Amen, James. I'll take the storyteller every time.

NickolausPacione

I also like Benchley's approach to writing horror, for as conservative a person Benchley is -- basically caused people to stay out of the water with JAWS, The Beast, and White Shark. He knows how to build that uh oh kind of horror then really get them. As for King, knew how to do it and say, "hold it right there mother f--ker, this isn't over yet."

dpaterso

Benchley

I confess I've never really thought of Benchley purely as a horror writer, tho' I appreciate the horror origins of his preferred strategy: big character buildup, then isolate the leads and expose them to something the audience wouldn't ever want to meet -- usually something that prefers its next meal to be warm and wriggling.

-Derek
-----------------------​

NickolausPacione

Re: Benchley

That is what made his approach to horror so damn good. He wasn't always coined as horror, but writing JAWS and White Shark he very much deserves to be called a horror writer. I'm working on a supernatural shark story because I am reading JAWS and the true story that inspired it.

Status
Not open for further replies.