Chuck Wendig's Christmas List for writers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I sent this around to family and friends. They probably think I was hinting. They might be right (except nobody on my list can probably afford most of this, but, whatever). I also just thought it was funny.

Profane and borderline offensive as usual, here's the list:

http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2015/12/06/gifts-for-writers-2015/

I think I can do without the axe.

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with most of the stuff on the list, except coffee. I must be the only writer who doesn't really like coffee.

Though you never know when you might need a good axe. I mean, the zombie apocalypse is bound to happen someday and you need to chop firewood. I suppose you could use the axe on the zombies as well, but my preferred close-quarters weapon would be a baseball bat with nails driven into it. Simple and easy to wield. I know katanas are all cool-looking, but they require specialized training to use properly and I'm a firm believer in when the Apocalypse hits, Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS).

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
I don't like coffee either! I'm a tea drinker.

Those lamps are nice but, OMG you could make one for less than $150. I actually don't want writerly things for Xmas! The only supplies I really use are paper, pencils, erasers, and yes, notebooks.

And all the writers I know just want cat stuff!

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A cup of good coffee and an adult coloring book sounds like a winning combo to me.

The good coffee I already have (though having a selection mailed to me each month would be a treat) but I've never played with an adult coloring book. I used to carry a tiny sketchpad and a rubber-banded bundle of carefully selected colored pencils around with me, for scribbling fantastical doodles. It was amazingly refreshing and clearing for the mind. But I stopped for some reason that no doubt seemed good at the time.

I'll have to have a look at some coloring books soon.

Celimlodyn

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like some chocolate, please. Nice, really dark, smooth, no fillery things like nuts.
You all can have the coffee.

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
Another anti-coffee. I used to abstain so much from caffeine that a green tea would buzz me up. Now, I have to drink black tea to wake up/stay awake. I am, however, a tea and honey snob. XD

I do want one of those book lamps. Very expensive, but I want it. The ecospheres, not so much. They do eventually get too fouled up and everything dies.

What about book scented candles? Has anyone used those yet? I want to know if they really smell like books and libraries.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Book scented candles? Really? Um, like, why?

I'm not a coffee guzzler anymore myself, but I do have one large cup every day. I think aside from the coloring books, the thing I'd like most on that list is the monthly subscription to pens and paper and similar items. I love that stuff.

TGrace

Registered
Reaction score
I don't drink coffee either. I'll have tea occasionally, but most of the time I'm fine with just water. I love the paper and pen subscription idea (pretty paper and good pens!! :hooray:), as well as the non-fiction book idea. I definitely don't read enough non-fiction!

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a recent convert to the adult colouring book. When my brain is stuck in a useless circular pattern, there's something about the act of colouring that unsticks it.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Which one(s) do you have? I admit I have never seen nor looked at these. Got a favorite?

And yes, that kind of activity has always been pretty freeing for me, it sort of lubricates the mind or something.

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
Book scented candles? Really? Um, like, why?

I think they were made by people who switched to e-readers and missed the scent of books and/or bookstores and/or old libraries. I do appreciate the smell of a book, but I've still got plenty of paper books around. I don't know anyone who's smelled them, so I don't know if they really are book-y, and I have too many candles to order more.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Well, it wouldn't do it for me.

I think maybe the only item on Wendig's list I really would want is the gift certificate to a bookstore. Though I wouldn't object to a gift certificate to Amazon, either, despite agreeing with his reasons to avoid that. Gift certificates in general are great! Actually, give me one to an office supply or stationery store, and one to a hardware store, and I would be delighted! I love those places. I can happily wander among fasteners and tools, paper and related items, for long enough to lose track of time.

I did make a real Christmas list and emailed it to my gift-exchanging family members. It has three books on it, and three other items. Anyone else do this? Make a list, I mean.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know anyone who's smelled them, so I don't know if they really are book-y, and I have too many candles to order more.

I got one as a gift. It smelled fine, but didn't remind me of books. Though I'd be hard pressed to describe what I think it *did* smell like :D

(that's just one brand though; I don't know if different candlemakers make different kinds...)

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did make a real Christmas list and emailed it to my gift-exchanging family members. It has three books on it, and three other items. Anyone else do this? Make a list, I mean.

I am required to. ;)

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:greenie

Well, if I don't, I only end up getting things I then have to get rid of somehow or other.

I'm mainly hoping to get all three of the books, though. Everything else is for purposes of padding the list, though they are items I'll use if I get 'em.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
The only things I'd want from that list are the coffee and the booze, both of which I already have plenty of, and the bookstore gift certificate. Well and "not pneumonia" I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.