Because #45 isn't the only one who says asinine things

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Paul Ryan tells American women they need to have more babies.

http://www.newsweek.com/paul-ryan-wants-you-have-more-kids-749328

Lie back and think of America, oh women of childbearing age.

OK, he didn't word it quite that blatantly, but he didn't have to. Aside from the audacity of a man with a large family telling women "he's done his part" (was he the one who had to deal with everything from morning sickness to the threat of preeclampsia and other potentially fatal complications) and now it's time for them to do theirs. Aside from the issues with increasing the number of Americans in a world where we're already producing far too much carbon dioxide and consuming more than our share of the world's resources, the sheer hypocrisy of a Republican saying women need to have more kids is appalling. Maybe increasing wages and employment opportunities for younger people (so they make more money to support retirees) and being less anti-immigrant could help solve the issue too (since immigration is the major source of population growth).

Not to mention the fact that some women would probably like to have kids (or more kids than they do), but can't due to their current stagnant economic situation, paired with the lack of paid parental leave, America's shameful maternal mortality figures, and ,[URL="http://www.businessinsider.com/employers-can-legally-fire-pregnant-women-2012-4"] lack of protections for pregnant workers, and other policies that make it damned hard for mothers in general[/URL]. Never mind that these challenges are partially due to positions backed by Ryan's party.

With headlines like this, who needs magazines like the Onion anymore?

So, what other asinine, tone deaf, alienating things have politicians who aren't you know who been saying lately?

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to prepare the country for the coming Social Security cuts he's likely rubbing his hands together in delightful anticipation over, he puts his foot deep into his mouth.

Reminds me of the insensitivity of Mrs Moore saying, "One of our lawyers is a Jew." Or the idiot who commented on the convicted immigrant housekeeper article saying she chose to drop out of school so her lot in life is her own fault. It's clear these people live in stunted little worlds where they have no clue how other people live.

I hope Ryan gets an earful about his ignorance.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Paul Ryan has discovered the bipartisan solution to fixing Medicare and Social Security: babies.

“This is going to be the new economic challenge for America: people. Baby boomers are retiring—I did my part, but we need to have higher birth rates in this country,” Ryan told reporters on Thursday.
I've heard the argument before. There is a name for it. It's called a Ponzi scheme ( link ).

-cb

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a Handmaiden.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Remember when people said the Handmaid's Tale was well written, but too far fetched to be quite believable?

There's a reason they came back and made it into a TV show decades later.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Too often, these verbal pratfalls are the result of an odd but vigorous mental gymnastics.

My mother was fond of trying to take modern data points and jamming them into the narrow scope of (alleged) Biblical assertions.

For example, she took an expression of clinical depression ("there is not an entirely new thing under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9), and made it a literal overarching principle of the universe.

And so she spent literally years suggesting to me that heafty Cro-Magnon skeletons were actually evidence that individual (modern) humans lived for many hundreds of years during the Bronze Age. (Their bones just kept growing, right? Uh, no. They were a whole-nother species. *pout*)