"Back out there" again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I parted ways with my agent a few months ago, and feel caught in this weird sort of limbo now. Weird, because I've experienced the thrill of snagging that agent -- something I'd craved, prayed for, worked toward for years. Only to find myself back at Square One again. It's a strange feeling.

I've seen a couple of threads on this, but I'd love to commiserate or hear stories about those those who've had an agent in the past, but who (for whatever reason) now find themselves sans agent. And back on the Agent Query-Go-Round once again. I think we've had a unique experience, having once snagged an agent, and now finding ourselves without one.

Some random things I've experienced:

* I've felt the surreal thrill/rush of "I have an agent!!!" only to find myself unpublished, back to the slush pile again a year later. It's like emotional whiplash. I knew the odds going in, but my hope was high.

* I've now had to explain to friends/family who knew about the "I have an agent!!!" situation that...no...I no longer have an agent.

* Because my book was submitted via said Former Agent, it's made a fairly full run with editors and probably needs to be shelved. Even though I think it still has life, still has promise. But that book has "baggage" now (rejections by editors), so other agents likely won't take it on. And, who could blame them?

* Two steps forward, two steps back....it's surreal to be knocking directly at editors' doors (via an agent), to be that close, only to be pushed back to knocking on agents' doors again. Along with millions of other folk. Those editors feel so far away right now...

Honestly, this all reminds me of a line from "When Harry Met Sally." It's when Marie (Princess Leia) hears about Sally's single-gal woes. In the scene, Marie tells her fiance with a grimace, "Tell me I'll never have to be back out there again." (aka, the dating world).

And so, I think when we do -- finally -- land an agent, that's a little bit how we feel: "Tell me I'll never have to be back out there again" (in Agent Queryland). But sadly, there's no guarantee that we won't be.

I know there are tons of encouraging stories (and I'd love to hear them!), of writers who land another agent -- a better agent. But it's just disheartening sometimes, to be in this limbo -- where you've been so close, only to find yourself so far again.

(Mods - please feel free to move/delete this, if it's already been created somewhere else)

Last edited:

Bookkus

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bookkus.com
Keep trying and stay positive. The best books have been rejected so many times. If you were accepted by an agent once, it'll happen again.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs, Chelseawriter. I've been there, and it's really devastating to feel so close and then have the rug pulled out.

There are a lot of us who have experienced similar things (many of us are in the Pit of Doom), and it takes awhile to figure out the right path.

If you still feel strongly about your subbed book (and we all do!), there are plenty of paths. You could query it to agents, depending on its sub history. You could query it to publishers big or small on your own. You could self publish. You could pursue an agent for your next book (and of course, writing the next book is the best cure, but it's often hard to get back on the horse) and maybe s/he'll rep both stories.

I have known writers who have been successful with each of those approaches. Lick your wounds, write if you can, and you will figure out your path.

My own strategy was to finish my next book. I queried agents without success, then queried publishers for that book, my first one, and other projects too. I have a small press book coming out now, and I'm still hopeful about other projects.

Last edited:

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
*hugs* You are not alone. My first agent and I split a while ago, and it was scary. I hated the thought of querying again. But I found a new agent last year, and she's such a better fit for me - agenting style, communication, personality, etc.

My book still hasn't sold (I knew it would be a tough sell), but she's been working with me on new projects instead of kicking me to the curb. Bottom line: good things can come out of this. I hope you find someone who will be a better business partner for you.

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
(((Chelseawriter)))
I don't have anything helpful to say other than that I wish you the best in finding a new agent.
As Kellion said above, there are many options for you to explore, including subbing directly to publishers.
Good luck and I hope to see you in 'Hell' ;)(agented or subbing yourself) again one day. :)

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
You guys are the best - thanks so much for the hugs and encouraging words. It really does help, to hear what others have been through. Otherwise, you can start to feel quite alone in your experiences. I guess that's why I posted in the first place...

Kellion - those are great ideas. In fact, just a couple of days ago, I submitted Shelved Book to a couple of smaller publishers (*cross all fingers*). I'm starting to learn how to think outside the agent box a little more, this time around.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Good for you, Chelsea. Like you, I felt my shelved book had plenty of life and I queried it to publishers myself. No sale yet, but I did get a good number of requests and good feedback from editors. In general, I think that the same things that attract an agent -- interesting premise and good writing -- attract editors even when you don't have an agent.

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I think that the same things that attract an agent -- interesting premise and good writing -- attract editors even when you don't have an agent.

This is my thinking, too. I'm both nervous and excited to be submitting directly to publishers. It's neat, to feel like the submission process is in my hands, rather than waiting on an agent to do it for me. And though I feel "on my own," which can be nerve-wracking, I've learned enough about the business to be pretty informed.

But, should I get a contract in hand from one of these publishers, I'm hoping to snag an agent after the fact. This will be an interesting summer, I hope...

Best of luck on your endeavors!

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
This will be my third go-around with an agent, IF I connect.

It's hard, it takes a long ass time, and even when you get an agent, there's still so many stumbling blocks.

But I truly believe having a bad agent, is worse then having no agent at all. You're actually in much more control over what happens. Hopefully you can pick and choose better too and learn from your experiences.

I too, am just getting back in the saddle with writing...it will be my 6th novel...dragging my heels a bit on it, but it really does help ease the wait. Good Luck to you.

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
But I truly believe having a bad agent, is worse then having no agent at all. You're actually in much more control over what happens.

I so agree. When you're stuck with someone you don't trust, it's much worse than being on your own. I'm loving the freedom, right now, of being my own "boss," of having control over my submissions.

Even though I didn't have the best agent experience, I know I learned from it - what to do, what not to do. And, more than anything, it's taught me what I do and don't want from a future agent. I'm more selective this time around, and I'll know which questions to ask, etc.

Best of luck to you, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.