Accidental Pregnancy Ideas

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe this could be a scene in your book? After the "Oops! OMG! I can't be pregnant!" moment, she has to break the news to friends and family. And those women tell her all sorts of stories about all the ways there are for mistakes to happen.
That's so true! Now that I've heard everyone's stories and realize I know quite a few from people I know.

Thanks so much for everyone's feedback!

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just a thought, but my wife stopped the pill for a short period in an attempt to control migraines - doctor's recommendation, didn't work. We've never figured out why she gets migraines. That said, it was a six month period with no BC.
[sidenote] I used to get menstrual migraines every month. [/sn]

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I heartily agree. In my highly educated and cautious cohort, "oops" babies are definitely a thing. My sister, for example, intended to have two kids. A condom failure led to a third child when she was 41.
Reminds me of my cousin. They had four kids so he got a vasectomy. Then his wife got pregnant. But they'd been warned there are still live sperm in the pipes for some length of time.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
[sidenote] I used to get menstrual migraines every month. [/sn]
I get crazy bad migraines every single month right before. I have to take stupidly expensive medicine to help with them and sometimes it doesn't even work.

This is getting off topic now, but I once dated a guy who said getting kicked in the balls was far worse than a woman's period. Then I asked, "Oh, so you get kicked in the balls every single month for several days and are in pain for a few days leading up to it, too?" Idiot.

Edit: And for anyone who gets migraines, I just recently figured out all the other migraines I was getting, outside of my pms, was actually due to eating yogurt. Apparently fermented products can have that effect on some people.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I just wanted to pop back and say that, while the Accidental Pregnancy trope isn't my thing, I found the instantaneous support from the forum members for the plot question--and the closely-related support of, and understanding for, women who do get accidentally pregnant--to be really lovely. Gave me the warm-fuzzies, and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. Romance writers & readers rock. :heart:

Lea123

Reliably forgetful
Registered
Reaction score
I get hormonal migraines! And stress ones too but I can usually nip them in the bud. The hormonal ones though... o_O It's always the day before. They didn't start until a couple of years ago after I'd had my daughter. I was told they would settle down as my hormones leveled out again. I can confirm they did not. All my bloods always come back normal too... :rolleyes:

Jeez, after reading this thread, I swear I just felt the baby kick, and I'm more than a decade post-menopause! :ROFLMAO:
I'm nowhere near menopause and sometimes I get those phantom kicks from nowhere and I genuinely panic. It doesn't help that I have some vivid dreams thanks to my meds and I often don't know what's a dream and what I've actually done. The only saving grace right now is it's impossible to be pregnant unless I'm carrying the next baby Jesus which might solve some financial worries if I sell my story to some magazine. :unsure:

I work with two people who had unplanned and unknown pregnancies. One found out after passing out 'drunk' and being taken to ER (they thought she'd had her drink spiked as she'd only had one drink) the other didn't know until she was almost 8 months.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I work with two people who had unplanned and unknown pregnancies. One found out after passing out 'drunk' and being taken to ER (they thought she'd had her drink spiked as she'd only had one drink) the other didn't know until she was almost 8 months.
There used to be that show called "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant" where they basically go into labour not even realizing they were pregnant in the first place. That'd be terrifying.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
There used to be that show called "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant" where they basically go into labour not even realizing they were pregnant in the first place. That'd be terrifying.

My next-door neighbor's cousin. She was thrown out of the house (she was 17) and moved in with my neighbor for a while.

I had a hard time believing she didn't know, but I talked to her (got to know her fairly well), and I honestly think she didn't. (Both she and the baby were OK.)

Fi Webster

May 21-25 waxing crescent šŸŒ’
Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Texas originally, now living in Maryland (DC area)
Website
www.ipernity.com
My next-door neighbor's cousin. She was thrown out of the house (she was 17) and moved in with my neighbor for a while.

I had a hard time believing she didn't know, but I talked to her (got to know her fairly well), and I honestly think she didn't. (Both she and the baby were OK.)

Most definitely a thing. When I was in med school doing Ob rotation, I met a number of teenagers in labor who had no idea what was going on. A couple of them didn't get it even after the kid was born.