• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
I was sick from December to March with whatever was going around and didn't write a single word. And then a beta trashed my historical, and I lost confidence. Heck, I quit posting on AW. Only a writer can understand how devastated I was.

So, I've put novel-writing aside and found a niche in writing nonfiction articles. The first was published first of April. It was a hit. And I just submitted the second.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
I was sick from December to March with whatever was going around and didn't write a single word. And then a beta trashed my historical, and I lost confidence. Heck, I quit posting on AW. Only a writer can understand how devastated I was.

So, I've put novel-writing aside and found a niche in writing nonfiction articles. The first was published first of April. It was a hit. And I just submitted the second.
I hate that you had to go through that, but congratulations on the new venture! :)

Will Collins

Will Collins
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering whether readers prefer a lot of description, or if it's okay to sometimes not describe the settings and actions in detail all the time. If that makes sense.

SKara

Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering whether readers prefer a lot of description, or if it's okay to sometimes not describe the settings and actions in detail all the time. If that makes sense.

I totally get what you mean. I had the same question while working on my current project. When I started out, I would use lots of description - I just felt it was very natural and important. But during this one, I didn't add much description (it might even be too little, but I intend to fix that during final revisions) because I felt like it wasn't contributing much to the story I was writing.

I think readers don't need much description in general because usually it doesn't add anything important to the story - a few details here and there are okay; the reader can fill in the rest themselves. You just have to move the story forward in a coherent way.

For example, the scene I'm working on right now is set in a newspaper office, and I've hardly provided any description because the scene is focused on the characters, their situations and their problems. The purpose of the scene is to provide background for the MC's situation and present new information to her. Description would only take away from the focus and tension.

In any case, don't fret over the amount of description (although in general I'd suggest keep it sparse, because it often gets boring IMO.) If the description isn't directly relevant to the story, you might as well keep it out and focus on other important aspects.

Will Collins

Will Collins
Registered
Reaction score
Yep that's my current issue. I don't feel like I need to add every detail of the MC's enrolment in a new school as the exact details of his dormitory aren't significant to the plot right now.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Perfectly OK, and readers always have varied preferences for descriptions.

We know our stories best and should know what's important and relevant and when to describe what.

Maintaining a strong POV should help in deciding what is described and when. Is it something the POV character would notice or has time to notice, and if he notices is it noticed in passing or in detail? That will depend upon the POV character's state of mind and situation when 'it' is noticed.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I'm reading The Pearl Thief because I have to read everything by Elizabeth Wein now. She wrote Code Name Verity. She's one of those writers one can only dream of having her talent.

Anyway, listening to her detailed descriptions of the characters, I'm in awe because my character descriptions are comparatively bare as bones. I'll probably go back and see where I might expand on the descriptions in my book.

But I don't think description stands out as one of the things I love or hate in a book unless the descriptions begin to make the story drag. The Pearl Thief is not dragging one bit with its incredibly rich descriptions. I enjoy and admire the writing when it's done so well. But when I read an engaging story that is not so endowed, I still enjoy it.

Last edited:

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
What's on my mind about my writing?

Pretty much every paragraph is boring after I've re-read it a few times. Really getting frustrated... :(

The Black Prince

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriandeans.com
What's on my mind about my writing?

Pretty much every paragraph is boring after I've re-read it a few times. Really getting frustrated... :(

I'm sure you already know this but if your writing feels stale, it doesn't mean it is stale...necessarily...it means you need a break.

Work on something different for a while and come back when it feels right. I'm always working on three or four projects at once - only way to stay fresh.

My problem is I can never really tell if a scene is as intriguing/gripping/scary etc as I'd like it to be. The one thing I can judge is humour. I can always tell if it's funny.

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
The black prince--i can always tell when it's sad, although I have had a few LOLs.

Jason, I can feel your frustration. I'm on here posting instead of dealing with my shit. :)

But alas, I came here to post my darlings I just cut . . . sniff. I really liked them.

“C’mere.” He pulled me against him. I wasn’t in the mood for crying, so I sat there, feeling the terry cloth of his robe against my cheek, and smelling his eye-opening Coast deodorant soap.

eliiPe8

Registered
Reaction score
I am currently writing a fiction short story.. My fourth one this year but currently I am struggeling with finding the time to write. I have a lot of school work, as I am a student and that really gets into my way... Hoping to have my story finished by the beginning of summer though.

The Black Prince

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriandeans.com
I am currently writing a fiction short story.. My fourth one this year but currently I am struggeling with finding the time to write. I have a lot of school work, as I am a student and that really gets into my way... Hoping to have my story finished by the beginning of summer though.

If you were in Australia you'd have until December!

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
My second article was published in the newspaper today. And I just finished the first draft of the third, a Mother's Day article, "Finger in the Sky."

CalRazor

Registered
Reaction score
Doing some dialogue revisions. First one went really well, but the second is proving to be extremely irritating. I can't get it just right. I have to have the right images going through my head + the right music (mood), otherwise nothing comes out the way I want it to. Just goes to show that writing poetry and dialogue are very different, they both deal with the aesthetics of language, but in vastly distinct ways.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Just finished the 7th edit of my WIP, only 1 more to go. I’m going to take a week off to write a syllabus for a self defense course I’ll be teaching at a local martial arts school. My next edit I’ll read online, checking mostly formatting.

flarue

Dreaming of Waltzes & Fantasy Lands
Registered
Reaction score
I realized that I need to do some more research on one of the historical eras in my story. I'm trying to learn more about the American Industrial Age, particularly in Philadephia textile mills. Fun times. Also, it's been a crazy week, as I've been taking on some extra hours at work, making me too tired to get much actual writing done. :sleepy:

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last hurdle (except there's always editing), the ending: I have two action scenes, lots of tension, but they aren't leading up to a big finale. I need a final climax. I don't want to do one of those things where all looks resolved but then... , things look resolved once more but then another last minute twist ... You know, like when the villain who should have been dead gets up and grabs the girl hostage. That isn't the kind of story this is.

On second thought.... hmmmm

ktdude

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the early stages of my first draft and am overly obsessed with one of my male leads. So I'm writing all his scenes and nothing else. Is this normal??

ktdude

Registered
Reaction score
Last hurdle (except there's always editing), the ending: I have two action scenes, lots of tension, but they aren't leading up to a big finale. I need a final climax. I don't want to do one of those things where all looks resolved but then... , things look resolved once more but then another last minute twist ... You know, like when the villain who should have been dead gets up and grabs the girl hostage. That isn't the kind of story this is.

On second thought.... hmmmm

How does your story end? Will you resolve everything or leave things unanswered? Can you come back to something you mentioned much earlier on to make it seem like a twist?

JJ Crafts

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the early stages of my first draft and am overly obsessed with one of my male leads. So I'm writing all his scenes and nothing else. Is this normal??

Haha that sounds interesting! I know when I plot I get attached to certain characters and do that but haven't ever done it while writing.

I got two pieces of feedback on my first chapter this weekend. First time I've given something to beta readers so was exciting and nerve-racking. One of the things they said were complete opposite to each other so I can tell the process of compiling advice is going to be......fun!