Starting Comic Book Writing - Need help knowing how to get it published

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangobob5000

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!
i'm new to the comic book way of writing. i have been writing books since i was in fifth grade and have now gotten to read maus and ive decided that i'll try out comic book, or graphic novel, writing. im not very good at drawing, but i've decided that it would be very cool to set the story i have planned to a sort of henry darger-esque background. like, for instance, i could draw and paint the way he did, which was mainly by tracing and the result is really weird and cool (if anyone doesn't know who he was, the guy was nuts and wrote like a 15,000 page book that he never got published). the graphic novel's going to be about a guy in an asylum searching for the ideal man, much like in Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra, and it is full of surrealism and strange fantasy elements about it and it also has a lot of zen buddhists themes processed through a sort of Celtic aesthetic - i think its really cool. i was wondering if someone could refer me to a publisher who would be willing to publish this sort of graphic novel or a literary agency that would send this graphic novel on to a publisher. or if i should give up on writing or drawing this sort of thing as a comic book. thanks!

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
If you're really interested in whole process (complete with pictures), you should pick up this:

23559670.JPG

And if you're really, really interested, you could attend this--

http://storelocator.barnesandnoble.com/eventdetail.do;jsessionid=2E85FE77665FBCDCCE5F12063697C294.worker2?store=2160&event=22701849

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
Hi, CB...the link isn't working for me either. It did yesterday.

But, yeah--

Melissa and I are doing a book signing at the Middletown, RI Barnes and Noble at 7PM on March 6th. We'll be signing copies of The Everything Guide to Writing Graphic Novels as well as copies of the Death Hawk graphic novel.

dwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Breaking in is hard to do

Hi, All:

I know firsthand that breaking into comics as a writer is one tough task. It helps if you can illustrate your own script. If you can't -- and I can't -- then you have to pair with an artist and create your five- to 10-page samples to pitch to publishers. And, yes, if you want a good artist you'll probably have to pay them. (You can take your changes on a freebie artist, but in my experience, the ones willing to work for free usually are either sloppy, mediocre or incredibly unorganized. This will lead to countless times when your "free" artist abandons you mid-project.)

It's a harsh realty, but you do have to spend money to put together a quality submission package. But, really, with anything worth doing, that's the way it is.

I'm doing that now, in fact. I found a great artist -- through placing an ad at Digital Webbing -- and paid her. She produced five amazing sequential pages for me. I've just finished the pitch letter and character bios and am shopping the piece around.

By the way, if anyone cares, I just started my own blog detailing my efforts to break into comic writing. I only started the blog this week -- so it only has two posts -- so far, but I hope to share my mistakes and successes so that other creators can learn from them. You can find it at www.comicwriter.wordpress.com.

Thanks everyone,
Dan
www.comicwriter.wordpress.com
www.propertycrossroads.com

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
Hi, Cynthia--thanks for the kind words...yeah, we may be doing signings in the NY/CT/NJ over the spring and summer. For our first one, we decided to stick close to home.

Dave--that's great news...best of luck to you.

Yes, it's tough to find a reliable artist to work with. Way too often, you run into people who claim they're comics artists then find out all they can do and want to do is splash pages or pin-ups.

I have to admit I've been fairly lucky with my collaborators, despite a few sour experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.