The NeverEnding Story

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
What is the name of Bastian's Mom? I can't understand what name he is screaming out the window at the end of the movie. So, I watched it with subtitles and they didn't put it up. What's up with that?

So does anyone what name he said?

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Okay because I don't feel like going to bed yet, I did some googling. From all the sites I found it looks like in the film you aren't supposed to know (evidently in the closed captioning, if you use the closed captioning, it only says "yelling"). However it is meant to be the same name as for the Childlike Empress and that evidently is "Moon Child". Hope this helps (and I have to say googling "bastian's mother's name neverending story" got me these answers, like I didn't even try to be clever and make a shorter entry. Google is crazy good isn't it? It's making me soooo lazy!)

Right. Toothpaste. Stop this and go to bed!

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
In the book he yells out the Empress's name, which is 'Moon Child,' not his mother's name. I don't believe his mother's name is revealed in the film or the book or that Bastian wanting to name the Empress after his mother is a feature of the book, though I may be wrong. If you carefully watch the scene it does seem as if he is screaming 'Moon Child'. This may be a mistake of the filmmakers.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
Ah it's just in the movie he says that his mother has a really nice name or a wonderful name or something like that. So I assumed it was her name. I did see Neverending Story at Borders I'll probably buy it next time I'm over there.

I'm glad that it was made so that we aren't supposed to know what he is saying. I thought my hearing was going out.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's supposed to be moonchild, but I also like the idea of the audience not hearing the name. Adds a little extra magic to it, I think.

I've always liked this film, since I was a kid. The sequels are horrendous, but the first one is great.

"They look like big, good, strong hands, don't they?"

Breaks my heart every time.

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
The sequels are horrendous, but the first one is great.
I agree - I didn't bother finishing the second one because it was so terrible. The first one, though, is still on my top ten favorites.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
The film covers only the first half or so of the book. The rest of the story is quite wonderful, right up there with the Narnia books, Dunsany, and Lindsay, IMHO.

BlackViolet13

Registered
Reaction score
Ahhhh, I love Neverending Story! And yeah, we could never tell what the name was, either, so thanks for posting this! My kiddos got the movie this year for Christmas from my brother :)

Stormhawk

Angry Bunny Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.requirecookie.com
The name is indeed Moonchild (or Moon Child, depending on your preference).

If you don't understand it, it gives you *you* a chance to name the Empress, which brings you into it a little more. Just like at the end of the original Time Machine movie, he takes 3 books back to the future, but it isn't revealed what that are.

It is his name, at least in the movie, Bastian's line "What a shame they don't ask me. My mother, she had such a wonderful name.." reveals this.

It is my favourite movie of all time. I've seen it more times than I could possibly remember. It is a part of my childhood, it's a part of me.

When I grew up, I was shocked to find out how many people had not seen it. :(

However, my fiance loves it as well, so that makes up for it. ^_^

Also, if we have a boy child, we're naming him Bastian.

Last edited: