What to do?

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
As the Lifestyles Editor at a newspaper, I get press releases from publishing companies and from writers about when their books are going to be published. Lately, it seems, I've gotten a lot of writers calling me about their books coming out through PA.

A few months ago, I did an interview with a wonderfully sweet lady who's book was published by PA. It is a story about overcoming depression and how she did after her husband was disabled in an accident. They are both disabled, and she hopes to use funds from her royalty checks to build a house for them. I did the story for her, but this was before I knew all the bad about PA.

I'm not sure what to do. I hate to tear down her hopes and dreams, but I don't want her to set herself up for being crushed. Plus, she plans to let them publish her second book. She has been so sweet to me, calling me and thanking me for the story, which doesn't happen all that often. I just hate to see her throw away another book. I feel almost a moral obligation to let her know about them, but like I said, I hate to hurt her.

Plus, I have complete control over what I put in my section, because I am the editor. However, people can make complaints to the editor-in-chief or our publisher if I do something they don't like. So, what do I do when someone publishes another book through PA? Do the story and not a say a word about the company? Don't do the story and tell them what PA is like and risk getting in trouble? Do the story, but tell them what I know about PA and direct them to this Web site? I really don't know which way to go.

This has been bugging since I found out all the bad about PA.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. That's a hard one. What does your Editor-In-Chief think? What is the paper's journalistic responsibility? If you believe PA is a swindle (and it is), do you want the paper be complicit?

Personally, I'd call the woman and tell her I'd heard some disturbing things about PA, and thought she should know about it. Reference this site. We've seen how PA-ers will turn a deaf ear to this sometimes. You can't make her believe, but you can at least point the truth out to her.

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, as a lawyer, it's my job to be extremely cautious and advise my clients against any action that might subject them to liability, so I see risk everywhere. So, it may not be surprising that the idea of calling up someone to whom you owe no legal duty (different from a moral duty, but I can only address the legal one) and have no real relationship with, and telling her that the company she's planning to contract with (for the second book) is a scam, well, that worries me.

There's a cause of action in many states, known as something along the lines of "tortious interference with a business relationship," which basically establishes liablity for convincing someone to breach a contract. Now, I'm not giving individual legal advice here, and I don't know if the law in your jurisdiction would recognize this tort, and the truth of the scam might well be a defense, and it would seem unlikely that anyone would pursue any sort of lawsuit here, but there is some risk that you should be aware of.

There's a big difference between what's done here at AW -- answering questions and making information available to anyone who wants it -- and seeking out a specific person who is happy (wrongly, but still ...) with their publisher and telling them that they should switch publishers. We make information available and we welcome anyone who wants this information; we don't track down the PA authors and email/phone them to tell them anything.

Anyway, just a bit of legal information for you to consider. Which, of course, isn't the only factor in reaching an ethical decision. But your actions might well extend to your employer, rending the paper liable too, so you might want to consider discussing the options with your boss and getting a legal AND ethical opinion from the boss and in-house counsel, if there is one.

JD, not giving individual legal advice, just general information

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
The poor lady isn't going to build a house with her PA royalties. She'll learn that for herself soon enough.

Leaving her aside, could you do a feature article on the PA Controversy? Perhaps turn it over to your consumer advocate?

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I asked the associate editor about it before I left work today. She said we would handle it on a case by case basis. She also said, "For Heaven's sake, don't send your book to them."

Anyway, I still don't know what to do about the author in question. And, I'll talk to my editor tomorrow about doing a story about the controversy. Not sure how much good it will do, but if it keeps one person away from them, I guess it would be worth it.

Selcaby

Writer of wrongs
Registered
Reaction score
If she was stopping after just one book then talking to her might do more harm than good, but you can't let her send them her second one. Tell her about Atlanta Nights. Send her here if she has net access. (Don't they keep in touch with all their authors by email, anyway?)

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Many ideas for what to do need to be filtered through the personality of the person and the relationship they have with the person telling them...

Depending on those things, sending them here or giving them a copy of AN may backfire...