Realizing a Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephLondon

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!
When I joined this website a year ago, it was because I was a lonely writer who thought she'd never see the light at the end of the tunnel. Then, when I began commenting at QLH more often, it was because I'd finished my final draft and was ready to query myself. Only bits of light shone through the rejection letter covered tunnel. I thought I'd never make it anywhere, and I was close to giving up.

After understanding the publishing industry a bit more (and making my query a bit better after months of observing other ones), I realized that an agent for a new adult novel would be a hard, if not impossible, thing to come by. I decided to query publishing houses directly. More rejections flew in, more disappointment and self doubt.

UNTIL my acceptance email. It's with a small publisher, but that doesn't matter much to me. At twenty one (well, twenty two by the time it comes out), I'll be an actual published author. I never thought I'd see the day. I thought it'd be a hobby, something I dreamed about whilst doing my 9-5 job.

It's just the beginning of what I hope will be a long career and, as I fill out the cover sheet, it strikes me how real this all is.

If you're wading through rejections or struggling to finish your first draft, keep going. You won't regret it. You can only get somewhere if you try, and, as someone who has almost given up on numerous occasions, I can only be pleased that I didn't. Stick with it, guys!

saftpunk

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! :D I too am an aspiring novelist in my early twenties, so this is inspiring to hear. Thanks for the reminder to slog through this draft. And good luck going forward with your book.

StephLondon

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! :D I too am an aspiring novelist in my early twenties, so this is inspiring to hear. Thanks for the reminder to slog through this draft. And good luck going forward with your book.

I'm glad to be a reminder. I think the hardest part is that you have to be self motivating as an author. Good luck to you! I can't wait to hear about your deal in the future. And thank you!

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
I had a geometry teacher in high school who would joke, "Why are things always in the last place you look?" I sometimes feel that way about querying. The acceptance is always that last one . . . (Don't think about it too hard or you'll realize that's not strictly true. But whatever.) Anyway, congrats on landing that acceptance! Enjoy the ride!

StephLondon

Registered
Reaction score
I had a geometry teacher in high school who would joke, "Why are things always in the last place you look?" I sometimes feel that way about querying. The acceptance is always that last one . . . (Don't think about it too hard or you'll realize that's not strictly true. But whatever.) Anyway, congrats on landing that acceptance! Enjoy the ride!

This is so true!!! And thank you.

Thanks as well, Noveler7!!

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!
When I joined this website a year ago, it was because I was a lonely writer who thought she'd never see the light at the end of the tunnel. Then, when I began commenting at QLH more often, it was because I'd finished my final draft and was ready to query myself. Only bits of light shone through the rejection letter covered tunnel. I thought I'd never make it anywhere, and I was close to giving up.

After understanding the publishing industry a bit more (and making my query a bit better after months of observing other ones), I realized that an agent for a new adult novel would be a hard, if not impossible, thing to come by. I decided to query publishing houses directly. More rejections flew in, more disappointment and self doubt.

UNTIL my acceptance email. It's with a small publisher, but that doesn't matter much to me. At twenty one (well, twenty two by the time it comes out), I'll be an actual published author. I never thought I'd see the day. I thought it'd be a hobby, something I dreamed about whilst doing my 9-5 job.

It's just the beginning of what I hope will be a long career and, as I fill out the cover sheet, it strikes me how real this all is.

If you're wading through rejections or struggling to finish your first draft, keep going. You won't regret it. You can only get somewhere if you try, and, as someone who has almost given up on numerous occasions, I can only be pleased that I didn't. Stick with it, guys!

That is wonderful news! Congratulations!

Keyboard Cowboy

Professional Amateur
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! It's good to hear a success story like yours and I hope I can do what you've done one day!

Status
Not open for further replies.