Status
Not open for further replies.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
According to information released by the White House on Friday, the president and first lady Laura Bush paid $187,768 on income of $735,180. Cheney and his wife, Lynne, made more than 10 times as much, but are entitled to a $1.9 million refund.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
maestrowork said:
According to information released by the White House on Friday, the president and first lady Laura Bush paid $187,768 on income of $735,180. Cheney and his wife, Lynne, made more than 10 times as much, but are entitled to a $1.9 million refund.

I hate being in the position of defending Dick Cheney :( but how much did they pay throughout the year? If they end up paying the same (or higher) percent than I (we) do, it's all relative. It is hard to believe someone as smart as Dickie boy would overpay by almost 2 million. He could have earned my annual salary just on the interest.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Yes, I read that.

They overpaid that much.

UN-Fortunately, we are paying in taxes this year. My husband only paid through August 29th, then lost his job due to Katrina. We continued to earn money in other ways, of course, but never paid further taxes in.

So, we owe.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Oops, never mind.

But $6.8m in donations? He must be really generous. But it sure is one way to cut down on your taxes.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
The Cheneys donated about $6.87 million to charity from the stock options and royalties earned on Mrs. Cheney's books: "America: A Patriotic Primer," "A is for Abigail: An Almanac of Amazing American Women" and "When Washington Crossed the Delaware: A Wintertime Story for Young Patriots."

Recipients of their charitable donations included: George Washington University Medical Faculty Associates for the benefit of the Cardiothoracic Institute, the University of Wyoming Foundation and Capital Partners for Education, to benefit low-income high school students in the Washington area.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
William Haskins said:
mr/mrs cheney's 2005 income: $8.82 million
donated to charity: $6.87 million
income after charitable contributions: $1.95 million
taxes owed on that amount: $529,636
amount of withholding and estimated taxes paid in 2005: 2.46 million
refund due: $1.93 million

hardly seems scandalous.

Um, I will freely admit than I'm an idiot when it comes to math (and other things), but how can you pay Uncle Sam more than you make? I guess he could have borrowed from China, which seems to be the hot ticket these days. Oh well. Once Dickie gets his deferred income from Halliburton, I'm sure it will all balance out nicely.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
The Cheneys donated about $6.87 million to charity from the stock options and royalties earned on Mrs. Cheney's books: "America: A Patriotic Primer," "A is for Abigail: An Almanac of Amazing American Women" and "When Washington Crossed the Delaware: A Wintertime Story for Young Patriots."

Recipients of their charitable donations included: George Washington University Medical Faculty Associates for the benefit of the Cardiothoracic Institute, the University of Wyoming Foundation and Capital Partners for Education, to benefit low-income high school students in the Washington area.
Dick Cheney is starting to sound like a real upstanding person, go figure?

P.S. I donated a mere $100 last year to the Katrina relief fund. Anyone else donate time or money for a cause (err...Ray???)

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
he got his last payment from halliburton in 05:

The Cheneys' income included the vice president's $205,031 government salary and $211,465 in deferred compensation from Halliburton Co., the Dallas-based energy services firm he headed until Aug. 16, 2000.

Cheney elected in December 1998 to recoup over five years a portion of the money he made in 1999 as chief executive officer of Halliburton. This amount was to be paid in annual installments — with interest — after Cheney's retirement from Halliburton. The 2005 payment is the last.

one can set one's withholding in such a way as to drastically overpay taxes, and estimated tax payments are based on previous years.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
SC Harrison said:
Um, I will freely admit than I'm an idiot when it comes to math (and other things), but how can you pay Uncle Sam more than you make? I guess he could have borrowed from China, which seems to be the hot ticket these days. Oh well. Once Dickie gets his deferred income from Halliburton, I'm sure it will all balance out nicely.

According to the article, his contributions were mostly through donating stocks, so there was really no cash involved. You still have to pay taxes on stock sales, I assume, but his charitable donations would offset that AFTER he filed his return. That's how I read it.

I AM, however, surprised that he donated that much.

ETA: Actually I think that's a good tax strategy...

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
dig up some tax returns on some of the bleeding heart, multi-millionaire limousine liberals who want higher taxes and cry for the cameras about the plight of the downtrodden, and see how much they really pay in taxes and donate to charities...

then you'll really be surprised.

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Here's an irrelevant sidenote: Bush and Cheney are both in the position of having no living expenses. It frees up money some of us might use for rent.

Plus - I don't think any expenses are out of pocket if you are the president.

And, they don't even have to pay their help (maids, secretaries, gardeners, etc.) out of their own money.................

ETC.

I haven't been able to donate much in the way of actual cash to help anything; I did donate some money to the Tsunami fund.

But, I have always volunteered my time by helping out at the local nursing home. In fact, that's how I am spending my afternoon today.

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
dig up some tax returns on some of the bleeding heart, multi-millionaire limousine liberals who want higher taxes and cry for the cameras about the plight of the downtrodden, and see how much they really pay in taxes and donate to charities...

then you'll really be surprised.

Unless they are public servants, why would that personal information be available? I'm sure it's confidential.

PS: Compassion isn't always measured in dollars.

big1.jpg

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
You're definitely right about Huffington and on this issue. I was just saying in general, there are hypocrites on all sides.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if no one else wants to say it, I think it's nice that the VP gave nearly 78% of his 2005 income to charity.

Status
Not open for further replies.