Status
Not open for further replies.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I'm looking for a pet name one would call a young new mother in Swedish. Something like "mamacita" in Spanish ("little mother"). I know "mother" means "Mor" but how would a native Swedish speaker give it an affectionate twist?

Thanks in advance.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mutti would be common, but not sure if it fits your needs. Just a name for a mother, like mom, momma or mummy might be. Technically, I think it's German, but seems like it applies to any Scandinavian family as well.

Jeff

laazy

Epic procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
The closest I can think of is "Lilla Mamsen", which basically means little mommy.

And mutti is not a swedish word.

laazy

Epic procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
"Mutti" is indeed German, and not what I'm after. Laazy, is there a contraction that might be affectionate slang for "mor"?

Mamsen is slang, and the most affectionate word for mother I can think of. :)

Weirdmage

Registered
Reaction score
Mamsen is slang, and the most affectionate word for mother I can think of. :)

I'm Norwegian, not Swedish, but I had SVT [the Swedish BBC for those outside the Nordic countries] for 35 years before moving to the UK. I agree with you. But I also just wonder if there's something that could be said associated with morsan?

laazy

Epic procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm Norwegian, not Swedish, but I had SVT [the Swedish BBC for those outside the Nordic countries] for 35 years before moving to the UK. I agree with you. But I also just wonder if there's something that could be said associated with morsan?

I'd say morsan is more of a "lazy" word rather than affectionate. Or a bit of both.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Thanks, all. I'm going with "mamsen" because it sounds right, from what you said. Also there's a vague, naggy memory of my Swedish grandmother possibly saying it, so...

Much appreciated! Tak så mycket!

Status
Not open for further replies.