Editor gift following book deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know it's quite commonplace to get your agent a thank you gift when they secure a book deal for you. But is it the norm to get your new editor a gift too?

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I don't know the norm. I'm not published, so I have no experience in that.

I know that in the financial services industry (my current employer) gifting someone who just agreed to pay you is considered a major conflict of interest violation. Seems too much like a tit-for-tat.

Even small gifts. That's a hard line to draw, so my employer simply says, "Don't".

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My published friends tend to give gifts to their editors at Christmas time only (along with their agents--and whatever agent's staff they work with a lot). But at a contract signing? No, I haven't heard of that.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Would a box of cookies hurt??

Well, the way I see it, they're taking 10-15% of whatever you sell, so it's sort of quid pro quo. Give them a call or send them a wonderful email, and if it's really bothering you, get them a Starbucks Gift card. Book-type people like that.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I know it's quite commonplace to get your agent a thank you gift when they secure a book deal for you. But is it the norm to get your new editor a gift too?

Would a box of cookies hurt??

Well, the way I see it, they're taking 10-15% of whatever you sell, so it's sort of quid pro quo. Give them a call or send them a wonderful email, and if it's really bothering you, get them a Starbucks Gift card. Book-type people like that.

Yeah, I always assumed the 10-15% was the thank you for your agent.

As far as giving an editor a gift for signing you, I've never heard of that before. I wouldn't if I were you. They're just doing their job.

I agree with the earlier comment that if you get along with them, a small holiday gift might be appropriate, but not for the contract.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
After you've worked with the editor you'll have a personal relationship with her.

Various publishers send me holiday cards every year. I've given various editors small holiday gifts ... a coffee mug filled with Hershey Kisses, for example. But that's after the point where you also know the names of their pets, and they know the names of your kids, and, as I said, you have a personal relationship.

But if your question is, "Is it expected?" the answer is, no. No one will even notice if you don't.

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is interesting as I see some people think even an agent shouldn't get a gift on securing a book deal but asked a couple of published friends last night and they said they did send a gift to their agent to say thanks for their hard work, and one even sent a gift to their editor. Maybe it's a UK thing?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I send champagne on the book's release day. (To publisher, agent, editor and - for my sins - copyeditor.) No-one's ever complained...

Matthew Hughes

Old Pro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewhughes.org

No. If you and your editor develop a relationship, a gift on a particular occasion, like Christmas or your first entry into the bestseller lists, would be appropriate.

But when you start out, it's simply a business relationship. Would you give your insurance agent a gift after taking out a policy?

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
I gave my agent a bale of hay after I got Monkeys, Pandas, and Interactive Pandora Refrigerators published. He loved it! I suggest that you get your agent a bale of hay. :)

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
This is interesting as I see some people think even an agent shouldn't get a gift on securing a book deal but asked a couple of published friends last night and they said they did send a gift to their agent to say thanks for their hard work, and one even sent a gift to their editor. Maybe it's a UK thing?

Securing a book deal is their job. That's what they get a 15% cut for. It's different if you have a really personal relationship with them. But not everyone does.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Diamonds are always nice; anything made of cashmere; cash, actually, if you're pushed for time.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I've frequently given gifts to my editor and agent. No, it's not required, but it's a little nicety that I offer to others in my life (my day job boss and co-workers for example).

I once had muffins and coffee delivered to the entire production staff (including accounting!) at the publisher because they're so often forgotten in the daily race to get the book on the shelf. The truth is, people like to be appreciated whether or not it's a requirement.

If you choose to send something, do so. Or ask if there's a particular charity the editor favors. Hurricane Sandy victims were my agent's and editor's charity of choice for the last holiday season. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.