Survival of the Sexy

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Totally explains why I survive.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323551004578116903873762428.html?mod=wsj_share_tweet

Some years ago, the evolutionary psychologist Geoffrey Miller in his book "The Mating Mind" explored the notion that since human males woo their mates with art, poetry, music and humor, as well as with brawn, much of the expansion of our brain may have been sexually selected.

Recently Jason Collins and two colleagues at the University of Western Australia, in a discussion paper posted on the Web, have made the case that sexual selection explains civilization itself. They mathematically explored the possibility that "as females prefer males who conspicuously consume, an increasing proportion of males engage in innovation, labor and other productive activities in order to engage in conspicuous consumption. These activities contribute to technological progress and economic growth."

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
So, by extension, are we biologically programmed to consume our planet, and be attracted to those who will help us do that?
Aren't all species?

Of course, we also have the biological capacity to moderate our behavior for longer term benefit. So I guess this concept begs the question of what the patterns of sexual selection cover -- which actually comes out to a whole raft of questions: Do we select only for the drive to consume, or are we selecting for a mate who will be driven to produce so that we may consume? Are we selecting for productivity or for non-productive supportiveness so that we may have the time and energy to fulfill our own individual drive to produce and consume? Or are we selecting for intelligence to produce and consume for maximum benefit? Do such patterns of selection remain constant, indicating a trajectory for the species? Or do they vary, and if so, do they vary by location or by period, or both?

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm willing to support any voluntary program that will open new vistas to those humans who select for conspicuous consumption, and thereby encourage them to move away from me.

Seraph

Registered
Reaction score
figaroooooooooooooo

Last edited:

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Funny how this completely ignores the role of the female (assuming the competing for mates scenario) in sexual selection. Wouldn't females require sophisticated capacities for discernment, judgment, evaluation of potential mates, etc.? Why aren't these qualities mentioned in sexual selection?

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Funny how this completely ignores the role of the female (assuming the competing for mates scenario) in sexual selection. Wouldn't females require sophisticated capacities for discernment, judgment, evaluation of potential mates, etc.? Why aren't these qualities mentioned in sexual selection?

It actually doesn't ignore it at all. Did you read the article?

In human beings, females compete for males as well as vice versa. In many species, sexual selection is a force that acts on only one sex, usually the male. Peahens, which can share the best males and don't require them to be diligent parents after mating, do not grow colorful tails. But in other species, notably some seabirds and parrots, where males and females share parenting duties equally, both sexes are equally colorful—a result of competition by both sexes to attract the best mates.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
The way the article paints us, we aren't actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but we humans do not. We move to an area and multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed, and the only way we can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. We're a plague.
/plagiarism

That's...not how animals work at all.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Indeed. Just because a line sounds cool in The Matrix doesn't mean it has any scientific validity.

Kriven

Banned
Reaction score
Website
gallerylost.blogspot.com
The way the article paints us, we aren't actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but we humans do not. We move to an area and multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed, and the only way we can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. We're a plague.
/plagiarism

I don't suppose you've seen what happens when you have deer without wolves, have you?

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
So human males do creative stuff to attract human females?

Why do human females do creative stuff?

You're inferring that the article is claiming that the sole reason males do "creative stuff" is as part of courtship related to sexual reproduction. The article does not claim that.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
You're inferring that the article is claiming that the sole reason males do "creative stuff" is as part of courtship related to sexual reproduction. The article does not claim that.

I only write for the groupies.

Seraph

Registered
Reaction score
Indeed. Just because a line sounds cool in The Matrix doesn't mean it has any scientific validity.

Now you're calling my science into question. Cuts me deep.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, where are all these males allegedly trying to woo me with their creativity? I want one.